WTB - Hardened (bear-resistant) all-terrain camper

tacollie

Glamper

Happyyukon

Hi, Yukon Resident ringing in on this one.
1- Animal knowledge and common sense are your best defence against bears and wildlife encounters, bear bangers. bear spray are also helpful. Take a "Bear Aware" course to learn proper techniques for travelling in bear country. Portable electric fences or warning fences can add to the peace of mind.

2-Firearms and ammo must be declared and the proper importation paperwork must be filled out when you pass through customs. Use or possession of a firearm illegally in Canada is a serious offence and can result in criminal charges, seizure of your weapons, deportation, jail time, and a ban on entering the country in the future. Best leave the guns at home, this isn't a video game or action movie.

3-If you're worried enough to ask about a "Bear-proof" camper, maybe consider a more gradual progression to your introduction to wilderness. Adventures guided by knowledge, respect and caution, result and skill development and growth. Trips steered by conjecture and paranoia often have disastrous results.

If you have any questions about travel throughout the Yukon, NWT, or Alaska, message me your questions and I will provide whatever advice/ knowledge I can.

billiebob

305344380_5429881303798029_6854049830187352597_n.jpg

billiebob

Hi, Yukon Resident ringing in on this one.
1- Animal knowledge and common sense are your best defence against bears and wildlife encounters, bear bangers. bear spray are also helpful. Take a "Bear Aware" course to learn proper techniques for travelling in bear country. Portable electric fences or warning fences can add to the peace of mind.

2-Firearms and ammo must be declared and the proper importation paperwork must be filled out when you pass through customs. Use or possession of a firearm illegally in Canada is a serious offence and can result in criminal charges, seizure of your weapons, deportation, jail time, and a ban on entering the country in the future. Best leave the guns at home, this isn't a video game or action movie.

3-If you're worried enough to ask about a "Bear-proof" camper, maybe consider a more gradual progression to your introduction to wilderness. Adventures guided by knowledge, respect and caution, result and skill development and growth. Trips steered by conjecture and paranoia often have disastrous results.

If you have any questions about travel throughout the Yukon, NWT, or Alaska, message me your questions and I will provide whatever advice/ knowledge I can.
THIS ^^^^

Plus

billiebob

Don't forget the duct tape.

This is an old story but the pilot had been fishing and the scent of fish fixated the bear on destruction.
A tire and a case of duct tape later and he flew home.

1544130561_BaitPlane.jpg.e1ad53e6e0c3b2307482e3616de26f85.jpg

lucilius

I wouldn't worry about bears, bigger risks are marmots and woodrats that are much more likely damage your rig and then your head explodes when you see the cost and time needed for the repair. Seriously, I would focus more on tire maintenance, road/weather conditions and two-legged threats if you want to live a long, prosperous life with your camper.
No guns in Canada unless you like paperwork and restrictions....why bother unless you are really focused on hunting or up in Canmore for biathlon. Canadians and their campgrounds are generally far more organized and prepared for bear difficulties than in the US. Canada has their share of unnecessary drama but in my experience Provinces, Parks and citizens in Canadian bear country do a fantastic job dealing with bears because they're organized, well-trained and not lazy. Way up north you will be on your own to a greater deal but if you are not foolish, bears that aren't habituated will rarely go out of their way to interact with humans and their vehicles. If "rarely" creates too much angst and worry perhaps best to stick to the beach and swim/fly kites/etc. and relax by outwitting sharks/power lines/etc.

Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater