Post up your drawer/storage system

Lipek

Observer
Here goes my set up:
576173fb.jpg

I got this drawer from a buddy of mine and it fits perfect in the back of my Fj. I keep my spare parts and recovery gear in it as well as my small emergency two man tent. I also put a dog bed on top and that's where my pup goes during our adventures.
000504bd.jpg

This bag contains all my gear for the C02 tank as well as emergency 2 way radios.
a664d1a3.jpg

Small bag contains water purification system and spare batteries.
77111A6D-369D-452E-ACB2-3F9367D03A26-23718-00001A226475B56D.jpg

This is my lattes edition, the bag on the left is my medical bag/trauma bag. Next to it is my emergency nalgeen with water. The back pack contains tie downs ratchet straps and assorted nuts and bolts. The last bag contains jet boil and solar powered led lantern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAILUAZ

Down wit da Hui
There are some trick builds here thats for sure! I'm looking to make something like this for my 99. I've been going back and forth on using HD drawer slides or skateboard bearings but I think I'm going to go with UHMW Polyethylene "sliders". Easy and cheap.

I have the two ammo cans already which surprisingly fit right in the back end to end with some room to spare. I figured they would work well as a removable storage system. I really like the table tops some of you have done and split it to make a shelf for the ammo can. I thought about making a slide out system for the ammo cans but I think the split table top will be more useful as long as the can weight isn't to heavy.

Anyway thanks to everyone for posting your setups, I cant wait to get started on this.

4Runner box by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
That is awesome !!

Got mine sorted a bit more with fine weather kicking in early.

Was initially dubious of the value of drawers due their permanence, cost to buy or lack of tools and space to make my own.

Had survived with a simple plastic tub in next to the fridge for food and bags of clothes piled in top. Worked ok but was a bit messy and was a nightmare to get to food when the Patrol was packed. So maybe drawers were a good idea.

Started trawling eBay for a bargain. This never turned up so changed my tact and started thinking what else has drawers, is sturdy, lockable, right size and cheap.

I give to you the humble filing cabinet. Fit all the criteria, was free, was the same colour as the interior by a complete fluke.

View attachment 119037
View attachment 119038

Works for me, can't wait to see if it works as well as I hope once we go camping.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Here is my storage/sleeping platform in my 2008 Jeep GC CRD....

I did remove the rear seats...maybe 2 people have set in the back in the 4 years I have own the GC...they are gone.

i-kxh7FRc-L.jpg

i-vTJk5jP-L.jpg

i-bdQbv7B-L.jpg

i-STsp94g-L.jpg

Decided to DynaMat...

i-Qq9SMxQ-L.jpg

Tie downs on the sides of the boxes.

i-2pCLzGp-L.jpg

Carpet added:

i-GFt4HXt-L.jpg

i-nr9h4ZN-L.jpg

i-NJVcqxp-L.jpg

i-WPW744c-L.jpg

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Started trawling eBay for a bargain. This never turned up so changed my tact and started thinking what else has drawers, is sturdy, lockable, right size and cheap.

I give to you the humble filing cabinet. Fit all the criteria, was free, was the same colour as the interior by a complete fluke.

I also picked up 'free to collect', three drawer file cabinets. I got lucky and was able to choose the only two with a more modern (and less angular) curved front, and with a bedliner type finish. They lock too.

I gave one to my friend and kept the other.

Surfy

Adventurer
This is a drawer setup, to sleep inside:

innen2.jpg

DSC_0261.jpeg

For this reason i get two small 15l Engel Fridge. You find more pictures in my signature link.

Modeler

W1DCS
That's (if I'm not mistaken) 80/20 extrusion. Great stuff.

I don't think it is. The Metric stuff of 80/20 has a cross around the center hole IIRC. Also, 80/20 isn't common on his side of the pond. Bosch and Item were the two biggest ones from when I spent my time working for a German company that used both.

General Automag

Adventurer
THEN I MOVED UP TO A 100 SERIES LAND CRUISER AND STARTED OVER AGAIN IN 2011:

I worked on it again this weekend...between drooling over the work occuring on my garage. I'd say about half the job is physical work, the other half is staring at the cargo area, sketching and planning. This was NOT an easy design to decide on. What made it easier is knowing that I am going to take it all apart at the end of the year and rebuild it again. I used only 1/2 inch plywood, 3/4 lumber and screws to build it. I don't like the plywood/plywood joints, but for a test version that work fine. Not using glue will make this easier to disassembly later. The next version will definitely incorporate metal.

Enough talk, here's the pics!

The overall look: The flat part in the upper center is for the fire extinguisher/mag light/etc.
IMG_20110425_123838.jpg

Two 7 gallon water tanks. Designed so the extra can be swapped out with the spigoted one.
IMG_20110425_124215.jpg

I had to customize the drawer to accomodate the spigot. The water is as far to the back as the cargo doors would allow. This recess gives room to get a cup/pot/etc under the spigot. The whole area with the tanks will be lined in waterproofing that will extend to a "sink" type of thing under the spigot. Any leaks should be directed to a tube and out of the vehicle.
IMG_20110425_123850.jpg

Drawers open. I had 24" and 30" slides on hand, thus the difference in how far they pull out. I designed them so when pulled out, they just barely rest on the tailgate. This way the weight is not on the hinges when fully extended.
IMG_20110425_123903.jpg

The side area over and behind the wheel well (under ruff-ruffs spot) hinges open. I will fit almost all my "dirty" stuff in there. Axe, shovel, recovery, tools, saw, etc. The two drawers should be left for just "kitchen" and "camping" stuff.
IMG_20110425_123932.jpg

Secret little DC plug for fridge tucked away
IMG_20110425_124032.jpg

I made use of every nook and cranny and was not afraid to cut into the plastic cargo liner. Here is an example of extra space gained that was previously empty space behind the panels.
IMG_20110425_124108.jpg

Here is the "extended cab" behind the seats. There was some space behind the water jugs (not as deep as the fridge), so I cut an access to make use of the space. Who knows what I will put in there, but something I am sure.
IMG_20110425_124136.jpg

Pictures don't really tell the story of this build like being in front of it. Is is WAAAAY more complicated and tricky than my 4runner cargo build. Even for version 1.0 it is not finished. I've got lots to do still! At least it is ready enough for Moab...well...close.

I like those water cans with the spigots. What is the brand and where did you buy them? Are you happy with the setup? Something like that would work great for us too because the water cans would be easy to fill assuming that they had some type of carry handles. Thanks!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Do you have any idea how long it takes to go through 80 pages here? A long time! And worth every minute of it, even went to links of the VW campers in Spain that had some great ideas...(no, you have to find it, LOL).

I'm an old Army guy which means a foot locker and packs. Everything (almost) is in soft bags, tents, mess kits, tools, even water goes in bags, etc. I'm surprised that I only found one using several hanging bags or packs. No hanging systems or racks. Canvas is lighter than aluminum and wood......anyone have such a system?

Also, wondering if anyone has ammo cans or metal boxes mounted along the frame under the vehicle especially under a pickup bed....lots of space down there so long as you don't reduce the clearance. ??

grimbo

Explorer
I used to run ammo boxes bolted to the sides of my tray on my Samurai, will try and find some pics

You can just see one of them behind the cab on the side of the bed
attachment.php

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12