Post up your drawer/storage system

targa88

Explorer
My goal was to consolidate various bags and boxes of gear into a couple of drawers, maximizing space and keeping things as light as I could. The box and drawers are 1/2" birch ply, doweled and glued, spar varnished with flat black Rustoleum on the exposed exterior faces and carpet on top, back and sides. I used UHMW tape in place of HD drawer slides so I could maximize drawer width between the two wheel wells. The cabinet bolts to the floor of the cargo area with four bolts at each corner.

View attachment 105774 View attachment 105775 View attachment 105777 View attachment 105779

The carpet edge was trimmed/sealed with black RTV silicone as a stopgap until I could find or make a suitable metal edge trim. It has held up so well, though, that I've decided to just leave it that way. Looks clean and blends well with the black finish.

The second part of the project was a platform extension in place of the rear seat. We only need three seats for the family, so the extra seat was just taking up valuable space even when folded. The seat was removed and the platform was designed and built to act as a sleeping space for one (me, when we all go camping we use a tent) with storage below for recovery gear & misc. stuff. When on the road & trail the dog, cooler, etc. ride on the platform. Same materials and finish as the drawer cabinet with the addition of aluminum brackets that utilize the four bolt locations from the deleted seat.

View attachment 105780 View attachment 105782 View attachment 105783 View attachment 105785

Very professional set-up.
Definitely props to you for the conception and fabrication.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
My 2006 LJ Project Overland

DSC00914.jpgattachment.jpegattachment-1.jpegIMG_20130103_083612-1.jpgIMG_20130106_110504.jpgIMG_20130106_110428.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgPB101048.jpgPB101034.jpgI dove into this hard and fast so I really didn't have (take the) time to do a proper "build thread"

The vast majority of the items were purchased from ExPo members so it wasn't as costly as everyone might think. I started off by making a subfloor out of 3/4" MDF coated in LINE-X. It bolts into the existing points for the rear seat and seatbelt mounts so its very solid and secure.

All of the drawer slides and SWAG OFF ROAD BAJA Bins bolt into threaded inserts so that they can be removed and reinstalled with ease. I can remove the entire system (if necessary in 15-20 minutes by myself.

I picked up the AT drawers from a forum member and my imagination (fueled by a lincoln log-erector set-lego and tetris infused childhood along with a knack for MacGuyverism) embarked on a journey leading me to this point and .... the rest is history... Oh and my access to an aviation airframe machinist with a taste for Dos Equis came in VERY handy!

The Main drawer sits on dual Accuride locking slides and fully extends out from the rear of the Jeep. From there the Engel 45 (purchased from an ExPo member) and the other AT drawer slide out sideways on KV locking Push/pull slides. Nested beneath those is a Cook Partner 3 burner stove. On top of the smaller drawer I can mount the generator and AT portable heater (both purchased from ExPo members!) I also mounted the pull pal spade on the side of the drawer and the Pullpal (purchased from ExPo member) is mounted on the roof rack cage. (Update) the pull pal was moved inside and mounted next to the Hi-lift jack.

Behind the slide-out ensemble; I have two SWAG OFFROAD BAJA BINS mounted to the sub floor and another two that stack on top of those as well as the capability of stacking 2Rotopax containers on top each of those! SWAG OFF ROAD has some awesome products and they're a made right here in the USA. They are a small buisness located in Oregon, have excellent customer service and iron-clad innovative products! Troy owns and operates the buisness. swagoffroad.com

On top of the Jeep I also have room for other Action Packer containers for additional storage. In front of the Eezi Awn RTT (purchased from Overlandthe world) I have an aluminum sand ladder that is dual purposed as as roof rack/platform secured to the roof rack bars with FOURTREKS perp mounts. The other sand ladder is bolted down to the load bars on the driver side. Also a another storage area. Makes a great platform when using the RTT. I put the portable heater there when in use. If needed (as a last resort) they (the sand ladders) can be removed and used for recovery purposes. Thanks to the other great FOURTREKS products I also have their Fire extinguisher, hi lift jack, tow strap, pull pal, and awning mounting systems. I had an ARB awning and changed over to an EEZI AWN 2000. with some modifications it worked perfectly. I will be adding a Hannibal awning with sides for the rear of the Jeep. again, i will be using Foutreks perp mounts. They're also built in the USA and rock solid pieces of gear (VIVA SMALL BUISNESSES!!) Luke is a good dude call him directly or order on-line. fourtreks.com

Thats it in a nutshell. I tried to keep it short and sweet. I'm always open to questions, suggestions and constructive criticism.

View attachment 136624View attachment 136625View attachment 136626View attachment 136627View attachment 136628View attachment 136629View attachment 136630View attachment 136631View attachment 136632View attachment 136633

Last edited:

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Amazing setup Yuman Desert Rat. I am impressed. I have an AT drawer in my LJ as well, but the rest of my storage is in hypalon duffel bags. Using action packers with the Swag mounts is brilliant as is the double slides over the Partner stove. You don't often see a RTT on the LJ either and it looks great. Do you have a shot of the Jeep all packed up and ready to move. I am just curious as to what it looks like with everything fully stowed, both on the inside and outside.

Troy

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Just amazing organization. The fucntionality if very well thought out. Please post more pics of everything packed.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
attachment-1.jpegattachment.jpegThanks for all of the kind words! I'll get some photos up ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_20121110_153036-1.jpg
    IMG_20121110_153036-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20121110_144727-1.jpg
    IMG_20121110_144727-1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 3,821
Last edited:

grimbo

Explorer
Love the side slide setup to get that little bit extra out of the setup. Those years playing with Lego sure paid off

rockman

Adventurer
I dove into this hard and fast so I really didn't have (take the) time to do a proper "build thread"

The vast majority of the items were purchased from ExPo members so it wasn't as costly as everyone might think. I started off by making a subfloor out of 3/4" MDF coated in LINE-X. It bolts into the existing points for the rear seat and seatbelt mounts so its very solid and secure.

All of the drawer slides and SWAG OFF ROAD BAJA Bins bolt into threaded inserts so that they can be removed and reinstalled with ease. I can remove the entire system (if necessary in 15-20 minutes by myself.

I picked up the AT drawers from a forum member and my imagination (fueled by a lincoln log-erector set-lego and tetris infused childhood along with a knack for MacGuyverism) embarked on a journey leading me to this pint and .... the rest is history... Oh and my access to an aviation airframe machinist with a taste for Dos Equis came in VERY handy!

The Main drawer sits on dual Accuride locking slides and fully slides out from the rear of the Jeep. From there the Engel 45 (purchased from an ExPo member) and the other AT drawer slide out sideways on KV locking Push/pull slides. Nested beneath those is a Cook Partner 3 burner stove. On top of the smaller drawer I can mount the generator and AT portable heater (both purchased from ExPo members!) I also mounted the pull pal spade on the side!

Behind the slide-out ensemble; I have two SWAG OFFROAD BAJA BINS mounted to the sub floor and another two that stack on top of those as well as the capability of stacking 2Rotopax containers on top of those! SWAG OFF ROAD has some awesome products and they're a made in the USA small buisness with excellent customer service and iron-clad innovative products! Troy owns and operates the buisness.

On top of the Jeep I also have room for other Action Packer containers for additional storage. In front of the Eezi Awn RTT I have an aluminum sand ladder that is dual purposed as as roof rack/platform secured to the roof rack bars with FOURTREKS perp mounts. If needed (as a last resort) they can be removed and used for recovery purposes. Thanks to the other great FOURTREKS products I also have their Fire extinguisher, hi lift jack, tow strap, pull pal, and awning mounting systems. They're built in the USA and rock solid pieces of gear (VIVA SMALL BUISNESSES!!) Luke is a good dude call him directly or order on-line.

Thats it in a nutshell. I tried to keep it short and sweet. I'm always open to questions, suggestions and constructive criticism.

View attachment 136624View attachment 136625View attachment 136626View attachment 136627View attachment 136628View attachment 136629View attachment 136630View attachment 136631View attachment 136632View attachment 136633

Congrats ... that would be the most well thought out , use of all space , drawer system I have ever seen .

Cheers :bowdown:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Thanks! Much appreciated. I have a few other things planned but that's the heart of the build. I'll take some more detailed photos once I knock out the rest of the mini-projects..

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
The Jeep looks great all buttoned up Yuman. Which awning do you have mounted to the rack, a Fiamma or an Eezi Awn? It is a perfect fit. I have a Hannibal mounted to my Garvin rack but it is narrower than I would like at only 67".

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
PC231144.jpgPC231141.jpgPC231146.jpgPC231142.jpgPC231139.jpgPC231143.jpgPC231140.jpgIt an Eezi Awn. I also have an ARB with the screen room (only used one). I need to get off my butt and sell it.. Great piece of gear.

this is with the AT portable heater, generator and PETT stowed...

At 2013 Desert rendezvous.. Just before installing the Hannibal rear awning.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior