Yellow power wagon expedition vehicle

RR1

Explorer
That is beyond gorgeous! Is it a one off custom, or were some produced by the factory like that?

Mid-State built the woody bodies. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/campbell_midstate/campbell_midstate.htm

this one is a restoration dedicated the 9/11 Fire Fighters.

More pictures and the story in the link.

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/04/14/coolest-batallion-chief-ever-1949-dodge-power-wagon/

This pumper puts the Zodi shower to shame...LOL

1949_Dodge_Power_Wagon_4x4_Woody_Fire_Truck_Front_Pump_1.jpg

1949_Dodge_Power_Wagon_4x4_Woody_Fire_Truck_Wood_Roof_1.jpg

1949_Dodge_Power_Wagon_4x4_Woody_Fire_Truck_Engine_1.jpg

Found a blue woody as well...finding everything but what the OP wanted....(sorry)

http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/129_0801_1950_dodge_power_wagon_woody/photo_01.html
129_0801_01_z+1950_dodge_power_wagon+passenger_side_view.jpg

Last edited:

Geronimo

Observer
I remember the truck well, but no pictures. I saw it in Baja one time (early 90's), then the matching trailer sat in a storage yard in San Felipe for years. It has now disappeared. I think that it was OFF-Road Magazine that did the story.

titleguy

Observer
I remember the truck well, but no pictures. I saw it in Baja one time (early 90's), then the matching trailer sat in a storage yard in San Felipe for years. It has now disappeared. I think that it was OFF-Road Magazine that did the story.

Yep, but the story isn't online anymore that I can find. I remember it was for sale around when the story came out.

zack05

There was a yellow Power Wagon that was built in the late 80's by a contractor from Moss Beach CA named Werder. I am pretty sure he had a matching yellow trailer as well. He had a place at Gonzago (Sp?) Bay in Baja, and used it to drive back and forth. There was a feature in Four Wheeler on this rig. I am pretty sure it was an early 60's model though. Is that the one you are referring to?

titleguy

Observer
For some reason I remember it as an earlier model. But it was very distinctive---loaded down with electronics, I think he had a sunroof and those swiveling captains chairs they used to use in vans, I remember an epirb. Total custom build. I think this guy used it to explore old mining areas or something.

Something about that Werder guy sounds familiar though.

titleguy

Observer
We have a winner! Zack thanks for the name, it put me right on it. Here's a little blurb about the truck and some pics, but sadly the referenced article is gone. It's not even in the Internet archives. For some reason I remembered it being older but this is definitely the truck.

Thanks to everyone for the help. If anyone has more pics or info, post it up.

Bill has spent an estimated $70,000 dollars to freshen up this 1964 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon. Among the overwhelming list of modifications include a 440ci big-block for power, a remote operated under-hood fire supression system, lights mounted in the chassis for repair purposes and gas tank capacity of 75 gallons. There is no place this truck can't go. The monster weighs in at a whopping 8,000lbs thanks to all the extra accessories it carries. Two more images are linked below; click the text link to see a full detail of all the modifications this truck at Truckworld Online. Special thanks to Duane the editor for allowing me to use these images.

Dodge-4.jpg

Dodge-3.jpg

Dodge-5.jpg

Geronimo

Observer
That's the one, how could I forget the yellow wheels. I tried to buy the trailer a couple of times, never could get info on it. Must have sat there for 10 years. Cool truck, would like to know where it ended up. Would be cool with a 12V CTD in it.

zack05

Glad it was the one you were thinking of. Ha, my wife just asked me how can I remember almost every truck I have ever seen but can't remember my phone number!

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I seen that truck in Baja, 1991. I broke a power steering belt coming into Gos. Bay and found that truck. It was taken apart after it had a high water incounter. The owner had a full shop there at his house, unreal place. Good people, fixed me up and on my way. The truck was in the sixties, I think.

lstzephyr

wanderer
While not strictly expedition, but I have always been a fan of these types of trucks. It wouldn't take much to make them a good backcountry camping truck.

power-wagon.jpg

1987-BC-experimental.jpg

Especially this one.

1976-dodge-w200-m886-1.jpg

1976-dodge-w200-m886-2.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Couldn't resist a couple of Photoshop alterations............

then a "Blazer/Bronco" (or whatever) wagon

34f0k0n.jpg

I love that one!!

I think if I did that to our '53, it would put my dad in his grave!

PowerWagon003.jpg

He bought it in '67, when I was still "Poopin in 3 cornered pants" as the saying goes.

Plan is for a complete resto on it, hopefully soon, now that I have my new shop up.

More PW goodness:

CIMG1114.jpg

wickedPW.jpg

PWwoodyblue.jpg

And oh the sound of those old flat head 6's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk