What ONE piece of recovery gear will you never leave home without?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I never leave home without my winch. Even if I'm just running down to the grocery store, it's there on my bumper. ;)

Probably not the intent of the question though. While there are many pieces of recovery gear that are part of my standard kit, I would probably say a shovel is one I would always bring if I had to name just one.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Common sense

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Common sense should NEVER be left at home.
To many users, all the tools in the world will only work as designed. Common sense can make all of those tools, as well as surrounding rocks, trees, soil, and other nonstandard material around be more adaptive to your recovery efforts.

loren85022

Explorer
The shovel would seem to be the most essential. The tow strap and Hi Lift being the other two that have strong merit depending on if you are solo or have another vehicle near by. I own a winch but it's never been my first choice for getting the ball rolling again. Maybe i just not getting stuck in the right places.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
winch is only usefull if you have something to winch off of

Shovel is a multiuse basic tool- with time - the vehicles jack and the shovel you will get free.

But I'll up the anti to a pick matock

ever tried pulling dirt from under a truck with a shovel ?

The pick matock breaks up rocky soil - moves soil like a shovel and can also pull dirt from under a vehicle
if you sharpen the blade - think axe

it is heavier- but to me more usefull

Winch / highlift /straps etc etc all have their uses- but you need a second item to make them useful

the shovel matock etc work on their own

31Hv45fg%2BPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

heres a few examples

here I am stuck- I used a dog bowl and a hammer to dig out the difs and eventually found a frozen rock to winch myself off of
It would have been faster with a pick mattock

DSC_0009-1.jpg

oops stuck again

pick mattock too the rescue- had a winch - but nothing to winch off of
DSC01802.jpg

used a high lift as i had the lift points- but lacked a shovel to fill the hole once I'd lifted the front- note nothing to winch off of

DSC_0155.jpg

Obviously rocks like Moab need a diferent approach - but most trails are'nt solid sandstone

crismateski

American Adventurist
FYI, you can burry your spare tire and winch off that if you ahve nothing else.

I have heard this before, but have never heard how deep you need to bury it. I would think that it depends on the type of soil, but is there a basic rule?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Ok burying your tire and winch.

ask Mike and his landy 130 in Utah if that works

......luckily he got helicoptered out

It depends on conditions

If your stuck- its unlikely you will be able to dig the tire deep enough to winch off of- and by the way you'l need a shovel or pickmatock to dig the hole !

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Ok burying your tire and winch.

ask Mike and his landy 130 in Utah if that works

......luckily he got helicoptered out

It depends on conditions

If your stuck- its unlikely you will be able to dig the tire deep enough to winch off of- and by the way you'l need a shovel or pickmatock to dig the hole !

We get it. Ignore everyone else. The only tool for self-recovery is a pick maddox.

Stiff wire brush - thrice daily - carry on... :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998