Would you consider moving from XJ to WJ and upgrade?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Minivan styling was mentioned by a couple, but it can also go the other way. How many modded WJs do you pass on a daily basis. I pass several "kids" with modded XJs, no offense to the youngsters on the board. Is a modded WJ the adult Jeep expo vehicle?

I think that is a good observation; the WJ is the more "adult" Jeep. That said, I'm an "old guy" and like both. I'm also kinda bummed that when I got into the 4x4 thing in the early 90s I didn't consider a FSJ. The 80s sucked for North American cars so I was a Japanese vehicle bigot at the time. Still am to a certain extent.

Getting back to the WJ being the adult Jeep thing...

In the Jeep line up it was meant to go against the Range Rover and the Lexus... LX470 I guess. So, yeah, old people, upscale yuppie machine. :)

Unfortunately the WJ doesn't really compete with those vehicles. North American "luxury" vehicles tend to just be power everything, aircon and cheap leather seating surfaces. North American manufacturers really don't understand the luxury vehicle market.

But that's ok, us Jeepers tend not to care. The WJ is a great vehicle when considered in isolation and arguably is a better platform to build into a machine that will be used off-road. Between the solid axles, lots of "corporate" DNA making aftermarket parts approachable from a design and cost factor, and just accessibility I'd take the WJ over the RR or LX of similar vintage (MY95 and earlier RR is intriguing). The WJ is a cheaply made vehicle but it is certainly more than adequate for any usage I'd put it through.

Last edited:

Xjaddiction

Observer
I've owned and built 2 XJ's and an MJ, and now moved into a ZJ. I found a nice 5.9L (360 V-8) to build, and I absolutely love it. More comfortable, and has a back seat my girls don't mind sitting in. All around great vehicle. Not too big, and the power is crazy.
As for LP and T-cases etc., that's an easy swap. I have a HP30 out of a XJ, and a HD 231 t-case in my grand now, and they are bolt on.
Skip the 4.0L's i n the Grands, as they got less power with all the emission controls added on, plus the heavier weight. As an expo rig with bigger tires/lifts/gear etc. you'll like the V-8 much better.

The WJ's are also very build-able, and one with the 4.7 or the 4.7 H.O V-8. would be a really nice vehicle to build. They are so inexpensive now too. I say go with the WJ or even the ZJ. I love the little cherokees, but what you would spend re-building one would be better spent on a newer more family expedition friendly Grand.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Just to make sure there is no confusion...

The WMS-WMS width of a WJ axle is wider than the previous unibody Jeeps. The control arm geometry is slightly different as well. There is no quick and dirty upgrade to a high pinion Dana 30 or Dana 44 for the WJ. :(

Also note that the wheel bolt pattern is different (5 on 5" vs 5 on 4.5" on the older stuff).

troy

Adventurer
Just to make sure there is no confusion...

Also note that the wheel bolt pattern is different (5 on 5" vs 5 on 4.5" on the older stuff).

I see the bolt pattern as a benefit, as you can get new rubicon take-offs with tires for less than the cost of new tires. Add a slight lift and you're good to go.

Inc

Observer
If I were looking at a 2001 WJ and a 2001 XJ, same mileage, quality and build, I'm taking the WJ every time.

wjeeper

Having owned both I would take the WJ personally. They are just a little bigger and a bit heavier but I still feel they are a good base for an expo build. Big enough to sleep in and I felt the seats were more comfortable for long road stretches. I set my rig up for rock use (wish i never did) and it was just as capable as a comparable XJ.
P1010127.jpg

Personally I would look for one with the strait six. I tend to see many more 4.7's in the salvage yards around Utah. When I was searched for a used set of injectors nearly every yard I called/ looked through never seemed to have a 4.0 in their inventory. However in the same breath I really like the power advantage a 4.7 has over my 4.0.

In dealing with several WJ's (mine, two friends and a friends mom's wj) I would look for rusted out coil mounts on the front axle, the rubber isolator the coil rests on seems to trap moisture. All four of them have had rust in under the isolator (look at the coil bucket on the left side)
P1010008.jpg

If I were to build one again I would look one with a 4.0, do a gas tank lift, put a 4" short arm lift on, sliders, buy some JK Rubicon take-offs tire and wheels and run the hell out of it. (my friend has JK rubi take-offs and they look great and fit with 2" lift and some trimming.)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
You are in Utah?

You've seen multiple Jeeps with the rusted out coil mount?

I've never seen that... ever. I'm in the salt belt and have repurposed 20 year old XJ axles and have never seen anything like that.

Freaky.

wjeeper

You are in Utah?

You've seen multiple Jeeps with the rusted out coil mount?

I've never seen that... ever. I'm in the salt belt and have repurposed 20 year old XJ axles and have never seen anything like that.

Freaky.

I am in Salt Lake Utah. I have seen it on three WJ's actually! (all were rusted on the drivers side oddly enough) Never seen anything similar on much older XJ, TJ or ZJ axles however.

My guess is that the different coil bucket/ Isolator design on the WJ traps moisture under the isolator causing the rust. Just something I have run into when considering a WJ.

inked33

Adventurer
ive had 2 xj's and i personally prefer the wj. the extra room is nice when loading a family for a camping trip and are more comfortable for long drives.

both the xj and the wj have their pros and cons. both are very capable off-road and really just comes down to which one you like better?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I am in Salt Lake Utah. I have seen it on three WJ's actually! (all were rusted on the drivers side oddly enough) Never seen anything similar on much older XJ, TJ or ZJ axles however.

My guess is that the different coil bucket/ Isolator design on the WJ traps moisture under the isolator causing the rust. Just something I have run into when considering a WJ.

That's crazy, especially when you look at the condition of the rest of the axle.

Something to keep an eye out for I guess.

Is there a kit to swap a different rear axle into a WJ, while keeping the stock upper control arm/A-arm setup?

I thought an XJ front axle was close enough to swap in a WJ? What would it take to complete that? I know they are narrower, so s spidertrax adapter would be in order, which would correct the width & the bolt pattern at the same time. What else?

wjeeper

Is there a kit to swap a different rear axle into a WJ, while keeping the stock upper control arm/A-arm setup?

I thought an XJ front axle was close enough to swap in a WJ? What would it take to complete that? I know they are narrower, so s spidertrax adapter would be in order, which would correct the width & the bolt pattern at the same time. What else?

Iron Rock Offroad offers a bracket set to swap a JK 44's into a WJ. The brackets are 400 for the front and 350 for the rear. With a little extra work you could make them fit other axles I would imagine.

When I swapped my high pinion 44/ ford 9" combo I carefully cut the old brackets off the stock axle and transferred them over. Its way too much work in my opinion! You spend hours and hours grinding and cutting to get them off!
P1010036.jpg

And no a XJ front wont bolt up to a WJ, way different brackets. Neither will JK axles.

If memory serves me right:
*XJ front is 60", 5 on 4.5" lug pattern
*WJ front is 63", 5 on 5" lug pattern
*and a full width Ford Dana 44 is 65", 5 on 5.5 pattern.

You can hardly tell that my grand had full widths under it since it is only a few inches different anyways. The big kicker with an axle swap on a WJ is that if you eliminate the rear ABS you loose your speedometer and the transmission wont shift out of first gear. There are ways around it but just something else to consider. If you have any other questions about the swap let me know.

Here are some pics of my Ford 9" and HP Dana 44 before I put em in:
P1010020.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

alosix

Expedition Leader
Personally I would look for one with the strait six. I tend to see many more 4.7's in the salvage yards around Utah. When I was searched for a used set of injectors nearly every yard I called/ looked through never seemed to have a 4.0 in their inventory. However in the same breath I really like the power advantage a 4.7 has over my 4.0.

See, I'd take this in the other direction. Lots of 4.7s in salvage yards means 2 things to me:
1.) Lots of spare parts/easy swaps.
2.) If they are for sale in the salvage yards, they still work. Lack of 4.0s could mean the salvage yards aren't getting any good 4.0s in after wrecks.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online