XJ or TJ

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I was flipping through the Grand Wagoneer Performance Portfolio last night (bed time light reading...) and in the early 1980s the carbed 258 engined FSJs were getting ~20mpg (+/- 2 MPG).

A modern 4.0/AW4 in one of these beasties must be a decent setup for MPG. I think the modern 4.0 has better hp/tq then the stock 360 IIRC - or close to it. You wouldn't be losing anything I think.

XXXpedition

Explorer
if i were in your shoes, i'd be upgrading the TJ to a crawler/fun rig (also nice to go to the beach to - topless) mostly for short trips.

and build the xj up a bit more to do cool longer trips where you need more storage and maybe wanna sleep inside...

Nightkrawler

Observer
well looks like the TJ is going to stay not much going on just a weekend toy or to shuttle to the top of our fave mtb trails. The cherokee is great for trips and very comfy but the FSJ just has the raw jeep appeal and also has a frame.
Oh the choices
If only I could just keep adding :smiley_drive:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Frames are over rated. ;)

the whole frame thing is so stupid. (no offense to original poster)

The way that 99.9 percent of us with cherokees ACTUALLY use our trucks, is not going to come close to causing the unibody to fail. I daily drive mine, go exploring, tow a trailer,etc. and I've got no issues with my 17 year old truck.

Now. That being said, it IS a priority of mine to add a set of frame stiffeners to compliment my reinforced front end(logan's metal bumper) and rear end (frame mounted hitch) simply to overbuild and prepare it for some long hauls over tough terrain. Even so, I think its very much overkill.

If you know me, though, you know that I'd rather have the beef and not need it.

For some a cherokee is a throwaway car. For me, I plan on passing the rig down to my daughers when they're old enough to drive, and I want to give it every chance to make it that long...

XXXpedition

Explorer
The way that 99.9 percent of us with cherokees ACTUALLY use our trucks
i didn't consider myself extreme, but i guess i belong to the 0.1%...
mine started to be a bit weak after the second roll. :sombrero:
rig01.jpg

just a little pic...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Rolling a cherokee is a different story, rolling any vehicle for that matter. They just weren't designed to be upside down. :sombrero: If you take a could thousand pound chunk of metal and slam it into a rock in its top or sides its gonna go whack.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i didn't consider myself extreme, but i guess i belong to the 0.1%...
mine started to be a bit weak after the second roll. :sombrero:
rig01.jpg

just a little pic...

haha. Sven, you're definitely in the .1% buddy.

XXXj was used and abused!

love that truck.

ExpoMike

For some a cherokee is a throwaway car. For me, I plan on passing the rig down to my daughers when they're old enough to drive, and I want to give it every chance to make it that long...

Only if you keep it that long. :elkgrin: :ylsmoke: :snorkel:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Only if you keep it that long. :elkgrin: :ylsmoke: :snorkel:

I've vowed to keep mine until it hits a quarter million miles, I'm up to 145,000 right now so I've got a few more years left with it at least. I've put more money into repairs than the vehicle is even worth so I'm in it for the long run.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've vowed to keep mine until it hits a quarter million miles, I'm up to 145,000 right now so I've got a few more years left with it at least. I've put more money into repairs than the vehicle is even worth so I'm in it for the long run.

Lol, I considered selling mine in like TWO threads on here and on naxja, and this guy won't leave me alone now.

I changed out my carseats, fixing the issue of space, and am set on keeping it, but Mike duddn't care.

haha!:coffeedrink:

XXXpedition

Explorer
I've vowed to keep mine until it hits a quarter million miles
mine was there! original engine, original tranny, original t-case
only changed: water, power steering pump, alternator.
belt and motor mount a few times.

i was the best truck i ever had!!!!! always missing it :-(

well, i did have to weld the roof a few times :)

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
mine was there! original engine, original tranny, original t-case
only changed: water, power steering pump, alternator.
belt and motor mount a few times.

i was the best truck i ever had!!!!! always missing it :-(

well, i did have to weld the roof a few times :)

All I've had to do is fuel pump, radiator, alternator, tires of course, and soon some brakes. As far as I know the transfer case and diff fluids have never been changed too so that is way overdue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3