What ONE piece of recovery gear will you never leave home without?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I also like to declare "it's time to get my hoe" once I'm buried.

I hope that clears things up, and reenforces my second point (mentioned in my original post).

That was helpful, but your final point is really befuddling...

...after you've expired and "once I'm buried," what would you need a hoe for? Odd.

But you've made your point on the value of hoes - indispensable on the trail! Everyone should have a hoe.

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
A SAT Phone, while no one piece of recovery gear can get you out of all situations a SAT Phone can call someone who does!

INSAYN

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, how many folks here feel they got stuck because the trail failed you, and nothing you could have done would have changed this?
Now, how many folks would say that with a little common sense used to check the trail ahead of time, or not showing off, that getting stuck could probably been avoided?

scrubber3

Not really here
I see you have a couple off-road vehicles.

How many hoes do you have?

Do you always travel with your hoes?

Where do you mount your hoes?

If you always travel with a hoe, does that you mean you keep a hoe handy for your use around the house, too; you know - a household-hoe?

Thanks for your clarification...

Nice!

expdtnoffroad

Supporting Sponsor
exhaustJackMain[1].jpgAlthough it may not be my first choice if I could only bring one recover tool, I have found that an exhaust jack works really well when the ground is hard for a lift jack to get a good purchase. Such as in snow, mud or sand. It also might be a good option if you don't have any jacking points for your hi lift jack. With up to 31 inches of lift up to 8800 pounds it'll do the job nicely. http://expeditionoffroad.com/4x4_parts/tools_recovery/exhaust_jacks/bushranger_x_jack

Last edited:

hieronymus

Adventurer
When you get stuck in the Sahara, the best recovery tool is a Tuareg with a fine pair of hands! either for digging you out, or pushing you :)

Sahara2223.jpg

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Got some great answers guys! Updated my personal recovery gear a little. Here is what I'm carrying.
60" hi lift xtreme
TJM portable compressor
ARB snatch strap
ARB tire repair kit
Flat head shovel
Gloves
Brains

MattScott

Approved Vendor
A good set of detailed paper maps.

For starters, they don't become useless without batteries, certain maps are even waterproof and if you can't get unstuck, or your vehicle is rendered useless - it's nice to know where you are. For you to get out, or to let someone know how to get to you.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I always bring:
- Tire Repair kit
- Air Compressor
- Good recovery strap (love my ARB one)
- Good 3/4" shackles (I keep three in my kit)
- SPOT
- Gloves, leather
- Radios of various types
- batteries of various sizes and quantities
- High quality flashlight - Surefire G2X currently
- I have a bunch of headlamps stashed here and there
- Camelbak 25oz water bottle, filled.
- Cheap but sharp folding knife

I use an ARB recovery bag which holds a lot of this stuff, and functions well as a safety drag for the recovery strap. I consider tools as part of any recovery kit, but I did not list them here. Same for a first aid kit.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Out of curiosity, how many folks here feel they got stuck because the trail failed you, and nothing you could have done would have changed this?

I had the trail (minimum maintenance road) fail me once. The culvert was rusted out, and it collapsed under the weight of my CJ.

Evidently, my Jeep weighed more than the quads and sidexsides that had been using the trail.

I was able to winch out, but a shovel, pick or Hi-Lift would have worked also.

You do bring up a great point though! I love to explore (don't we all?) and that means traveling down unfamiliar roads and trails, I guess that's why we bring recovery gear!

But doing some trail recon, can prevent a lot of 'stucks'.

A little common sense goes a long way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan