Yahama Super Ténéré - Who's going to buy one?

zolo

Explorer
Yamaha Super Ténéré

Seriously considering trading in the GS for this come May 2011. It has EVERYTHING the GS has - driveshaft, unified braking, ABS, traction control, drive mode for "sport" or touring... etc., etc. Also all of the luggage, heated grips, and other comfort stuff.

Pre-sale started September 1st....

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I think Yamaha developed a great bike! For riding in western countries. ABS, shaft drive are great.
But for traveling exotic places I would pick an old school dual sport. I have read many stories of riders being stranded in Africa because one (or two) of the electronic components crapped out and it proved impossible to fix the bike on site. But then again, for riding around North America or Europe, I think it's a great bike.

What's the price tag? Same as the BMW?

I owned two of the original Super Teneres in the past. Both I used for traveling in Africa and put over 100.000km on each.

Cheers and please post pix of yours!!!!

TenereSenegal.jpg

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Looks like a very cool bike. Unfortunately, it's also got a few things the GS doesn't, like 70 or so extra pounds (compared to the 1200 GS).

And I thought the GS was heavy! :Wow1:

zolo

Explorer
I think Yamaha developed a great bike! For riding in western countries. ABS, shaft drive are great.
But for traveling exotic places I would pick an old school dual sport. I have read many stories of riders being stranded in Africa because one (or two) of the electronic components crapped out and it proved impossible to fix the bike on site. But then again, for riding around North America or Europe, I think it's a great bike.

What's the price tag? Same as the BMW?

I owned two of the original Super Teneres in the past. Both I used for traveling in Africa and put over 100.000km on each.

Cheers and please post pix of yours!!!!

TenereSenegal.jpg

I agree about electronics, but many exotic bike expeditions abroad have been ridden on a GS or KTM with many similar electronically controlled parts.

I'm sure Yamaha has an even better reputation for reliability when it comes to these parts. I've ridden my GS all over and have had no issues concerning the electronics. This year alone has brought nearly 20,000 new miles to my GS. (Granted, none of these miles were in Africa, but none were stranded miles either.)

The computer controlled stuff on the Yamaha bike is more of a choice between modes - traction can be turned off, drive mode is a choice of switching between two modes, etc., and if any of it failed, it does not look like it would strand the bike. (Who knows though, it might shut the thing down.)

Nothing on this bike would stop me from riding it anywhere in the world. The options on it are no different than the GS, Tiger, KTM, and the price is less than a GS.

As I write this, I feel like I'm writing my way out of getting one and keeping the GS cause its been so awesome. The Yamaha is a cool bike and it will steal sales from the GS.

My GS currently:
e4da8b38.jpg

zolo

Explorer
Looks like a very cool bike. Unfortunately, it's also got a few things the GS doesn't, like 70 or so extra pounds (compared to the 1200 GS).

And I thought the GS was heavy! :Wow1:

Yeah the Yamaha has a little bigger tank,(nearly a gallon more.)
Not sure where the other weight comes from though.

Its still less that a GSA.

Victorian

Love the pic of your bike :bike_rider:

My bike never had any issues while using it every day for 3 years, rain, snow sunshine everything worked fine. Then with almost 100.000km on the clock I took of to tour Africa and because of all the vibration (from riding on rough roads and dirt tracks) almost every electronic component died on me while in the middle of the Sahara in Mauretania. I had to replace everything on that bike that was fed with electricity! Lesson learned. Never again take anything more complicated then a Yamaha TT600, XT500, Honda XR600 or anything along that line on a trip far away from a dealership.

As a side effect, those bikes are also lighter and more fuel efficient :)

But again, The new Super Tenere is a great alternative to the BMW!

zolo

Explorer
Love the pic of your bike :bike_rider:

My bike never had any issues while using it every day for 3 years, rain, snow sunshine everything worked fine. Then with almost 100.000km on the clock I took of to tour Africa and because of all the vibration (from riding on rough roads and dirt tracks) almost every electronic component died on me while in the middle of the Sahara in Mauretania. I had to replace everything on that bike that was fed with electricity! Lesson learned. Never again take anything more complicated then a Yamaha TT600, XT500, Honda XR600 or anything along that line on a trip far away from a dealership.

As a side effect, those bikes are also lighter and more fuel efficient :)

But again, The new Super Tenere is a great alternative to the BMW!

That just plain sucks....
I guess we will see here in the next few years.
Pretty sure the 1200cc Ténéré has been on sale in other parts of the world for awhile. The US is late to the party as usual. The thread on the bike in ADVrider.com is up to like 370 post and when I was reading, many inmates are abroad. Posting up and answering US questions.

Thanks on the pic. Like I said it will take a really badA@@ Yamaha to sway me from my GS.
But I loved the looks of the older smaller Ténéré that never made it to the US.
When I got the GS I was looking for an ADV bike that could go most places, and could be loaded down without balking at the weight or terrain. So far so good.

My question remains though who is going to buy one and why?
What are the pros and cons and should I keep the GS or go for it?

AUTO360

Adventurer
The fact that the ABS can't be turned off makes it clear that I would not be interested. Personally, and this is only my opinion, but all the electronic stuff turns me off big time. ABS, traction control, sport or touring mode...etc. About the only electronic thing I like is fuel injection. No choke and and less effects of altitude changes. For me, simpler is better. I prefer being in control. But hey, I like crank windows and manual door locks on vehicles so I am not the majority.

Matt

zolo

Explorer
The fact that the ABS can't be turned off makes it clear that I would not be interested. Personally, and this is only my opinion, but all the electronic stuff turns me off big time. ABS, traction control, sport or touring mode...etc. About the only electronic thing I like is fuel injection. No choke and and less effects of altitude changes. For me, simpler is better. I prefer being in control. But hey, I like crank windows and manual door locks on vehicles so I am not the majority.

Matt

Uhh yep me as well. I have a rig with crank windows and manual locks.
Not sure your point here.

I dont think that if any part this bikes ABS or Trac control failed it would strand the bike. Im not even sure its FACT that you cannot turn the ABS off. It doesnt state that on the Yamaha site. I havent read enough on ADVrider to find out for sure either way.
The Tenere is a proven bike that is now availible in the US. Its another option offered in the ever exspanding ADV bike market.

The question was would you give up a proven GS for this new rig. Many think yes. Im just putting it out there.

AUTO360

Adventurer
I thought my point was clear. Just saying I like simplicity. I wouldn't worry about that stuff failing, I'm just not interested in things like traction control and ABS. I prefer to "feel" that stuff myself. For me its part of the whole experince of riding.
I read the report in Cycle World and it said that the ABS can not be turned off...for those wondering where I got that info.
Also, title to the thread was..."who is going to buy one"....not.."should I trade my GS" though I see you did pose that question in your post. Sorry, don't mean to come off as a know you what but my view on bikes are changing and sometimes its hard to contain my new views. I'm just learning that simpler makes me happier....don't mean to push it on everyone. Actually, to be honest, when I saw it on the cover of Cycle World I was excited...but then the whole ABS thing. Maybe having ABS on bigger bikes like GS1200 is nice have.
And finally, to answer your question..haha...no, I wouldn't trade. Sounds like your bike works for you and you may end up losing money in the long run.

Matt
PS: Cycle World really did like the bike though

Last edited:

Victorian

Can't remember were I read it, but you can turn off the traction control and ABS by simply pulling a couple of connectors. Someone from Yamaha mentioned that. Anyhow, by the sounds of it, it's possible but it not just a switch flipping feature.

zolo

Explorer
I thought my point was clear. Just saying I like simplicity. I wouldn't worry about that stuff failing, I'm just not interested in things like traction control and ABS. I prefer to "feel" that stuff myself. For me its part of the whole experince of riding.
I read the report in Cycle World and it said that the ABS can not be turned off...for those wondering where I got that info.
Also, title to the thread was..."who is going to buy one"....not.."should I trade my GS" though I see you did pose that question in your post. Sorry, don't mean to come off as a know you what but my view on bikes are changing and sometimes its hard to contain my new views. I'm just learning that simpler makes me happier....don't mean to push it on everyone. Actually, to be honest, when I saw it on the cover of Cycle World I was excited...but then the whole ABS thing. Maybe having ABS on bigger bikes like GS1200 is nice have.
And finally, to answer your question..haha...no, I wouldn't trade. Sounds like your bike works for you and you may end up losing money in the long run.

Matt
PS: Cycle World really did like the bike though

You are correct that was indeed the title of the thread. My bad.
Then it evolved to me asking for any advice for getting one instead of my GS.
Have you ridden a Tenere?

As for ABS being good for bigger bikes....The Super Tenere is a 575lb 1200cc ADV bike. Its plenty big. I bet the braking is awesome with ABS. In the twisty mtn stuff. Heavy downhill mtn riding with down shifting. Id imagine you could maintain good speed and have a bit more control without the rear wheel locking up.
Ive ridden many none ABS bikes and the ABS on the GS seems to not take over the bike like you would think. I didnt even turn it off in the muddiest of conditions on the Dalton Hwy. The bike stopped just fine in the nasty stuff.

I wonder if the Yamaha system is way more over kill compared to the BMW. I will have to ride one and go see. I have always liked the over seas version.

This buckaroo.. im pretty sure this one never made it to the US. But it looks great.
http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/moto-essais-articles/images/illus/YamahaTenere6602008_02.jpg

Just out of curiosity what are you riding? Is there a new style ADV bike with no added electric rider control stuff? Id be into that also.

AUTO360

Adventurer
Haven't ridden a Tenere. Sure do like the one in the link you sent. 650? Forgot to mention that CW said that the new (to the US) Tenere also has linked brakes, but I think they said you can unlink them.
As far as my rides go they would be a TW200, WR250R and a V-Strom 650 which I have outfitted nicely. Oh, and a Ninja 250:)
The V-Strom is a nice ride but to go off-road I must make it...its not natural(for the bike). I expect too much of it off-road. Actually, I plan on selling it because to my surprise my WR250 turned out to be very capable to tour on. Did a 6 day ride to WV. Whats weird...a little off topic here...is the smaller the bike the more of an adventure it seems like. Like taking my Ninja down into Mexico for a 3 day ride.
Well, no doubt the Tenere is a good bike and its already been proven overseas. Whether you want to switch, well, mostly only you can answer that. Sometimes, myself included, we get really caught up in the latest and greatest. Part of it comes down to how well we can afford the latest and greatest. If the financial part doesn't scare you, then maybe I would say go for it. But ask yourself this question. Would your Alaska trip been better on the Yamaha?
I'll admit I wouldn't mind having the GS800 though...w/out ABS:)
Matt

zolo

Explorer
Haven't ridden a Tenere. Sure do like the one in the link you sent. 650? Forgot to mention that CW said that the new (to the US) Tenere also has linked brakes, but I think they said you can unlink them.
As far as my rides go they would be a TW200, WR250R and a V-Strom 650 which I have outfitted nicely. Oh, and a Ninja 250:)
The V-Strom is a nice ride but to go off-road I must make it...its not natural(for the bike). I expect too much of it off-road. Actually, I plan on selling it because to my surprise my WR250 turned out to be very capable to tour on. Did a 6 day ride to WV. Whats weird...a little off topic here...is the smaller the bike the more of an adventure it seems like. Like taking my Ninja down into Mexico for a 3 day ride.
Well, no doubt the Tenere is a good bike and its already been proven overseas. Whether you want to switch, well, mostly only you can answer that. Sometimes, myself included, we get really caught up in the latest and greatest. Part of it comes down to how well we can afford the latest and greatest. If the financial part doesn't scare you, then maybe I would say go for it. But ask yourself this question. Would your Alaska trip been better on the Yamaha?
I'll admit I wouldn't mind having the GS800 though...w/out ABS:)
Matt

Dude I tried pretty hard to find a strom 650 or 1000. But those bikes are never to be found it seems they are hard to find.
I did look at the F800 as well but I got a great deal on a used GS12 and it just all came together.
Would AK been better on a Yamaha... HA thats funny, the one thing that would have made that trip better would have been SUN.

Im glad that the market fro ADV bikes is getting bigger. Id like to wait and see I guess. They do seem like a good bike on paper. But many folks are saying the parts are just not up to the quality that an ADV bike thats going to get beat up and ridden hard should be.
I will say Id like to have a 6gal tank. Or just a little bigger tank. The GS gets a solid 250 per tank. A little more if I ride it like a sissy. A lot less if I stay in it.
cheers:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater