ZJ Lift Height and Tire Size

bobfoe95

I am having a really hard time deciding between 2 different setups for my new overland vehicle. I will be doing a significant amount of highway driving and other then that some back road travelling, nothing extreme. In either case I will be replacing the stock coils with an OEM replacement because they look like they are about the snap. I also have the AWD transfer case. That is the main reason why I am not springing for the 2 inch right away- I am scared of front drive shaft problems on the highway.

The first option is to do a 1 inch coil spacer and use a 30 inch tire. This setup I think will be less harsh on suspension and drive line components but offer less offroad ability.

The second option is to do a 2 inch coil spacer and a 31 inch tire. This will be harsher on the components but have more offroad ability.

Both setups cost the same.

What do you guys think?

L_Kilkenny

Skip the OEM and go to the Moog coils. In the back make sure you get their heavy duty progressive springs. Skip the1", go 2" & 31's. Not extreme in the least and makes a ZJ very capable.

bobfoe95

Do you think the 2 inch lift will cause problems with the front drive shaft?

The coils I am going to buy are Moog models CC782 for the front and Moog CC721 for the rear. Are these the coils you would recommend? Also with the 2 inch spacer would you remove the coil spring isolators?

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Front driveshaft will be fine at 2" lift. I'd leave the isolators in.

Also, 31s can fit without a lift if you keep them skinny or do a little trimming. If you've got 16" wheels already and don't mind trimming a hair, the 2" lift should fit a 235/85R16 (skinny 32). It'll fit better with adjustable control arms to allow you to adjust axle positioning, but they shouldn't be required at that height.

Ben Holeton

Observer
Email kolak@aol.om. He's a great resource when it comes to ZJ parts. I have bought multiple things from him. Get OME coils and Bilstein shocks, for a 2" lift. It'll cost a bit more than your pucks, but it's a better ride.

K2ZJ

Explorer
All of the above. 2" 31's, I wish I left my ZJ there. It rode and wheeled well and I actually used it. Toss the cv front shaft and 249 for a 231 or 242.

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
I'll agree with most here. 2" and 31's but skip the pucks. Spend the money and do coils and event shocks. You'll thank us later.

Mitch502

Explorer
If you're not going to be doing anything extreme, pucks will work...

I guess the question you need to answer is, do you want a bigger tire for look and/or using a larger tire (rolling over larger debris, etc)?
Or do you need the flex of a true suspension lift?

I don't think either of your lift options will do much to put strain on anything on your jeep suspension or drive line wise.

Check my signature for my build...that's 5.5", and it took ALOT of changes. Still need more really. IF you're willing to spend the money, the 3.5" IRO lift kit is nice. Only around $450 I think for everything you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal