Yellow Frontier into Expedition truck

iron dingo

Observer
Like I said, scangauge II will be your best bet. It will auto correct speed distance and fuel economy on a separate display. Had mine for three years and really enjoy it

I will be picking one up. I was just hoping to find a way to get the factory gauges to comply.

where did you mount yours?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I will be picking one up. I was just hoping to find a way to get the factory gauges to comply.

where did you mount yours?

I tried the same but no way for the factory gauges to sync up unfortunately

I mounted mine on top of the steering wheel column, works perfectly, just blocks the very bottom end of the tach and that's it.

iron dingo

Observer
Last weekend I went hiking with a few friends 4 of us in the cab of the Bee which meant the gear in the bed so when the freezing rain started before the drive home all the kit got soaked.

this got me to thinking I was leaning toward getting a thule ladder rack but now i am thinking it makes more seance to go for a Soft Topper. Whatever I put on I need to be able to more out of the way easily to be able to put motorcycles in the bed.

thoughts?

iron dingo

Observer
Another day of driving in blizzard like conditions... And I love my truck.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422915730102.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422915730102.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 23

iron dingo

Observer
I am not good at keeping up on these blogs and regular build threads.

been doing more stuff to the Bee.

The truck came with this shiftier lock thing. i do not live in any sort of bad area and can't imagin needing it so i ground it out
P1080950.JPG

P1080957.JPG

so i could make room for the CB

P1080961.JPG

I put a magnetic whip on the center of the roof. i am not sure how often i will need it so that will do for now.

I also cut the rear seat support lump out and covered the rear seat area with sound mat to help absorb some of the after market exhaust drone.
P1090361.JPG

Which I did while I was waiting for the spray on bedliner to cure enough to drive home
I pulled the old plastic bedliner out and scrubbed the entire bed taking extra care to wire wheel any rust spots I found down to bare metal.
IMG_20150517_130042_885.jpg

I then uses U-pols Acid etch primer over the entire bed and rails.
this is my GF hitting a few spots again
IMG_20150517_141350_347.jpg

using the gun I got with it I sprayed the entire bed and rails.
IMG_20150517_145741_269.jpg

i think it turned out rather nice

P1090364.JPG

I am now looking at L-rail to put in and spare tire options. I could re rout the exhaust and make room under the bed, or self build a rear bumper tire carrier, or if they can make it for me the sing tailgate tire carrier.

I was looking to get the soft topper soon but i have access to borrow a hard top for a camping trip so i might wait till fall for the soft topper.

i have done a few short camping and climbing trips and the truck has been great.

ZdR2WY6gmymF0yDdkeSHSy1_vz27dUNlUAEh0np1WQk3=w1127-h845-no

fortel

Adventurer
Nice job on the bedliner. Thinking of doing the same on my 2012 Frontier. The drop in plastic bedliner wastes a lot of space and where it hooks over the top of the front of the bed keeps the Leer topper from making a good seal. What brand of DIY bedliner did you use? I can't quite read the can label in the pic.

iron dingo

Observer
I used U-Pol's Raptor i believe the Custom Coat is the same stuff with a different label.
51l6AyjD6QL.jpg

it seems to have worked quite well we will see if I did a good enough job with the prep. Make sure you have plenty of light and wear a mask with a carbon filter it smells strong.

when I pulled out the plastic bedliner I found a lot of dirt and crud under it as well as a few rust spots, it did not seem to really be protecting the bed all that well.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Good call on getting rid of the shifter lock thingy. That was ugly as sin. I like that you added some sound deadener too, I remember my old first gen was noisy on the highway. I'm planning on adding some Dynamat or similar to my current truck at some point as well. I like a quiet ride.

Nice work on the bedliner as well. Looks really nice. Good updates all around!

iron dingo

Observer
thanks.

That lock was really attached too, i had to grind off the heads of the carriage bolts cause the nuts were captured underneath and the transmission was in the way. but now it is gone and a more useful CB is there.

i plan on adding some more deadener and slowly working my way forward. i was not sure how far one box would go. the truck also has a "Cherry Bomb" after market exhaust which i am sure does not help with the drone.

the Bed-liner went a lot better than i expected though i should have looked at some of the profesional finishes to see where to cover and where not to but i can touch it up when i spray the platform/ drawer unit I want to put in the bed.

iron dingo

Observer
The next step is cargo rails. I got 4 7' sticks, 1 4'stick of L-track from US Cargo Control. I also picked up 4 ring stud tiedowns and 2 double studs fitted with threaded inserts for the eventual bed box.

I put in the side and front rails but am not sure where to put the floor rails i am thinking in the first troth inboard of the wheel wells, thoughts?

AhJPXT9eieU2C_Zbki_CUCQXUZ2CcYRTvcIqsMPLq6QY=w711-h400-no

Red lines indicate where i am thinking of putting the floor track.,

floor track.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nice work on the tiedown points! I love that my truck has them from the factory.

I like the location you're thinking of for the bottom rails. That would make them the most useful. Any further inboard and I think they'd lose some utility.

iron dingo

Observer
Thanks. i think i am going to put them there once i have someone who can come buy and give me a second pair of hands. not sure how to do a nut and bolt on the top and under the bed...

I went up to my buddies shop space saturday and put Boots on the ends of my torsion bars; replaced my Sway bar links; installed the steering link support; and was going to install the shock to the steering system but was missing the nut for the end of the shock... gonna need to hunt one of those down..

I would post pictures but I left my camera sitting on the lift at the shop.. which is an hour away.... i will post them when i gt the camera back.

iron dingo

Observer
Partial update

I just bought a house so that has been consuming my life and will for a while more as i get it ready to move into.
xOjzHtMeEY3hD5dvtUGcOeLEwkA56SvyloxjnBDR6sAJ=w1663-h936-no

As far as the truck I have done a few things, mostly in prep for a camping trip i took to the North Maine Woods. Starting with adding boots to the ends of my torsion bars and replacing the sway bar links with new bars and bushings.
A35awY-mflsuCY9pEUuSGGiHu-TghP7LAgabO9ufgE3L=w541-h361-no

unwcTO3RgEmoVsBl2jtNFZcaRNYr412ntl6ZyikZ6kg1=w1403-h935-no

i also put on the steering dampener and stabilizer
p6xzDluB2eH4qtzd0LxR0XW19X142D1La4rhs3Ivx-tU=w624-h935-no

I got New Tuff Lights for the truck 2 floods I put on the bull bar and 2 "spots" I put on the roof rack, wired up with a bussman relay panel I picked up through a fella at the ih8temud forum
U5nG80f_I6l6tr8oN_3QIiANbmejCtTcSq73-BGW0_O-=w814-h458-no

And wired them up with some nice new switches.
ImBYZI0VhXhCNYFx8Oz5L1yPXMdflVWjc3CTVM4iYjBK=w1663-h936-no

then we went camping

loaded
eMq7QFiJTyOiYVT59PiWH4JgTPe6dMEAv1PWaDJG4MqF=w814-h458-no

me and my girl
EOqnZ6XavinFOSh_S4KHamLOHzAbGwxHBn85Xn2pZmbT=w520-h390-no

random photos
i will do a trip report in a later post

y5JAKvAaAJdaaoVjZvFqxlNneUCJoZ8Egy_UUY4eLQcp=w541-h361-no

h6ZjMzdpSw9lprd2JetckbZD2unaSPrwjiUJVw5Atnsd=w1247-h935-no

N6D7AU12iQe0Q8l4BWKlEiYMd0HvTz48wzot5lTy7dLL=w519-h390-no

iaRlLwUjCfU3jiZ8aOFyYlXuZYmX2NUQRiNupWDq9fb4=w1247-h935-no