Lets see some full size pictures...

TRDFAN

Adventurer
Looks like deer hunting on the prairies lol

Waterfowl....Sask. Awesome hunting and perfect weather.
manypics_zps714801b5.jpg

And a cool shot setting up in the morning
settingup_zps92439ec8.jpg

TRDFAN

Adventurer
TRDFAN.. what kind of cargo carrier is on your cap/topper?

Its a basket off a utility van. It originally had gutter mounts, but I cut them down and made them into legs that I could thru-bolt to the topper. The rack itself was a homemade job for the van, but quality was good. For what I paid for it, I couldn't have bought have the metal necessary. Overall it has worked out well, especially for this last trip. I have stood on the rack several times, no problems.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have here a full-size beer...Does that work?
Improper form and orientation. To do this properly you must smile and outstretch the left arm toward me holding the bottle in an upright position. The right hand would have a thumbs up and hold a bottle opener ready to open the top on my "full size beer". ;) Practice, practice, practice and you will perfect the pose :)

tacogrande

08HD.jpg

08 2500HD, cognito suspension up front, deaver springs in the rear riding on fox shocks. BMF wheels and nitto trail grappler tires. We mostly use it to tow a travel trailer, and sometimes just sleep in the bed.

LukesPa

Observer
Here's Mine GMC Sierra 1500 with FWC Hawk

OK, here is my full sized do it all expedition rig. By do it all, for me that's family road trips, fishing weekend, dirt road exploration, pioneer routes, way out camping, etc.
Truck.jpg
This weekend I was up in the local mountains and learned the lesson "don't drive down an unknown trail farther than you are willing or able to back out". Well past the point of no return I found myself on the descent of horrors. This is clearly a trail I had no business being on with this rig.
Oh Oh.jpg

Trench.jpg

I made it through mostly unscathed and proved my rig very capable of the things I intend it for. Define "unscathed"....well I drove away, finished the trip and drove home. The only damage to the truck was a few dents to my lower rocker panels below the doors. My camper was undamaged except for a scrape to the plastic door to my outside shower.....this is 6 feet off the ground and the scrape was caused by the ground. My son and I prayed earlier in the day for safety and that we wouldn't break the truck....I'd say it worked.

The Rig 2007 GMC Sierra Classic Z71 4X4, stock except for 2.5" leveling kit in the front, upgraded Bilstien shocks all around, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags in the rear, a K&N intake, and Magnaflow muffler. The Camper is a 2004 Four Wheel Campers "Hawk", I bought it used, fully loaded. In hindsight I wish I'd bought a new shell model and outfitted it myself. I could have kept the weight quite a bit lower and not had built in stuff I really don't use. Still I love the FWC, and I get positive comments and questions everywhere I go.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 35

cahilj

I've lurked here for long enough. My junk-

2001 Ram Sport-
5.2L
3.92s (someday I'll get some 4.10s)
3" TGC coil spacer/add-a-leaf lift
35" Dunlops
on board air
CB, Icom radio, computer mount
ARE cap
cap-to-camper convertor thingy
spare carrier rear bumper
dual batteries (no pics)
Luke's Link track bar end
front receiver

I used to drive this truck daily until gas got to $4/gal a few years back. Since then it's been reduced to the weekend and winter vehicle. I also used to tow my car to races with it, but 35"s with 3.92s really got old, so I finally bought a dedicated tow vehicle this year. At some point I'd like to trim the front bumper back for more tire clearance, or maybe I'll go another inch higher (3" was the limit for me in MA, but I've moved to KS since). I've been all up and down the east coast camping in this truck, and I've only ever had two problems to date. I had a caliper mount bracket bolt come out (my own fault), and recently when I moved it out to KS, the rear U joint on the driveshaft let loose on the highway and it damn near killed me when it flew out from under the truck at 70mph. I was a volunteer fire fighter in MA, hence the lightbar and radios. Sometimes I put a GoLight on top of the lightbar with either a clear or infrared filter on it.

ext11-1.jpg

trail08041913.jpg

trail080419.jpg

27697_1313152400012_1566720010_3077.jpg

stuck9.jpg

3" of ice in about 6 hours a few years back. We spent 48 hours clearing roads, and even then they were just barely passable-
ice0839.jpg

ice08107.jpg

These are pretty old pics. I run a Toughbook 19 on a docking station now-
int.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Hi-lift, Max Axe, 16' collapsible ladder, fluids, pistol safe, lights, etc-
max.jpg

ladder.jpg

latch.jpg

I built my own swing out spare tire rack. I'm going to turn the fuel can sideways and add another pocket for a water can-
Photo0033.jpg

27697_1313153600042_1566720010_3077.jpg

Camper thingy (I picked this up at Cabela's some years ago. Works great)-
DSCN1787.jpg

York 210 and tank-
compressor9.jpg

compressor4.jpg

Caliper bracket issue-
DSCN1784.jpg

Aftermath of driveshaft loss. When it exited, it took out the tire, muffler, trans case housing (had to replace the entire thing), and just barely missed my car on the tow dolly behind it-
IMG075.jpg

IMG072.jpg

2003 Silverado 1500HD-
pretty much stock
6.0L
ARE cap
Tahoe center console (I can't stand having to reach to the floor for my drink)

This truck will be getting a CB radio, some more toolbox organization, York compressor, back up cam, and possibly an aux fuel tank. Other than that it's staying stock and just used for parts getting and towing.

Day I bought it-
5I25Kb5F93Kd3L93Nfc8737240a8d53771c85.jpg

After cap. I really love the ARE DCU caps. This one has dual toolboxes. I've added some reverse/work lights, oval LED tails, and LED interior lights since this pic
IMG102.jpg

The only other real "mod" I've done is built a mount for my race jack-
Jack13.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears