Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

R-Overland

Adventurer
I'm in Florida too, where'd you go to get your radiator built?

Using stock fans or the Mercedes Volvo setup redrover did? Did you make shrouds?

Did you modify Chevy engine mounts, fab your own, or...

its s custom radiator
I am using a Lincoln MK VIII electric fan with custom shroud
I also use a hybrid chevy mount

LtFuzz

Explorer
its s custom radiator
I am using a Lincoln MK VIII electric fan with custom shroud
I also use a hybrid chevy mount

You can also buy a motor mount adaptor kit from Mark's 4x4 (at least I know you can get them for D1s and RRCs, dunno about P38.)

R-Overland

Adventurer
So did anything ever happen with the conversion kit being offered for sale?

I am in the final stage of putting the kit together, now it's the most fun part , which is number crunching.
so far the price for the hardware is $1200. But the more pledged customers I can work with the more I can work out the
price better.
So who is onboard?

LtFuzz

Explorer
I am in the final stage of putting the kit together, now it's the most fun part , which is number crunching.
so far the price for the hardware is $1200. But the more pledged customers I can work with the more I can work out the
price better.
So who is onboard?

Mark's kit is $800 or so, plus shipping from Australia... so you're not too far off.

ArmyRover

Adventurer
at $1200 it's a I'll think about it for me, the MGB engine swap and paint job will come first. I thought I had adapters squared away before but the deal didn't pan out.

corprin

Adventurer
I have 210k on the original 4.0 in my new '97 Disco, and diesel was one of the ideas being kicked around. Initially I was thinking 300tdi swap, then moved to Isuzu 4BD1T, and now the looks of this swap is too easy to let go. One requirement I have is ALL bits work properly, including A/C, cruise control, tach etc. I know this is all just a matter of wiring and fabrication, so no worries there.

My question is this... when running the 4L80E mated to the factory t-case, are you able to use the factory selector lever in the cab? I am quite new to the LR scene, so I don't know what the linkages/cables/etc look like under there yet, but that is a concern... no cuts to the floor. Is this possible?

LtFuzz

Explorer
I have 210k on the original 4.0 in my new '97 Disco, and diesel was one of the ideas being kicked around. Initially I was thinking 300tdi swap, then moved to Isuzu 4BD1T, and now the looks of this swap is too easy to let go. One requirement I have is ALL bits work properly, including A/C, cruise control, tach etc. I know this is all just a matter of wiring and fabrication, so no worries there.

My question is this... when running the 4L80E mated to the factory t-case, are you able to use the factory selector lever in the cab? I am quite new to the LR scene, so I don't know what the linkages/cables/etc look like under there yet, but that is a concern... no cuts to the floor. Is this possible?

No idea what cruise control would require, but converting the stock tach to work isn't that easy -- hooking a TinyTach to the alternator would be the easiest way. No one has figured out the A/C yet. I'm currently looking at it but it will require some tricky bracketology. I haven't found space yet.

Dunno about the 4L80E specifically as I use the R380, but I'm sure any good adapter kit would allow the t-case to remain in the correct position..

REDROVER

Explorer
No idea what cruise control would require, but converting the stock tach to work isn't that easy -- hooking a TinyTach to the alternator would be the easiest way. No one has figured out the A/C yet. I'm currently looking at it but it will require some tricky bracketology. I haven't found space yet.

Dunno about the 4L80E specifically as I use the R380, but I'm sure any good adapter kit would allow the t-case to remain in the correct position..

marks adapter ,can answer that question if the with 4l80e transfer case will stay at the same position or not, if no then its another game, ( means interior change, floor board change and new drive shafts)

air condition is not a big deal to add, you can always use Japanese car condenser they are very tin . and the compressor will be the one used on the 6.2 or 6.5. or best option in my mind is to put one of those units used in many limousines , those are electric , heat and cold in the same unit around 250 bucks

if you guys see how big stupid and useless the AC unit is on classic range rover then you will understand why those compact electric units used on limousines are state of the art compare to original one used in RRC

R-Overland

Adventurer
marks adapter ,can answer that question if the with 4l80e transfer case will stay at the same position or not, if no then its another game, ( means interior change, floor board change and new drive shafts)

air condition is not a big deal to add, you can always use Japanese car condenser they are very tin . and the compressor will be the one used on the 6.2 or 6.5. or best option in my mind is to put one of those units used in many limousines , those are electric , heat and cold in the same unit around 250 bucks

if you guys see how big stupid and useless the AC unit is on classic range rover then you will understand why those compact electric units used on limousines are state of the art compare to original one used in RRC

Eric, do you have a link to one of these limousine units?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan