Overland Navigator

jomobco

Now Decanter
Do an apple version please. Having an SSD drive which isn't effected by vibration in something like a macbook air is what I'd like to use. Plus I own one already :) Or an Ipad please!

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
LOL You guys! :D

Here's the story on North up vs direction up. A vector based GPS like a Garmin 60CSx can render labels on the fly such that they are always human readable. A USGS map is a scan of a paper map including the labels. All of the labels will be rendered sideways and ultimately upside down (when driving south) because of this. So, the natural choice in the early versions of Overland Navigator was to have the map displayed North Up all the time. Remember, it's just me hacking away on the code when I'm not working on my website, planning this summers NW Overland Rally, etc. I'm definitely planning to add features such as this in, but in my list of things "todo" colored tracks, track editing, and a few other features are more frequently requested so I'm going to add those in first.

All of your ideas and suggestions are welcome. If you send them to support@spatialminds.com they get tracked in the feature tracking system. I don't always check this thread, so email is also the best way to insure it gets to my ears. The one thing I can say is that the next version is a major re-write and is going to both be sweet and make a lot of you guys here happy. :)

Craig

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
craig I know your very busy with NW Overland Rally but any idea of when the next version will be out? I was going to order O.N. and Idaho State but I guess I'll wait for the update version. Thank's for a great product!!

craig

Sorry Brian, nothing to announce yet. I'll treat everyone fairly though. If you buy now and I release soon after you buy I'm going to upgrade you for free. Similarly, I really appreciate all the long time Overland Navigator users and will either upgrade them for free or offer a substantial discount when the time comes.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Sorry Brian, nothing to announce yet. I'll treat everyone fairly though. If you buy now and I release soon after you buy I'm going to upgrade you for free. Similarly, I really appreciate all the long time Overland Navigator users and will either upgrade them for free or offer a substantial discount when the time comes.

Excellent. Looking forward to the updates.

Jack

craig

I just started another thread on the Facebook page. I'd love to hear, in your words, what it is about your particular platform that makes it ideal for use in an Overland vehicle.

The objective of this project is to get community input on everything from hardware on up and REALLY determine what the absolute best product in the niche would look like. I'm going to have that discussion on our Facebook page. Once that's decided, I plan to post wireframes of what the next version will look like and once again solicit community input. Voting will be used heavily.

I should probably get Chip Haven on the hardware discussion thread. He does a great job of tracking the changes in all the various hardware platforms.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I looked through this thread and if I missed it and repeat it I am sorry.

I was wondering about putting a mile scale on screen? when you zoom in it auto adjusts with that scale.

DaveM

Explorer
I've got a poll up on our Facebook page asking

"What platform should the next version of Overland Navigator support? (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, iPad/iPhone/iOS, Android)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Overland-Navigator/87390284623?notif_t=page_user_activity

I'm not on Facebook so can't vote directly but I'll put one in over here for iOS. I'd say OSX as well but I think there's some good anecdotal evidence out there that OSX will eventually be replaced with a desktop version of iOS anyway.

DaveM

Explorer
Craig, will Overland Navigator import any geo-referenced raster, or only data from the map packs? If only from the map packs than that's the biggest change I would suggest for your next iteration of ON, move to an open file import model and away from proprietary map data. Allow users to import directly from downloadable sources like USGS or utilize custom cartography for special purposes or regions.

craig

I looked through this thread and if I missed it and repeat it I am sorry.

I was wondering about putting a mile scale on screen? when you zoom in it auto adjusts with that scale.

It definitely needs a some way of describing distance. A scale bar is one option, another would be to draw distance rings around the position arrow. I'm going to experiment with both and see which works the best while still keeping the UI clean.

I'm not trying to pimp the Facebook page, but it would be great if you'd join the conversation on there. It's hard to keep up with comments from website forums all over the internet so I'm trying to focus the discussion and design reviews on there. I'll be posting UI design documents, alpha releases of the software, etc as I build the next version. It'll hopefully go fast and be a very iterative process.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior