WTB: Sleep-inside off road trailer-Mission Overland, Off Grid, Overkill, Boreas, etc

Kifo4

Hello,

I'm looking for a gently used high quality sleep-inside off road trailer. I've heard good things about Mission Overland, Off Grid, Overkill, and Boreas. Am I missing any other 'majors'?

Criteria: comfortable, sleep-inside. Not interested in roof top tents/gear trailers. Fully equipped-water system/hot water, electrical system, cabin heat, sink/stove/fridge. Professionally built by a company, not just a one-off by an individual. Industry-standard high quality construction: composite/aluminum skin.

Any insight greatly appreciated-available units, brands I may be missing, tips on how to find units. All cash buyer, I see these selling in the mid to upper 20's used, mid to upper 30's new. If you have a quality rig but the current state of the world has made your plans change, please feel free to DM me and we can make something happen.

Aside: Does Overkill Campers actually have production units? Their social media/web presence is quiet/not updated, and I don't believe I've seen media of any rig besides their demo unit. Anyone have the inside scoop?

Thanks,

Kipp

bob949

Overkill does have production units. He just does not post much social media. If you want more info send me a pm.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mission Overland makes trailers for immediate sale through RV dealers.

I know many other trailer companies will make you a trailer after giving them a deposit and waiting up to a year.

I own a Mission Overland trailer and one of the reasons why I purchased it was I was able to buy it immediately not have to put down a huge deposit and wait for the trailer to perhaps be built or not.

We are currently on the road and put on over 6,000 miles and have no complaints about the trailer.
You can check out our Instagram
@badlandsexpeditions

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_101950028_HDR~01.jpg
    IMG_20200724_101950028_HDR~01.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 314
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 296

hscoots

I follow this guy in youtube, they have an overkill camper, i guess he had plans to take it to asia but all changed due to Covid 19.

altonsavagenye

Aside: Does Overkill Campers actually have production units? Their social media/web presence is quiet/not updated, and I don't believe I've seen media of any rig besides their demo unit. Anyone have the inside scoop?

Thanks,

Kipp

I live in Bend (where Overkill is based) and went to their shop a couple of weeks ago to meet with their team and climb inside one. They've built about 50 trailers to this point, but they're ramping up fast; they signed a contract to build 30 for one buyer (my guess is an RV rental company?) next year that pushed their lead times back a few months. As of last week, they weren't going to be able to deliver any until April. They said they were not aware of any of their customers to date selling their trailers, so as far as I know (and I've looked), there aren't any used Overkills out there.

Since you're looking for something lower priced than a new Overkill/Boreas, the one other option I'll throw out there might be a little out of your price range, but this is the one I ultimately chose instead of the Overkill.

RKS Off-Road

They're a start-up, so there's some risk involved since they only have a prototype to show off at the moment, but the owners have a long track record in the automotive industry, own a highly rated RV rental business outside of LA (which has clearly been successful), and have spent a ridiculous amount of time answering my questions during the research process. They gave me a 90 minute Zoom walkthrough of their prototype, and I'm very confident in the build quality and the components used. The fact that they engineered a pop-up roof to get an actual full bathroom into a Squaredrop is pretty impressive.

Their trailer is going to run $40K without any options -- including a bunch of things that I would say aren't that optional for that price point, such as hot water heater/furnace/fridge -- but they are doing significant discounts ($6K right now) for their first-batch buyers that allowed us to be comfortable with the price point. Our Overkill was going to come in around $40K with options too, so at the end of the day, the interior bathroom carried the day over the risk of being an early adopter.

If you're able to expand the budget a little bit (and really, Boreas/Off-Grid/Mission Overland are already in the mid-30s if you want it with the features you requested), RKS is worth checking out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven