Will I still be able to drive these tires with a suspension fault?

TimboCampbell

I apologize for yet another tire question, though I genuinely couldn't find an answer on this or other boards.

I looking to put on some OEM 18" alloy wheels with some BFG KO2 265/60R18's onto my 2006 LR3 (which currently has the stock 255/55R19 wheel).

NB, I'm looking to buy the wheels from here unless I can find them used cheaper elsewhere.

The KO2 265/60R18 are only slightly bigger at 30.5" diameter/10.4" width, opposed to the stock wheel which is 30"/10".

My question is if there was the commonly talked about suspension fault that results in the car lowering itself down to the bump stocks, can I still crawl out with these tires, or will the car end up resting on the tire?

I'm on the trail far less than the highway, and in snow most winters, but I still want something more capable than the highway tire (without going stupidly big). This seems like a sensible choice. Does anyone else have any experience with this size tire/wheel combo? Any negatives I should know about? Rubbing? It's less wheel than the 19 inch obviously but slightly more rubber, so I'm assuming it won't affect fuel economy too drastically, nor add extra force onto the suspension components?

And I'm also assuming any reputable tire shop will be able to easily fit and balance the new wheels without much fuss, or without the LR3 needing any modifications/relocating sensors/re-calibrating sensors etc?

Thank you for your help in advance. I'm a long-time listener, first-time caller.

Howski

Think you should be able to but get a GAP tool (or similar) and never worry about being stuck on the bump stops again

Thatmerickson

Hey Timbo, I am running 275/65/R18s (Falken Wildpeak A/T), I have been having my fair share of suspension problems myself, mainly due to the cold climate I am currently subject to (Fairbanks, AK). That however is a gripe for another time. Anyways, what I have found out is that with these tires (slightly bigger than the ones you are suggesting if my math is correct) is that when she hits the bump stops I can still drive....in a straight line...on flat level ground. I mean this completely too, if I tried to turn the slightest amount it will rub and if for some reason there were a mouse in the road to run over it would cause the rubber to hit on the inner fender. In fact, with these Falkens on and the Rover in access I can drive it in the garage, but any turning is out of the question, I have to get her lined up correct and then lowered down. If you are relying on being able to drive out on the bump stops as plan A it probably won't end well. I would agree with Howski that picking up a GAP tool is a good course of action, definitely won't fix every issue there is out there but when you're in the middle of nowhere with snow blowing sideways at Mach 2 it can be a good backdoor to get your ride back up to drivable height and get home. Just throw it in the glovebox and never worry about getting stranded again!!

canoel

You won't have any problems on the bump stops with those. I also run 275/65r18s which are just over 32", and can manage as long as I don't turn too sharp.

billiebob

If the rims clear the brakes the only potential issue is steering stops which can be easily adjusted. After 40 years in the Wrangler world, just git 'er done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues