XJ netbook mount

All righty, I took it for a spin yesterday and overall, I like it. The mount is VERY sturdy. There are some drawbacks though and here they are.

It's pretty close to the steering wheel. Twice when I went to put the key in the ignition, my hand scrapped against the front corner of the mount. OUCH! This is a problem.

Also since it's pretty close to the steering wheel, it very incovenient to reach the CB Mic. When I'm using the CB, I tend to leave it in my lap, but there are times when I need to put it up, then get it back down, so this will be a problem.

I can't get to the "wireless" switch at the front of the netbook, so it searches for a wireless network for a while, which slows the boot-up process. Minor incovenience, which can be corrected by cutting down part of the front up-turned lip.

The right rear securing bracket is in the way of the power port. I thought I took that into consideration, but I must have measured wrong. Luckily I will be able to trim the bracket and all will be well.

The last issue is more of a design flaw. The mount is angled more towards the pass seat for some reason. I think it's because of the way I had to bend it on my workbench. It was inconvenient to say the least.

So, while I'm considering it's proximity to the steering wheel, I think my best be is to weld on some additional material which will move it away from the steering wheel and angle it towards the driver. On the other hand, I might just redesign the whole thing, depending on which is easier.

As far as the screens visibility, I thought it was completely acceptable. Also the 10" screen was AWESOME!!

I'm currently caught-up in my roof rack built, but I will follow-up with changes when the come. Stay tuned :coffee:

Summiteer

Nicely done... You will love having that much tech power at your finger tips. I did mine about 4 months ago, and use it constantly. I love my touch screen! Mine pivots and locks in the driver or passenger position, I like the way yours is more centered. Any problems with glare and being able to see the screen at a slight angle?

~ James

I'm gonna be mounting a netbook between my visors on my JK and think a touchscreen is the way to go too. Which one did you buy? I've been looking at a couple between $400 - $600 but haven't settled on anything yet.

Looks great JD, I told you that you should have mounted it on the ceiling though :ylsmoke:

My location is good. It just needs a little tweaking. I was happy to find that I could reach the touchpad with my elbow on the center console.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I'm gonna be mounting a netbook between my visors on my JK and think a touchscreen is the way to go too. Which one did you buy? I've been looking at a couple between $400 - $600 but haven't settled on anything yet.

Looks great JD, I told you that you should have mounted it on the ceiling though :ylsmoke:

I *think* you are asking me since you qouted me, but not totally sure. I bought a HP Pavilion tx1000. I got it from a guy on here actually... I dont remember what i paid for it, maybe 600 bucks? That was about 1.5 years ago, and its been an awesome comp.

The last component of the netbook setup arrived. I purchased a wired FM modulator so I can plug a 3.5mm jack from the netbook to the stereo speakers. I'm typing in this in the Jeep right now while listening to tunes from the computer in the Jeep!

I think I'm really going to like this!

Bonus...since it's a std 3.5mm plug, I can jam tunes from the netbook, my blackberry, my wifes iPod or my kids MP3 player! How awesome is that!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater