wrangler JK Trail Tool Bag

A

AngryRedBird

So I'm wondering.. I have some extra oxygen tubing.. prob include that in the trail kit just in case.. I think this thread needs a "what if" or "what would you use" Q&A section.. Like what if ___ broke.. what would one need to repair it..

Terex

Adventurer
Where you're going, screw the tools and take lots of water. And an InReach or a Spot.

Oh, and a $2 4WD transfer case shifter linkage bushing for your JK. You should have one of those anyway.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Where you're going, screw the tools and take lots of water. And an InReach or a Spot.

Oh, and a $2 4WD transfer case shifter linkage bushing for your JK. You should have one of those anyway.

Got the water down. 5 gallons per person. I have a friend riding with me so we are taking 2 Scepter Potable water 5 gallon jugs.

Also, great tip on the 4wd shifter linkage busing. I wouldn't have known of the weakness without your note. :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
For the last 6 years or so I have been using heavy duty laptop bags to keep my tools in, it keeps them organized and quiet plus it's easy to bungee or strap the handle about anywhere in the rig to keep the bag out of the way.

These are the specific tips I am looking for since I ahve only had my JK for a few months. Thanks, Oscar.
15mm and a large vice grip for fixing toe and setting draglink. You'll need these alot. Factory parts are spaghetti and bend easy. If steering wheel isn't straight it will kick the ABS on and its a ***** to drive.

Any questions on JKs pm me. I've been wheeling and building them for awhile.

My current beast uploadfromtaptalk1411742550468.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I'm thinking that we should build a list of spare parts and numbers for them. Maybe two columns, Dana 30 and 44. Things like axle/hub bearings, u-joints, axle shafts, etc. Parts big enough to strand you if they fail, small enough to carry kind of things.

desertracer79

Observer
Funny, I was just in Death Valley 2 weeks ago. I carried nearly all the tools that have been mentioned so far, including serp belt, u-joints, rad hoses, etc. I thought I had everything covered that could possibly break, but in the end, the only thing that got us out was the satellite phone I rented. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

We had stopped for lunch on the Echo Canyon trail off Hwy 190 and when we went to start up the Jeep (2003 Rubicon), we got nothing. It was weird. All the electrical worked but when I turned the key, nothing. I inspected all the wiring, tried to bridge the starter, checked all the fuses and relays, and finally beat it with the BFH. Nothing. We were by ourselves on a 110* day but had the food, water, and shelter to keep us safe. Totally dead in the water, completely out of options, I used the sat phone to call a tow truck out of Pahrump, NV the next day.

Turned out to be a faulty ignition switch, something I couldn't have fixed on the trail anyway. Point is: be prepared, but I think a communication device is the most important thing you can bring.

That and a credit card with a high limit, it was a PRICY tow and fix!

Last edited:
I have used the ARB tire patch kit a few times. Terrible feeling to use your spair and realize you have 100 miles of gravel left. Leave the blow molded box at home though.

I started using a tool roll. They dont rattle and I believe they are more space efficient.

Mu tool roll, tire kit, hammer, gloves, shackles all fit in the trunk cubby. Throw the plastic thing out for more room.

Sent from personal communicator

NVJK

Also, great tip on the 4wd shifter linkage busing. I wouldn't have known of the weakness without your note. :)

Take a look at how to fix this when the jeep is cool. It is no fun on the trail when things are hot.

Edit: I've debated on building my own socket set for the JK taking only the sizes I need. In the end it was much easier just to be a pre made set from Costco and leave it in the jeep at all times.

m3at333hp

Adventurer
DesertRacer, that is actually a scary story and don't wish that upon anyone. Luckily, I am going with a group so that puts me at ease a little bit.

I have a few tool rolls I really love and intend on taking with me. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions on the topic!

FastGlass

Adventurer
image.jpg
Here's what I carried in my (now sold) 2010 Rubi....was just doing a visual inspection anticipating the deliv of a 2015 JKUR. Just added a few odds and ends, but pretty JK specific. This lives under my back seat along with the Hi Lift. Missing from this is some snap ring pliers I lent someone, my gloves, led headlamp and flashlight, all the ARB compressor related stuff, a quart of diff oil and Motul and a couple other things. Separate bag being setup for the rescue gear as we speak (didn't have anything but a lousy strap before), there's an "in case" ultralight backpack that's at the ready with all my water filtration, alcohol stoves and dehydrated foods etc, but that will only go if needed/wanted. Bring a shovel and axe too, but these qualify as rescue related to me...separate topic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal