What ONE piece of recovery gear will you never leave home without?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
If I can take only one tool - assuming that means going with someone else of unknown provisions - I'd take my SPOT. It goes hand in hand with having a general plan, which is the ultimate tool.

Last edited:

carlpb

A piece of carpet

Some suggested sand ladders. In my experince spent in the sand (glamis dunes and beach's in baja) a scrap of carpet or floor mats worked wonders in a pinch and do not take up any uncessary room or cost money.

Never thought of the maddox but it makes more sense than a shovel to me.

First and foremost for recovery gear should be clothing, water and food. It may take time and an extra day or two to get out or find help, or may require a hike? Sometime all the gear you can carry can't get you out.

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
Sand ladders that have built in shovels at one end - i.e. Maxtrax or some of the aluminum ones I’ve seen
Then, Hi-Lift Jack

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Some type of communication cb,ham radio, music CD for a mirror ect. Common sense is in short supply these days. Just use your head. You seem to have the basic equipment. Shovel is good, a Back Hoe is better. Just kidding. Just sit down and write down your thoughts and think about the area you will travel into. Make a small list of what you have now and maybe add to it. Everyone has good ideas and what works for them, then look at your needs and the other suggestions and build from there. Maybe a length of chain with grab hooks.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Okay for real. The best recovery tool is your buddy's rig. Always take a buddy. This is by far THE most important recovery tool. I also take an E-tool, a Highlift with a lift mate and a platform to lift off of. some straps and a hand winch to get it on all 4 tires if need be. Also, having a flashlight is a great idea. I have 3 and a wind-up one just in case. I keep a few cardboard boxes under my rear mat(they are free, lightweight, and will get you out of some surprising things). I carry some rubber boots too. 2 pair just in case I have someone with me so they can't say "I don't want to mess up my shoes" to get out of helping. :) I would have to scrap any chain idea. Kind of pointless unless they are tire chains and you're on ice. I have an EMS jump bag because I am certified to use it. At the very least, you need a good first aid kit. (recovery tools can injure)

cweight

Observer
Assuming I am alone... if forced to choose between the two, I would much rather take a hi-lift than a winch (assuming I have the accessories, which in the case of a hi-lift includes strap or rope, to give it the same reach as a winch). For one thing, a hi-lift can pull in any direction - forwards, sideways or backwards - winches are effectively limited to a narrow range forward. A hi-lift can also lift your vehicle off a rock or out of sand/mud, if high-centered or buried. Finally, a hi-lift does not depend on a battery. Of course, a winch is much faster, but if you are truly stuck, time is something you normally have an abundance of. If not alone, I prefer my buddy have a winch :)

esh

Explorer
Disagree with the "always" items listed in this thread, especially always take a buddy. Gear gets you only so far, and just the paralyzing fear knowing you may not have some item along or if you do and it doesn't perform or isn't what works, can be a blow to keeping your brain working effectively in a situation. If I have buddies along that are worthless in certain situations, they are only going to make it worse. I have to become someone that can accept a situation, and excel in decision making during the situation. Only I can do that. Maybe if other like-minded individuals are along, they can do that too and we work in happy harmony, but I have to make myself good at effective decision-making regardless of who else is around. Likewise, I have to have the ability to filter and block out noise from people that have no clue about how to safely and effectively resolve a situation.

(on solo travel)
There is nothing more enjoyable than traveling alone in the back country. I am always prepared for a multiday hike out of a situation, and I am ok with a slow death if situations come so far as to reach that point (and so are my friends and family). Have been in a situation where that was a possible path (although many steps away from it becoming a reality), but I was able to extract the truck without resorting to half a dozen other measures that could have been needed (which I was ready for). It isn't going overboard preparing for each and every fear-based possibility you can imagine, it is about being aware and in a state of mind that leaves you ready for those situations, and also having an approach to travel that minimizes the chances of reaching the point of having to escape a situation in the first place. I travel much more conservatively when solo, and that kind of travel is probably the most rewarding over any kind of group travel, every single time. It probably comprises 75% of my trips.

(tools)
So the best tool? I agree with common sense. I would say travel gently, and I would say the Land Cruiser has been one of the most important tools I bring along. In 25 years of back country travel, mostly alone, I have yet to have one fail me... be it my '64 FJ40 with it's coarse splined this&that, single master cylinder, single bbl carb, funky solid throttle links, open diffs, drum brakes, and whatever else could be judged inferior to the beasts that get built up today (my HZJ62 included), or in the rock crawler '79 FJ40, or the oil burning wagon that sees 20-30,000 miles a year now... by far my best tool has been a Land Cruiser. In group travel I see truck after truck fail in one way or another and am always surprised at why people put up with it. It boggles me that for some, breaking an axle is just another usual thing to do on an outing.

(approach)
I have learned from my mistakes, primarily to get out and probe the ground in sketchy terrain or conditions. But I have also been in a handful of situations that have got me thinking creatively for the future- primarily creative extraction methods, whether it be winching yourself backwards or using an ice scraper to dig yourself out, or using a hi-lift as a winch. I am more than happy to turn around in a situation than push on, no skin off my back.. will be back another day, healthy and ready. I was out once this winter on a snow run where I was doing some mapping, and a guy we had along spent an HOUR on one section of a steep trail. I think he attempted it 50 times and as long as he made an inch of progress he just KNEW he would make it. That is insanity to me.
(I was off mapping spur roads and eventually came back and drove down the trail, on the CB saying "if you do not back out, I am pushing you backward")

(example)
here is the '64 on a trail, stuck going downhill, with friends around but trucks that were no help for extraction. I ended up using a log to allow the winch cable to run under the truck and pull it backwards to reset on a better line and get off the trail. Granted lack of experience and youth :) had something to do with getting there in the first place, but this situation was also experience BUILDING. (and I would have never attempted this trail alone in the conditions we had)
kse64-28.jpg

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Assuming I am alone... if forced to choose between the two, I would much rather take a hi-lift than a winch (assuming I have the accessories, which in the case of a hi-lift includes strap or rope, to give it the same reach as a winch). For one thing, a hi-lift can pull in any direction - forwards, sideways or backwards - winches are effectively limited to a narrow range forward. A hi-lift can also lift your vehicle off a rock or out of sand/mud, if high-centered or buried. Finally, a hi-lift does not depend on a battery. Of course, a winch is much faster, but if you are truly stuck, time is something you normally have an abundance of. If not alone, I prefer my buddy have a winch :)

No argument about your points in this post but one. A winch can be limited to forward pulls only if lacking the appropriate equipment. Winches are perfectly capable of pulling forwards, up or down, sideways, or backwards when also supplied with snatch-blocks, shackles, and strapping materials. BTDT.

A winch is not a solution by itself - I've seen vehicles with winches get stuck and no other equipment is on the truck as they scramble for the directions on how to use it...

But all of this is moot - if I've learned anything from this thread it is...

The only tool for self-recovery is a pick maddox.

Last edited:

yohavos

I like a hoe for snow removal from axles.

I also like to declare "it's time to get my hoe" once I'm buried.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I like a hoe for snow removal from axles.

I also like to declare "it's time to get my hoe" once I'm buried.

I see you have a couple off-road vehicles.

How many hoes do you have?

Do you always travel with your hoes?

Where do you mount your hoes?

If you always travel with a hoe, does that you mean you keep a hoe handy for your use around the house, too; you know - a household-hoe?

Thanks for your clarification...

yohavos

I see you have a couple off-road vehicles.

How many hoes do you have?

Do you always travel with your hoes?

Where do you mount your hoes?

If you always travel with a hoe, does that you mean you keep a hoe handy for your use around the house, too; you know - a household-hoe?

Thanks for your clarification...

I'll see if I can handle these...

-I have two hoes. I broke one but was able to tape it up... so it's like a backup hoe.

-My hoes usually stays at home, unless I'm going in an area that I expect to see snow.

-I've had my hoe on my roof rack, as well as in the back of the truck. I like the roof rack because it screams "landscaper" rather than "I saw this on ExPo so I bought it" and is also more convenient when the hoe is dirty. No one likes a dirty hoe inside the truck.

-The previously mentioned hoe that had tape repair done to it has been relegated to gardening duty. It's a hoe, so there's not much else to do with it. Once a hoe, always a hoe.

I hope that clears things up, and reenforces my second point (mentioned in my original post).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears