Wiring in Fridge/Freezers

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
My Engel should arrive on Tuesday! I was thinking on it and trying to plan ahead, and was wondering what you all did for your wiring and if you could do it all over again what would you do differently?

Any input will help out.

Thanks!
Wil

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Hi, Wil,
I have a multi-outlet adapter (fancy 3 outlet cigarette lighter) in the rear of the 40 (day trips) and a single outlet inside the Adventure Trailer.

So far I have only used the trailer setup. But so far so good.

I'll keep an eye on it as I have heard that these plugs can be temperamental and lose contact sometimes.

Maybe someone else will chime in here...

Ed

gjackson

FRGS
I installed a power point that I got at Checker. It is a 'waterproof' unit with a flip opening for pickup beds. I wired it into a circuit coming off my yellow top. Plug the fridge in and forget. Hasn't failed me yet.

cheers

LostSol

I really wanna put a fridge in my 97 xcab taco. And engle is literally 3mins away from my store, in jupiter. Maybe ill stop in and visit them.
It doesn't seem like wiring it would be a big deal, but mounting it may become an issue for me.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I am still looking to find a 12V plug that I can hard wire into my rigs... A spare 120V plug is simple (common computer plug). However, I can't seem to find the 12V one anywhere. I wanted to keep the cig. lighter one in one peice so I could still use the cooler in other rigs...

Any thoughts? Anyone know of a source for the 12V plug (without paying the $20 for a complete cord/plug just to cut it up)?

LostSol

If you just looking for a ciggarette lighter female end... any auto parts store has them for under 8 bucks... I probably have 10 different kinds for different vehicles. Any of them will work all u need is a mount with a hole in it. and some terminal flags to plug onto the ends that are on the outlet.
Hope this helps!
Shawn

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
LostSol said:
If you just looking for a ciggarette lighter female end...

I'm actually looking for the male end of the cord that plugs into the Engel unit... I have a bunch of the cig adapters, 3 ways, etc, but I don't want to run the freezer through one, rather I want to have a dedicated line for it in my Trail Trailer without trashing the original, I am trying to dig up a pic of the plug end I need...

The one on the left (right one is a common 120V computer cord)
ARBplug1.jpg

Male end
ARBplug2.jpg

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Kurt - check for that plug here - http://www.digikey.com/

you will have to search the PDF's for your exact plug if you don't see it listed give them an email -

I just ordered a bunch of 12v outlets and shrink tubing from them - the 12v outlets for 2.66 each (just like the marinco at west marine for 12.99) you have to order 10 at a time...

Wil -

On the fridge install - I ran (2) #8 awg wires to the spot under the seat in the back passenger side - one outlet for the Engel and one for a spare 12v for charging camera and video batteries. Engel requires a dedicated 10 amp circut - I used the Blue sea fuse block and located it on top of the OEM fuse box (made it removable to access the OEM fuses).

The Engel is mounted on the slidelok and wrapped in a transit bag - I also included the Engel temp gauge to monitor the inside - last thing I would add are the Engel hinge locks to keep the lid on when lifting at odd angles

I don't think I would change a thing :)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Dang! :Wow1:

If and when you do source them - be sure and let me know- in the mean time I am still looking :ylsmoke:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Here is a pic of my setup. I ran 2ga cable all the way to the back of the rig to run an inverter. I built a wooden box to hold the fridge and the inverter is inside of it. Where the 2ga cable ties into the box, i installed a marine grade cig lighter in the back of the box.

Here are a couple pics:

batdiagramnew.jpg

Here is the box that i built with the front panel installed. I dont have a pic of the rear of the box, but the rear cig adapter is constant 12v and the fronts are switched

box4.jpg

The plus side to this is that when i went to Baja for new years, my buddy brought along his fridge as well and we plugged a Y into the hot cig adapter and run BOTH fridges from it, we set his on Freeze and set mine on Fridge! Worked like a champ!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven