Would you purchase a Honda Element again?

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
As the title suggest. Would purchase an Element again?
I have looked at this and a Subaru Outback and I can't decide which one to go forward with.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I am not going to be able your question directly. But, I had to choose between a Subaru Forester and an Element a few years ago. I thought the Element was more versatile but the Subbie was better built. The Forester won, but I often wish I had chosen the Honda. I had to loose the Subaru because it didnt have the capacity I needed. I assume you have test driven them both? I would go as far to borrow one and bring it home and pack it like you would for a trip. You really cant tell how big something is until you put your crap in it.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Good topic. I've always liked the idea of the Element and I'm a huge Honda fan... just don't have any real-world experience with this particular model. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say as I'd consider getting one someday when our Subaru goes bye-bye.

kcowyo said:
Why do you post everything in bold font? ...:box:
+1 :confused:

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
Yes I have drove both vehicles. The Subaru has more comforts (specially the LL Bean edition) and I liked the huge sunroof. But the element seems more useful and I loved the flat floors. I need something that is AWD, gets above 25 MPG on HWY, seats 4 and can carry two kayaks. So these two vehicles are the choices I am down too. Also needs to be available as a used vehicle, as I don't purchase new vehicles.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I can't comment on Element vs Subaru, but a friend has an Element and a Ridgeline, and he wishes he had not bought the Element. He says the Element is an order of magnitude less refined.

ThomD

Explorer
sacto_patrol said:
Yes I have drove both vehicles. The Subaru has more comforts (specially the LL Bean edition) and I liked the huge sunroof. But the element seems more useful and I loved the flat floors. I need something that is AWD, gets above 25 MPG on HWY, seats 4 and can carry two kayaks. So these two vehicles are the choices I am down too. Also needs to be available as a used vehicle, as I don't purchase new vehicles.

Watch out, I know it isn't the model you are looking at, but a Forester XT will not get 25 mpg. Otherwise I love ours, I just wish it was a little bigger.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Back when I still owned my Outback I seriously considered an Element. The funky styling was appealing but even moreso was the utilitarian layout. And it has an honest-to-God tailgate! When was the last time you saw one of those on an SUV?

Ultimately, however, I decided against it for a number of reasons:

1. Ground clearance is really pathetic. And as I frequenly point out, the gas tank is one of the lowest hanging bits - not a smart design feature and I have no idea why Honda did it this way.

2. MPG really not all that great. I think the current Elements are rated at something like 21-24. My Tacoma will do 22-23 reliably on the highway and it's orders of magnitude more capable off-road. I'm guessing the Element's boxy shape is the culprit here. A trip to the Honda Element message boards will give you a good idea of what people are getting in the "real world" but I doubt that an Element would return 25mpg with anything strapped to the roof, wheareas I regularly got 25-28mpg in my Outback (a 1999 model with an auto tranny.)

3. Although the interior looks like a "wash it with a hose" type, it's actually not. There are compartments underneath that will get waterlogged if you try it (I spent a considerable amount of time at some Honda Element message boards to discover this.)

4. Coming from a Subaru I'm really not impressed with Honda's "real time 4wd." It is actually fwd until you start slipping which IMO is too late to apply power to the rear wheels. I have also heard (not confirmed) that the Honda RT4WD system will not engage over 40 - 45 mph which makes it almost useless on slippery mountain roads.

5. Again, coming from a Subaru which seems to include a lot of "extras" in the base price (just two examples, RKE and Fog Lamps) the base model Element is pretty basic and doesn't include many frills. Not neccessarily a negative but it just doesn't feel like you're getting as much value for the money with an Element as it does with a Subaru.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Element is a great vehicle and if I lived in, say, Texas or Southern California or Florida, that would probably be my preferred vehicle. AWD is not neccessary, and ground clearance isn't really needed for the beach or the urban jungle so my two chief objections to the Element would be nullified (if I were going that route I'd probably go with the FWD version to save money, weight and gas.)

I love the idea of the utilitarian, boxy body that allows you to carry a lot of gear and can be configured into a variety of shapes, and while the interior isn't exactly wash-and-wear, cleaning it with a sponge would be much easier than the vacuuming and carpet-drying that you'd have to do on a "regular" car.

I only wish Honda had made something applying the same philosophy that was a bit more off-road oriented.

Last edited:

Ursa Minor

Element experience

Ok, I think there's only me and PaulJ that are Element guys on here, and he's probably got more seat time in an E as I had other rigs in the stable for trips during my ownership.

So...
1. Ground clearance is not great. The gas tank impacts the breakover angle primarily, as there's very little overhang up front so I snag the front suspension first if there's ruts. There aren't any lifts on the market, but some individuals have tackled it.

That said, I've had lots of fun in Anza and Baja just have to think a bit before plunging down a trail, since the lack of low gears is also a barrier. Pick a line very carefully, I'm in/out of the car a lot on tricky terrain and a ramp or airbag -jack might be the best recovery gear.

2. MPG is 22-25 most of the time I think, I really don't pay too much attention as it's a daily driver for my wife of late. I did a run to Seattle & back in my Ecamper last xmas with 2 17' touring kayaks on the roof racks, a dresser + dog in back, baggage and 2 adults and the average for that trip was 22. The boats/rack was probably the biggest impact on mpg.

Interestingly, comparing across a couple different years/models the EX version is heaviest, the LX has a little less weight, and a DX (2003) should do best since it was pretty stripped. The more recent ones have additional air bags etc that add up.

My Tacoma with a 4 banger & 2WD did 22 for the couple years I had it. My D90 got 12 mpg on a good day, and I saw 2-3 mpg in low/low off road.

3. Many thought the D90 was "hosable" when it came out. It wasn't. Anyway, no need for a hose. A wet sponge is definitely all ya need after hitting it with shop vac or air hose (blast it out the back!) The front foot wells are supposed to hold water (from snow boots) but here in SoCal haven't really tested that. It is quite easy to clean with a whisk broom, which is great for sand.

4. AWD is sort of funny, if it slips there's a thunk and you get a little more traction. The front wheels are doing the work, and much like ol' VW's, the engine weight is over the drive wheels so it does pretty well.

5. Element is pretty basic and doesn't include many frills. Stereo works ok, power windows, ABS etc. EX has the frills of the line, I'd have gotten a DX stick (no radio!) if they'd still been selling that model. It's got some stuff built in - bins on dash, power ports, that sort of thing.

It's the volume that makes it truely handy - I just popped a full size washer in the back and had room for the dolly too. People in back have a lot of room if you've got passengers. A bike or two will fit in the back with the wheel off.

Things not previously mentioned:
- it's got some nasty blind spots due to the thick A pillar. After some driving you get used to it.
- it's bigger than it looks. It's not a mini SUV, it's as big a Jeep Cherokee (our company truck) which is maybe why the mpg isn't that great.
- it is ridiculously reliable. Recommended 10K oil change, engine is super common for Hondas, I haven't begun to explore aftermarket stuff for under the hood.

Like any rig, you're going to modify it for your use. Want a diesel? Should be a swap available when the Acura diesel hits next year. Don't like the gas tank location? Pull it out and mount inside. Better mileage? Slow off the line, remove unused gear and the back seats. Want to turn it into a pop top - I got ya covered.

cheers
John

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
John,
Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
I notice the blind spot on the test drive and thinking we are leaning towards the Outback.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
New owner here - not for overlanding, but for dd'ing. We got an 04 and we're coming from an 01 Forester. The Forester was nice, but ours was a lemon - one issue after another. The CEL was perpetually lit. It didn't sour me on the brand, but left a bad taste in my mouth nevertheless. Good riddance.

The 04 Element is really a marvel, imo. Its ironic that by engineering a box, Honda was really thinking outside the box. Its not a car you look at - although jalops among us can appreciate its quirky charm - but its a car you use. What appears to be a true lifestyle vehicle given my 20 minutes of seat time.

Ursa Minor

Great!

Did you go with AWD version? Before long, you'll be packing it for weekend trips...

Should mention that www.elementownersclub.com is pretty much the source for all Element info, though not deep on the overlanding/camping/offroad. But when you want to reprogram your locking system, add an accessory or find out if you have an issue, definitely look there.

cheers
John

paulj

Expedition Leader
I have a 97 RAV4 and an 03 Element. The Element is the camping car of choice, with semi-permanent sleeping platform in place of the rear seats. (That is, I can easily remove it, but haven't in 3 years). It is also quieter, and peppier than the RAV4.

The RAV4 feels more sure-footed, though that probably has a much to do with its steering feel. The RAVs AWD is full time, but I'm not sure it is any better when the going gets slick. It's ground clearance is better.

Lengthwise they are about the same, but the Element is wider and taller. The difference in width at head level is most noticeable. The thing that stands out, when I switch between the two is the difference in turning circle. The
[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
RAVs circle is noticeably larger. I especially notice it when pulling into a parking spaces. On back roads it is easy to turn the Element around when the going gets too rough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat