WTB / RENT : Fridge or Freezer for long roadtrip w/ infant

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Hi - Love this forum!

My wife and I will be traveling across country (CA to ME) with our new baby boy (born Oct 13th) from Dec 26th until ~Feb 1st or so. Trying to see lots of family and dear friends along the way means driving!

We need a way to keep (and freeze!) breastmilk for our little guy. My wife will be going back to work right after we return, so it is important that we be able to freeze breastmilk (bank it for use while she is working). I've thought about the Dry Ice route, but it is not as easy as it used to be (I used it exclusively in my coolers for years).

I would like to find a fridge/freezer that will fit in the back of the jeep jk - I think the 43qt to 50qt is the largest size I can handle - I'd prefer a small unit. Need room for a big dog too.

I'd be willing to rent the unit - or even buy one outright. If something happens to the rented unit while in my possession, we can work something out (fair market value, etc). Money is very tight at the moment so I'd prefer to rent - lots of unexpected expenses (medical, house) and business for me is very slow (self-employed).

I'm in the SF Bay Area...

Dragos28

Adventurer
for the price of renting you're better off checking your local CL for a used fridge.
I just picked up a Norcold for $200 and it works great.
I saw one for sale in the San Diego area for $300.

tarditi

Explorer
Or you can just but a new one (save on shipping!), use it, then keep/sell it when done. I use mine as a second fridge for beers and stuff when not overlanding. Great for parties, too.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
They do hold value pretty well. I bought an Edgestar new about 5 years ago, and just re-sold it when I switched to a built-in fridge for only a couple hundred less than I originally paid for it.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Renting for 5-6 weeks will probably pay for a nice used one. Check with the RV rental places, see what they have available.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Ohhh Fine

You guys have convinced me to pull the trigger on a unit. :sombrero:

Looking at the CFX-65DZ (Dual Zone) or a small portable one that can be taken in and out of the jeep.

Anyone use a fridge/freezer when it is allowed to freeze over night? My last winter trip, it routinely dropped below Zero at night - in fact, for most of the trip it never got about 5°F. Should I expect everything in the fridge (if the setting is in full fridge mode) to freeze solid (just like anything else)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78