Xterra fuel economy :(

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Stinks!

Averaged 15-16mpg on 1700 miles of pavement (highway) this past weekend.

This needs to be addressed. What are others seeing for average mpg?

(2nd gen in this case)

skibum315

Explorer
Sounds about right, especially if you're an AT ... for some reason they seem to do worse (as compared to the MT) than you'd expect. Also depends on mods/gear ... but you probably knew that. If you're running larger than stock tires, you'll get a bit back from accounting for the difference, but not the 20-30% I expect you're looking for (assuming you want to be in the 20s).

The hit you take from big tires, lots of gear, armor, etc can be offset by the combination of intake manifold spacer (IMS), intake, exhaust and a good tune ... but the best folks seem to do on a regular basis is the high teens, in a relatively stock configuration and lightly loaded. It's just not going to be a fuel sipper, unfortunately.

What are/were you hoping for? I tend to get right around 16/17 in mixed driving on my MT ... with big aggressive tires (was Toyo MTs, now the ST-Maxx), skidplates, sliders and a rack ... maybe a tick higher if I'm headed down from the mountains. Best I ever did was bone stock, coming back from a weekend in the Sierras to the Bay Area, I think I hit 21/22 and that was primarily due to being able to coast a ton ...

libarata

Expedition Leader
What is your speed, and what are your mods? My fronty would routinely spot 25mps with non-ethanol fuel, 50-55mph with a Cool air intake. Reduce your speed, and you will increase your efficiency.

Last edited:

snekvasil

Adventurer
Stinks!

Averaged 15-16mpg on 1700 miles of pavement (highway) this past weekend.

This needs to be addressed. What are others seeing for average mpg?

(2nd gen in this case)

That's a typical mileage rate for me. I have a 2001 X. I've had it since 2008. I've been getting 15-17 mpg on the highway since I've had her. One of the reasons the X has such poor resale value is due to its poor gas mileage (or so I'm told). But, it's also been stinking reliable for me and excellent offroad, so I stopped sweating the MPGs. It does hurt the wallet, though, if you have a long commute.

dennismc

Observer
Have owned a 2001 for 10 years now and in stock form that's right about what I was getting, now with 33's, skids. sliders, front and rear bumpers, winch, roof rack, RTT, etc it's certainly less. Just have to deal with it cause it's been very reliable and has taken me on some amazing back/off road adventures. It's not an econocar but an econocar won't take you on an expedition and get you away from the econcar people.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
What is your speed, and what are your mods? My fronty would routinely spot 25mps with non-ethanol fuel, and 50-55mpgs with a Cool air intake. Reduce your speed, and you will increase your efficiency.

50-55mpgs? Why would you ever change a truck that got 50-55 mpgs? What on earth did you do to it?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Average speed was about 72 on the highway. In my case my mods are 2" lift, 255/85 KM2s, and...... a fuel sucking RTT. I guess I should be happy with 15-16 based on what you all are saying. (15.5 is corrected for the 5% difference in odometer based on tire size - verified by GPS)

I'd like to be able to average 20 on the highway. I might start playing around with things to see how I can affect the highway mileage.

Luckily, my commute is about 20 miles of secondary roads (no more than 40mph) and the economy commuting is actually better (around 18) despite the stop and go traffic. To me this illustrates that its aerodynamics affecting the highway mileage - obviously starting with the RTT.

skibum315

Explorer
Average speed was about 72 on the highway ... a fuel sucking RTT. [SNIP-SNIP] ... the economy commuting is actually better (around 18) despite the stop and go traffic. To me this illustrates that its aerodynamics affecting the highway mileage - obviously starting with the RTT.
Yup ... Nail --> Head

richard310

pew pew
You guys and you're wonderful 18+ mpg highway... I'll be lucky to get 17mpg highway in my 2004.

I'm down to about 14 city/16 highway daily driving with the all the additions.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Average speed was about 72 on the highway. In my case my mods are 2" lift, 255/85 KM2s, and...... a fuel sucking RTT. I guess I should be happy with 15-16 based on what you all are saying. (15.5 is corrected for the 5% difference in odometer based on tire size - verified by GPS)

I'd like to be able to average 20 on the highway. I might start playing around with things to see how I can affect the highway mileage.

Luckily, my commute is about 20 miles of secondary roads (no more than 40mph) and the economy commuting is actually better (around 18) despite the stop and go traffic. To me this illustrates that its aerodynamics affecting the highway mileage - obviously starting with the RTT.

Driving a box at those speeds ensure bad efficiency. Reduce your speeds, and you will see improvement. Also, does your RTT have a fairing?

theBostonianX

Adventurer
I take my RTT off. Yeah, its an added pain when planning a trip and afterwards when Im back home but its worth the MPG savings. Unless you can mount an air dam of some sort. Im thinking of running a tarp across the top of the RTT and down to the windsheild/roof line, to create some sort of line for the air to flow.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Stinks!

Averaged 15-16mpg on 1700 miles of pavement (highway) this past weekend. . . . What are others seeing for average mpg?

The government fuel economy ratings for a 6 cyl. 4WD Xterra with auto transmission are 15 mpg city, 20 mpg highway, 17 mpg combined, 5.9 gal./100 miles.

I get about 17 mpg city, 22 mpg highway unless I drive faster than 75 mph or am fully loaded with gear.

You can mess with intake manifold spacers, electronic tuners, less restrictive exhaust, etc., but you will likely never recover your investment by way of lower fuel costs. Your best results will be from keeping your load light and off your roof, combined with driving at or under the speed limit and accelerating like you have an egg under your go-pedal foot.

The terms "expo rig" and "fuel efficient" don't belong in the same sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven