WhereThehellisMurph, 3 Wheels, 7 Continents, 7 Years

Scott Brady

Founder
I loved that tunnel. I think it is 7 miles below the ocean surface.

NordkappTunnelNorwayJan2013-7485.jpg

Great work with all of the posts. Beautiful images.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
I loved that tunnel. I think it is 7 miles below the ocean surface.

Great work with all of the posts. Beautiful images.

Hey Scot, and thanks. I'm not really sure how deep it but if the 6870 M on the sign means the depth then it would be 4 1/4 miles deep, or maybe thats the length?. I dunno, but it is a cool tunnel with all those caves off to the side.

Armetti

Hey Murph, just wanted to throw a word, was next to you in traffic lights this morning in Rovaniemi, Finland. After quick googling I found this thread.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Hey Murph, just wanted to throw a word, was next to you in traffic lights this morning in Rovaniemi, Finland. After quick googling I found this thread.

Armetti, I think I saw you, you were taking a picture with your phone, right?. Thanks so much for commenting here, I'm staying at the Karu MC right around the corner from where I was stopped at the light. I'll be here for the next 1 or 2 weeks, I love Rovaniemi, great town.

Cheers,

Murph.

Armetti

Armetti, I think I saw you, you were taking a picture with your phone, right?. Thanks so much for commenting here, I'm staying at the Karu MC right around the corner from where I was stopped at the light. I'll be here for the next 1 or 2 weeks, I love Rovaniemi, great town.

Cheers,

Murph.

I actually saw some guy taking pictures of you, he was standing on the side of the road actually, but that wasn't me, I was on the car right next to you. But anyway, got interested and went away checking out your home page and such, nice trip you having, wish you the best!

WheresMurph

Adventurer
I actually saw some guy taking pictures of you, he was standing on the side of the road actually, but that wasn't me, I was on the car right next to you. But anyway, got interested and went away checking out your home page and such, nice trip you having, wish you the best!

Yes Armetti, I saw you in the car. Thanks again for the well wishes and finding me here.

Cheers,

Murph.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
NORDKAPP......"Top of the World".

RACDACLogoNordkappMR1-5.jpg

Well, without further ado, I finally reached one of my goals on the trip, Nordkapp, Norway.

The first time I ever heard the name Nordkapp being mentioned, the very sound of it conjured up images of a Shackleton-esque like expedition, scraggy men with beards, in big thick puffy Arctic subzero (sounds better than cold weather) anoraks with fur lined hoods, icicles hanging off the ends of their mustaches, sounds of a dog sled pack yelping, their howls and yips being carried across the icepack by a whipping wind that feels like a thousand needles hitting you in the face all at the same time.
Many people think that Shackleton was English, but in fact he was Irish, born in Kilkea in Co. Kildare, 55 miles away from my home town of Bray in Co. Wicklow.

NordkappSnowplough3NordkappNorwayJan2013-7350.jpg

Since Nordkapp is the "Top of the World" in a way, I got into a very reflective moment I guess and took a look down from the top at a lot of the things that happened that helped to get me to this point in my trip and my life. A penultimate moment in my travels, Nordkapp turned from fantasy into reality without me really planning it, it was more of a blind leap of faith, I honestly just pointed myself in the direction of Nordkapp, and momentum and help from some really great people carried me the rest of the way. I was hoping I would get there and reach the globe, but I honestly didn't think I would make it given the time of year I chose to travel. As it turned out, it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be, and certaitly nowhere near as tough as any of Tom Creans exploits.

NorthCapeClubDiplomaJan2013-7048.jpg

And as an added bonus I received membership into the Royal North Cape Club which I was very honored and pleased about.

For the rest of the post and some more pictures please click HERE

Murph.

Emelie

Heye Murph, saw your bike parked at the Karu MC in Rovaniemi Finland. Id like to welcome you! If you need any help here getting around Rovaniemi, I'll give you a tour, let me know. I work two doors down.
Regards
Emelie
PS, Love your blog, happy to see you on Expo.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Hi Emelie and thanks for looking me up here on the Portal. You're the second person in Finland to write to me here and I appreciate that.
I'm staying at the Karu MC while I'm here in Rovaniemi and would be glad of some local help thanks. There's only one business two doors down so I'll stick my head in next week.

Murph.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Nordkapp and Points South.......

ScreenShot2013-02-04at95807PM_zps0be31081.png

NordvgenFjordNorwayJan2013-7460_zps76f87aff.jpg

Honningsvåg, Norway. Jan 2013.

"I should be there in no time, just follow the squiggly blue line", I mumbled.
Only 730 km, easy.
Under normal conditions.

In any season other than Winter it would be.
And without hundreds of twists, turns and mountain passes.
Oh, and without riding on an Ice Hockey rink all the way down to Alta.
AND without being a photographer too.

NordkappWTHIMDecalNordkappJan2013-7547_zpsbc28afac.jpg

NordkappTunnelJan2013-7490_zpsc5a13d55.jpg

The Nordkapp Tunnel, Jan 2013.

NordkappTunnelJan2013-502_zpsc3d289b6.jpg

These images and the story of my trip down to Lapland and Rovaniemi are the latest postHERE on the blog. Hope you all enjoy.......

Murph.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Hi Murph:

I have been seeing your thread title here on ExPo for a couple years now and, for whatever reason, I never opened it (sorry:eek:). I finally opened it tonight and read the entire thread and some of your blog.

I can't believe it took me this long to read your story. Your photography is stunning and your storytelling is awesome. Good luck with the rest of your journey, thank you for doing such a great job documenting it for the rest of us!:bowdown:

Jason

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Hi Murph:

I have been seeing your thread title here on ExPo for a couple years now and, for whatever reason, I never opened it (sorry:eek:). I finally opened it tonight and read the entire thread and some of your blog.

I can't believe it took me this long to read your story. Your photography is stunning and your storytelling is awesome. Good luck with the rest of your journey, thank you for doing such a great job documenting it for the rest of us!:bowdown:

Jason

Hi Jason and thanks so much for the high praise. really very nice of you.

Hopefully the luck and money will last me and allow me to keep on going for the foreseeable future. My sidecar outfit is now my home as I lost everything a few years back when I filed bankruptcy, so since I have no home to go back to anywhere, I kinda have to keep going :)

I was up in your neck of the woods a few years back and wanted to stop by to give the Oilers a talking to, see if they were going to start playing any Hockey for the season.

Thanks again Jason,

Murph.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
"LAPPLAND, SUOMI".

NorwaySnowfieldNorwayJan2013-3-2_zpsb15011e2.jpg

Click HERE to go to the exact spot where this shot was taken.

Norway, leaving the best for last.

Of course it did, wouldn't you know it.
I got some of the best and most spectacular shots of the Norwegian landscape as I was leaving Norway, go figure. Something to do with the light, or rather lack thereof up north in Norway at this time of year, but heading down south toward the Finland border the sun became visible for the first time in nearly two months for me. Goodness gracious, a great ball of fire.
It didn't do anything in terms of warming me up. It was still -15 out and the windchill brought that down even lower, but it sure was nice to see. Everything had a warm glow to it like liquid honey. I was told that there's nothing much down here, and there isn't. Unless you're a nature lover like me and also happen to be a photographer as well. Then, in all honesty, you're in a photographers paradise is how I would best describe it. Provided you like winter of course.

NorwaySnowfieldNorwayJan2013-8_zpsd42b5cd4.jpg

NorwaySnowfieldNorwayJan2013-5_zps853945b8.jpg

I've only ever seen photographs or postcards of these snow covered, gently curving tree branches and bushes in snowfields like this in southern Norway and northern Finland, otherwise know as Lappland. I was limited to my imagination and to other photographers images of these snow covered deserts, a landscape that looked to me to be out of this world. Crisp, white, snow crystals shimmering in the sunlight. The magical landscape of Lappland, conjuring up images of Santa Claus and reindeers, a land full of wonder and enchantment.
A Winter Wonderland.
And now, here I was, right in the middle of it.
Nature. There are times when it takes my breath away and leaves me speechless. Pinch me.

NorwaySnowfieldNorwayJan2013-0001_zpsbbb74bda.jpg

NorwaySnowfieldNorwayJan2013-3_zpsc88e197a.jpg

I have always loved and been romantically enchanted by snow and snow covered landscapes. Growing up in Dublin Ireland in the 60's and 70's we had a white Christmas every three or four years, and I vividly remember it was the highlight of my life back then. It completely transformed the inner child in me and made living in dull, overcast and dismal Ireland feel like a really wonderful place to be. For a few weeks anyway. One year we even got so much snow I made my first snowman.
Snow and it's magical qualities was one of my escapes back then, so when I left Ireland for my first big backpacking adventure in December of 1977 at 16 yrs old, where did I go?. Zermatt, Switzerland of course, another one of my favorite winter places on this planet.

And here I am now, in Lappland, and not surprisingly feeling right at home.

Some more wonderful images from Lappland and the rest of this post can be seen HERE on the blog.
Take a moment, have a read, leave a comment if you're so inclined.

Murph.​

Scott Brady

Founder
Murph,

Glad you are doing well and that the sidecar is holding-up. Your images are really exceptional and they certainly convey just how cold it must really be. Are there a few pieces of gear that have helped you survive the temps being on a bike?

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Murph,

Glad you are doing well and that the sidecar is holding-up. Your images are really exceptional and they certainly convey just how cold it must really be. Are there a few pieces of gear that have helped you survive the temps being on a bike?

Hey Scott.
I only have a Gerbings heated jacket along with the heated grips, the heated grips are more important than the jacket IMO, for me anyway. Stopping and starting taking pics my hands freeze quickly and get real painful after a few minutes.
I just layer up real good tho, and if it's really cold, like -30, I stop every hour or so and get a hot drink to warm up my core. If I stay inside a gas station and warm up and go out to the bike already warm, it lasts me for a good while down the road. My MSR stove is another invaluable tool, in my tent at night it provides warmth and also doubles to heat up the engine in the morning for cold starts below -20.
This trip has brought out the weak spots in the gear I have, I need to get a complete new winter gear set as the stuff I have wasn't made for these extreme temperatures.
Time to get a winter gear sponsor I think. Even as cold as it is, I've never felt more at home as I do in this part of the world.

Hope this answers your query Scott, any other questions you have let me know.

Good to hear from you and thanks for your compliments on my photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998