WhereThehellisMurph, 3 Wheels, 7 Continents, 7 Years

Old Sarge

Observer
Your story telling is as incredible as your photo's are. I can't decide if I am envious of your journey or just glad to be where its 70 degrees F.:coffeedrink: Although I would love to travel to many of these places, I don't think I will make most of them, however I am honored to be able to see these areas from your pictures! I really could see this being made a novel and a movie and I would read the novel and see the movie! Stay safe on your travels.

Emelie

Heye Murph,

GORGEOUS photos on this post. Absolutely beautiful. Id like to second mr. Old Sarge with with his "I can see this being made a novel and a movie" and Id see/read them both. I'm just waiting for the day your trip, and you with it, will take off in the public eye - because I know it will happen. It's too good not to.

Take care tough guy
/Emelie

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Heye Murph,

GORGEOUS photos on this post. Absolutely beautiful. Id like to second mr. Old Sarge with with his "I can see this being made a novel and a movie" and Id see/read them both. I'm just waiting for the day your trip, and you with it, will take off in the public eye - because I know it will happen. It's too good not to.

Take care tough guy
/Emelie

Emelie, thanks so much again for the high praise, really appreciate it.

Murph.

johnnieev

Hi Murph-

WOW! WHAT AN ADVENTURE!!!

You make me very jealous! My wife loves looking at all your pics as well.

Needless to say, I look forward to any posting here as well as your blog to see where you are and what fabulous pics you are posting. I see your plans eventually have you coming to Asia. I hope you are able to swing by where I live with my wife and 2 kids. There just might be some good food and a comfortable bed for you to crash here when you make it here.

I saw the posting about the person who told you basically slow down and "stop and smell the roses." I wholeheartedly agree with that person. Best way to experience things is like you have been: stop, meet people, and get to know them in your time with them. People's generosity comes out when they get to know you, as I have found out when I have done some travelling on my own.

Best of luck, Murph, and stay warm!!

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Hi Murph-

WOW! WHAT AN ADVENTURE!!!

You make me very jealous! My wife loves looking at all your pics as well.

Needless to say, I look forward to any posting here as well as your blog to see where you are and what fabulous pics you are posting. I see your plans eventually have you coming to Asia. I hope you are able to swing by where I live with my wife and 2 kids. There just might be some good food and a comfortable bed for you to crash here when you make it here.

I saw the posting about the person who told you basically slow down and "stop and smell the roses." I wholeheartedly agree with that person. Best way to experience things is like you have been: stop, meet people, and get to know them in your time with them. People's generosity comes out when they get to know you, as I have found out when I have done some travelling on my own.

Best of luck, Murph, and stay warm!!

John (and wife),

Thanks for writing. In all honesty, for a while there I wasn't too sure if my posts were resonating with people here as I never really got too many comments,
so it's really great for me to read them and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Slowing this journey of mine down was, is, probably the best thing I have done. It's allowed me the time to be able to immerse myself wherever I go without feeling that "Oh, I have to be 'here' or 'there' by Friday. Now I just leave it up to my natural rhythms. If I want to move on tomorrow, I do, if I don't and can stay where I am, I stay. I'm fortunate at the moment to have friended a fantastic network of MC's here in Scandinavia. Without their hospitality, I wouldn't have this luxury of time.

Cheers guy, and the Santa Claus post is next tomorrow. Be sure to stop by, I got to meet Santa :)

Murph.

Arlo

Adventurer
Hi Murph,

sorry about my only reading your posts.

But you shall be sure you made all my days when reading your new reports.

I like your style of telling the story and your beautiful pictures too.

Don't hesitate in continuing! Please!!!

Btw. when reading your forcasted route, you will come back to Germany again when heading south?
If so, feel free to be a guest at our home in Bremen.
Just send me a PN, you will get the address promptly.

Mel, Kurt and Arlo

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Hi Murph,

sorry about my only reading your posts.

But you shall be sure you made all my days when reading your new reports.

I like your style of telling the story and your beautiful pictures too.

Don't hesitate in continuing! Please!!!

Btw. when reading your forcasted route, you will come back to Germany again when heading south?
If so, feel free to be a guest at our home in Bremen.
Just send me a PN, you will get the address promptly.

Mel, Kurt and Arlo

Mel, Kurt, Arlo,

No worries, I'm glad that you're reading them. And very happy to hear how much they meant to you, very glad indeed.

And I have every intention of continuing, don't worry :)

My forecasted route is "supposed" to lead me to Germany again, to Sinzig to be exact. But I'm not sure yet whether I will be going there, but if I do
I would be delighted to come to Bremen to visit thank you. I will PM you soon.

Murph.

Arlo

Adventurer
Heading Sinzig from Suomi on the directly way, Bremen might be a little bit out off your line.
Think about it.
It'll be just a twinkle of your eye when thinking about your route having done and heading on.
I'm looking forward about it.

Mel and Arlo are still reading, Kurt is at the keyboard.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
ROVANIEMI, FINLAND..........Dear Santa.

SantaVillageRovaniemiFinland2013-3_zps9d6a9022.jpg

SantaVillageRovaniemiFinland2013-3-2_zps81d13c1a.jpg

Someone put an immense amount of work into this envelope, a beautiful example of the fine and dying art of Calligraphy.

Rovaniemi Finlands most notorious, or in this case, well known resident is of course, Santa Claus. But the real story and meaning of how Santa Claus came to be was only brought to my attention recently by the president of Karu MC, Hekki. He prefaced his email with a warning that came along with the information he enclosed and the accompanying videos. If possible, I will include them at the end of the post rather than spoil it right from the very beginning.

Meanwhile, back in Rovaniemi and the road to Santa's place at the Arctic Circle.

SantaVillageRovaniemiFinland2013-6_zps70473440.jpg

SantaVillageRovaniemiFinland2013-4_zps16dbf543.jpg

At first glance I thought it was just a mere sign support, but the "A" shape does signify that you're at the Arctic Circle. A clever piece of design indeed.

SantaVillageRovaniemiFinland2013-2-3_zps273a5910.jpg

Santa Village in Rovaniemi really is a magical place, a real Winter Wonderland. You're at the Arctic Circle and the Official Home of Santa Claus.

SantaVillageRovaniemiFinland2013-1_zps6f1106e6.jpg

Did you know?. No, neither did I. Astonishing really.

SantaVillageRovaniemiFinland2013-2-4_zps6d316b61.jpg

This weeks post contains a video at the end, a very special video. The true story of how Santa came to be. A little on the PG side, nothing lewd or crude, just not for your 6 yr old who still believes in Santa Claus. To see the rest of the images and post and the "Santa Claus" video head on over to my blog HERE, but put the kids to bed first.

Murph

Emelie

Murph... you've done it again.

Love the pictures. Love the boardings you have put into the picture for that matter. Love the Winter Wonderland. ADORE seeing Santa on A bike, on your bike, as far as I know he usually keeps to sleds.. Love it. Absolutely love it.

The only thing that made my eyebrowes raise was the video of how Father Christmases came to be. But then I realized, oh yea, its a Finnish production. Not at all out of the ordinary feeling like "****** was that?" when they are in the making... Hope they are treating you well though! :)

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Emelie, thanks :)

This area of Lappland around Rovaniemi is an amazing, it's not difficult to get some spectacularly beautiful photos.
Santa on my outfit was neat, it was nice of him to come down for me to take a shot. The video was actually made as a Christmas gift for the production company's clients, they have now made it into a full length feature film. Neat, eh?.

Cheers,

Murph.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
"4 Years In....." Rovaniemi, Finland.

Day12010MR-17_zpsa4a37f09.jpg

I parked my bike by this old fishing trawler in Apalatchicola Florida in the Gulf of Mexico.
A passerby stopped to chat with me, mentioned he had a similar model of BMW motorcycle and then asked me if I wanted him to take my picture.
At the time I didn't give much thought to the significance of it, in fact I very nearly said "nahh, that's ok thanks", as I'm not that big on having my own picture taken, and usually when a big Nikon D3s is dropped into someones hands they look incredulously at me, have no idea how to use it and nearly drop it.
But, had he not offered to take the picture and had I not said "ok" I probably would not have such an important record of this day. I remember this day as clear as if it were yesterday.
The bike is still the same bike I started out with and I'm still the same person I started out as.
However, we both look and feel a little different today. We've both weathered quite a bit, altered our looks quite a lot and have adapted ourselves to our journey and travels together. We've both come a long way from where we both started out over 3 years ago, both physically and spiritually. Yes, even my bike has grown.
She is my home after all, and she's carried me for 3 years and 125,000 km with all my heavy camera, camping and living gear with no major issues or accidents so far. Thanks Babe.

BMWGSAdventureDuo-DriveFinland2013-2_zpse512f848.jpg

What started out as a "Get Out of Dodge" two or three month exploratory road trip to the Pacific North West of the US has me still on the road today and now in my 4th year and still "exploring".
I'm finding out that there's a lot of planet to explore than I initially thought. May not even have enough time in this lifetime to do it all.

Another 4th for me that I quietly celebrated on January 17th of this year was being 4 years sober, something that some of you may know about and some may not.
I don't try to hide the fact that I'm an alcoholic and on the wagon,
it's on my "View My Complete Profile" on the blog, but it's not something I make a fuss over and advertise either. Not drinking alcohol is just one of those things that I know I have to do in order to have peace of mind and a happy, healthy and emotionally well balanced life. If you can call life on the road in a sidecar "well balanced".

In all honesty I do. I feel more at peace and stable now with no official home, no job and no income than I did with a couple of houses and apt's and an income from the rents of said houses. I felt then like I had no control over my life, I was at the mercy of my alcoholism and all it's associated side effects like mood swings, sleepless nights and a general feeling of apathy. City, state and government regulations were strangling the life out of me and my business, and had me pinned down because I had a vast amount of monthly bills to pay to my local agencies. I was basically a prisoner in my own home town, an area that was dictated by where I paid the most bills.

I sometimes describe this trip as the moment I said ******kitall, the end result of my implosion over 4 years ago when I hit my rock bottom. Starting my 4th year on the road this year I wouldn't change a thing. I feel a freedom now that I heven't felt in a long time, no matter how much money I had and how many expensive vacations I took per year. Looking back to the last time I felt like this, it was probably back when I was 16 and heading off to Europe with a backpack on my back. That was the first of my freedom trips, a time in my life where I had no worries and no fear.

HillebergKeronGT3WherethehellismurphFinland2013-2_zpsb6cca89f.jpg

RovaniemiSnowmobileRideFinland2013-2-2_zpsbeddf2af.jpg

RovaniemiSnowmobileRideFinland2013-2_zps94062de0.jpg

There's a lot more left to this post, took me quite a while to write, two days worth actually. I went back and forth with just how much to put out there.

For the rest of the images and to read the rest of the post, click HERE

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears