Woody's Wagon

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Looks great so far! I'm building a teardrop as well and did the "poor mans fiberglass" and am impressed with the results. I wish I would have spent more time making all of my cuts clean and uniform, but that is about it. FYI, it took almost two gallons of primer to fill the weave of the canvas on my 5x8.

glake

Looks great so far! I'm building a teardrop as well and did the "poor mans fiberglass" and am impressed with the results. I wish I would have spent more time making all of my cuts clean and uniform, but that is about it. FYI, it took almost two gallons of primer to fill the weave of the canvas on my 5x8.

Yeah, my cuts are less than stellar. I'm thinking about coating with roof coating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glake

After doing a bit of research, I nixed the idea of using roof coating. Apparently it tends to get chalky.

I got the doors canvased and primed everything. I then started painting. I lost track of how many coats I did. The trailer changed colors about four times as I decided to use up some of the left over cans of paint around the house. Right now it's a beige/brown color. The final coat of gloss white should go on tomorrow. After the first couple of coats, I got out the caulking gun and decided to try and clean up some of my bad cuts. I ran a bead of caulk along the seam and then spread it out with my finger. I think it helped make my seam look a bit better.

I also got some paint on the battery box that will go on the front of the trailer. I used some Bilgekote I had from a boat project on the inside. It's not in the picture, but the outside also got primed today.

glake

It's been a productive week. I finished up the painting.

I got the windows mounted. For the doors, I went down to Ecology Auto Parts and pulled a couple of windows out of a Chevy van. The frames had a curve to them, but the glass is straight. I notched the aluminum frames to allow them to bend, clamped them into the doors, and screwed them in on the inside of the frame. Worked out pretty well. The smaller windows were a couple I had laying around.

Installed the roof vent.

Got the rear doors mounted. I also decided to break up the white a bit with a grey stripe. I used UV resistant PVC molding from Home Depot to no only separate the two colors, but also hide the canvas seems.

Yesterday, I mounted the interior cabinet doors and worked on the electrical.

I also added carpet to the inside.

Today's plan is to finish up the electric. I got the the interior lights done yesterday, but need to finish the galley.

glake

Took it for a pull the beginning of the week. First time since the body has been built. It towed very well.

Last weekend I finished up the electrical. I put a 12v socket and USB port in both the cabin and in the rear, along with a meter gauge. The USB had a small light that stayed on so I added a switch for it.

This weekend I installed drip caps over the side doors and rear door. My dad made them out of sheet metal (he's a retired A/C guy).

After making some screens for the small side windows, my wife came up with a brilliant idea for door screens. I made these roll up screens. They velcro up out of the way when not in use and they have a strip of wood to weight down the bottom with velcro to hold it in place when down. You can see the velcro straps hanging down in the first picture and the strip of wood at the bottom of the door. Sorry the pictures aren't that great. I used the phone.

And I pretty much finished up the kitchen adding some adjustable shelves to the upper shelves and using the leftover carpet to line all of the storage places. The final pieces are in the works. I'm making fold-down tables that attach to the inside of both rear doors.\

Planning the shake-drown this coming weekend. I'm planning to head up to Big Bear Lake from interstate 15 via the Cleghorn Ridge Trail. I plan to stay on dirt all the way from the 15 to Big Bear City. Wish me luck!

glake

Success! Just got back from an overnight trip to Big Bear Lake and I couldn't be happier with the results. The trailer rode well, towed well and did great.

Hitting the road Saturday morning.

On the trail near Silverwood Lake

On the way to Lake Arrowhead

Camped at Holcomb Valley Campground

Now that it's done and tested, I think I'll sell it and start in on another!

Maab_Connor

Wannabe - so far
awesome build! i like how simple you kept it.

you think you're done? do you not read these build threads? you're NEVER actually DONE.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Looks awesome! You learn a lot building these, so I can understand wanting to sell it and start another! I'd love to do just that.

jeeper92

Adventurer
A couple of questions

Love this build.
Could you elaborate on the poor mans fiberglass method?
Also your doors look great, I considering building my own after I saw the prices of the doors at some of the places. Have you had any leaking issues?
Thanks for any and all help

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Not a bad little build! I need to add some drip edges to mine also. Dang you guys! I keep seeing **** I need to do on mine...********:victory: Enjoy your trailer!

glake

Love this build.
Could you elaborate on the poor mans fiberglass method?
Also your doors look great, I considering building my own after I saw the prices of the doors at some of the places. Have you had any leaking issues?
Thanks for any and all help

Basically, it's watered down Titebond II glue painted on the trailer and then canvas laid over it while still wet. You then paint it with multiple coats of exterior latex.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Poor-Mans-Fiberglass-make-nearly-anything-weatherp/

Sealing the doors were a bit of a challenge. I tried a couple different types of weather stripping. Finally found some at HD that worked well.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-1-2-in-x-17-ft-White-Tubular-Vinyl-Gasket-V18WH/100189806

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner