WhereThehellisMurph, 3 Wheels, 7 Continents, 7 Years

WheresMurph

Adventurer
wow! so freaken cool!

Hi Cody, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Vancouver Island eluded me on my trip there in August of 2010, I spent most of my time in the Nakusp area. Great little town, beautiful scenery around the Box lake area, also famous for BCBud I found out afterwards :p

Cheers,

Murph.

Emelie

Hey Murph, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. It makes it very interesting to see who the person behind a/this trip is. Congratulations on your 4 year sober as well, great achievement. I'm rooting for you from afar.

And as always, love the pics and your story telling. Take care tough guy!

Cody1771

Explorer
Hi Cody, thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Vancouver Island eluded me on my trip there in August of 2010, I spent most of my time in the Nakusp area. Great little town, beautiful scenery around the Box lake area, also famous for BCBud I found out afterwards :p

Cheers,

Murph.

next time you make it out here we'll go for a ride!

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Hey Murph, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. It makes it very interesting to see who the person behind a/this trip is. Congratulations on your 4 year sober as well, great achievement. I'm rooting for you from afar.

And as always, love the pics and your story telling. Take care tough guy!

Hi Emilie, I don't post too many shots of myself, this was just a comparison from Day 1 to know, over 3 yrs later.

Thanks for your kudos on my sobriety, appreciate the kind words.

Cheers from Finland,

Murph.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Rovaniemi, Finland...........No, the OTHER Left !!.

BMWGSAdventureSnowploughBorder1-1_zpsd63b0716.jpg

Biggest Bull Moose I have ever seen. Enormous. Must of been AT LEAST 1200lbs minimum as it walked right out in front of me. Just stood there, snorted, steam rising from it's massive flared nostrils, and stared right at me. I could see him tense up, like he was getting ready for a charge.
I started to get nervous. He lowered his head, his eyes locked on me.

Ok, ok, so it wasn't a Bull Moose, just a case of operator error. But the Bull Moose story sounded more dramatic and explorer like.

The official version is that the sidecar tire caught in a snowbank, and as I rolled on the power to try to recover and ride out of it, the 2 Wheel Drive pulled me into the bank more and more and ended up burying me nose first in the ditch. Luckily, snow is soft.
And luckily Hekki was ahead of me, so when I didn't show up after a few minutes he doubled back and I had my tow strap already tied to the back of the outfit and ready to be hooked on to his trailer hitch.

BMWGSAdventureStuckinSnowbankFinland2013-2_zpscab7cd34.jpg

So the irony here is that I got a sidecar because it was much more stable on the road in winter conditions than a motorcycle. Really?.
Which road would that be then?.

I was on my way to the Reindeer Races at the Mäntyvaara Racetrack with tickets that I received courtesy of Nina at the Rovaniemi Tourist Office when I had my "little mishap", my slight but abrupt change of direction.
Never having been to a Reindeer race before let alone know that they even held Reindeer races, I was a little intrigued. And now that I have 3 Reindeer skins as part of my winter insulation kit, I figured I'd like to get up close and personal with the animal whose hide is the best and warmest skin I've come across and used so far.
One of the reindeer skins I use for the sidecar as a seat cover, and the second I use as ground insulation under my sleeping bag when I camp.

BMWGSAdvReindeerSkinLegProtectors-3_zps5cc05a4f.jpg

BMWGSAdvReindeerSkinLegProtectors-1_zps13137047.jpg

BMWGSAdvReindeerSkinLegProtectors-2_zpsed61bd7f.jpg

RovaniemiReindeerRacesFinland2013-4_zps6ea4db65.jpg

Reindeer skin has remarkable heat and insulation qualities thanks to the hollow hair follicle of the animal. Reindeer hair is hollow, like a tube, so the air becomes trapped inside and becomes warm when close to the body. Air is also trapped by the long thick fur and is doubly insulated. I used to use a Thermarest air mattress under my sleeping bag for ground insulation and for a while there, it did it's duty and performed quite well. That is until I crossed over into the Arctic Circle region and started to experience on a daily, and nightly basis what it's like to live, and camp in -20° and below all Winter long.
The Thermarest is now for sale if anyone's interested. Cheap.

Reindeer skins have been and are used by indigenous cultures like the Sami culture in Lappland, Finnmark in Norway and the Evenk culture in Siberia, Russia for a long time now, for food and clothing.
Reindeer skins are a byproduct of reindeer meat production. In Lapland, as well as with other reindeer herding cultures, the resourceful Sami people use every part of the reindeer for food, clothing and decoration. Reindeer remains an important part of their culture and existence. My cache of reindeer skin products seems to be growing the longer I spend up here in the Arctic region. And as a meat, reindeer is delicious.​

RovaniemiReindeerRacesFinland2013-3_zps2a612160.jpg

RovaniemiReindeerRacesFinland2013-5_zpsfbbef6cd.jpg

The rest of this weeks post along with many more images areHERE.

Thank you all for reading and following along.

Murph.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
AURORA BOREALIS.........Finland.

BMWGSAdventureAuroraBorealisFinland2013-1_zps7d527e24.jpg

It only took me three and a half months to finally get up close and personal with my very own display of the oft elusive but absolutely stunning and trippy aurora borealis, or northern lights. People come from all over the world just to catch a glimpse of this natural phenomenon. Some succeed, some don't. And as I have found out over the course of that three and half months, just because you are IN the aurora borealis belt, the region where the magnetic disturbance displays are most likely to occur, doesn't always mean that they WILL occur.
It's southern counterpart, the aurora australis or southern lights has almost identical features to the aurora borealis and is visible from high southern latitudes in Antarctica, South America, New Zealand and Australia.
There are many more images of the Aurora over on the blog.

BMWGSAdventureMotorTrendFinland2013-1_zps357346eb.jpg

Meanwhile, the other big news for me is that MotorTrend flew a film crew over here to Finland from the U.S. to shoot a Pt II to the first video they made about me back in April of last year, which I am very excited about. This little trip of mine that started 3 years ago on a whim and a shoestring seems to be gaining some momentum.

There's much more to read and many more images HERE on the blog.

Murph​

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I love your new Warn winch, it's very, very neat!

Would you not benefit from a collapsible tent stove like those made by Ti-Goat or Kifaru?

They burn charcoal as well as wood and would make your camp life significantly better and you'd be able to dry out clothes and riding gear too.

Being able to cook, make a hot brew and enjoy a warm tent wouldn't hurt either.

Just a thought!

WheresMurph

Adventurer
I love your new Warn winch, it's very, very neat!

Would you not benefit from a collapsible tent stove like those made by Ti-Goat or Kifaru?

They burn charcoal as well as wood and would make your camp life significantly better and you'd be able to dry out clothes and riding gear too.

Being able to cook, make a hot brew and enjoy a warm tent wouldn't hurt either.

Just a thought!

Aero, I had been looking at a stove, but both of those brands are a bit too expensive for me. When I go to Russia and Sibera at the end of this year or early next year, I know they have bike stoves there, they're the masters of stuff like that.

And I already have 2 MSR stoves to cook with and for heating, one of them, the MSR XKG, I use for putting under the engine to warm it up when it drops down below -25°, warms up the oil before I start and do damage.

Thanks for your suggestions Aero, I appreciate them.

very nice. prayers with the first owners of the skins :)

Now that's hilarious !!!! :)

WheresMurph

Adventurer
ROVANIEMI, FINLAND, Pt IV.

WARNXT17Wherethehellismurphcom-3_zpsd6443e7b.jpg
One company back in the United States who have been a tremendous help to me since I contacted them last October is WARN.
Andy Lilienthal, WARN Industries Online Marketing Manager has really taken care of me when it comes to aftermarket service of WARN's products.

When I lived back in the U.S. I already had two sets of WARN lights that were operating on my 1976 FJ40 Toyota Landcruiser, and I transferred one set of them, the WARN SDB-160's, onto my bike when it was just a solo motorcycle before the start of my trip in Dec 2009.

When building the sidecar at LBS Sidecars I used the WARN SDB-210's for the front of the sidecar so now I had 2 sets of WARN lights. Well, the switches, after a number of years on the road, weren't made for being outside on a motorcycle so with all the rain and the corrosion that happened inside they quit working. Both of them.
So I emailed Ray Hyland of Overland Journal about who I should contact and he forwarded me Andy Lilienthal's contact info. I contacted Andy last October when I was in Sweden asking for his help and a few weeks later he had shipped me over a new pair of switches and wiring harnesses.

I needed some other items, a few extra relays, a pair of light covers, a few extra bulbs. I contacted Andy and again he shipped those items over to me in Norway where I was at that time.

MotorTrendVideoShootRovaniemiFinland2013-3_zps074ce2e5.jpg

SinettaSnowscapeSinettaFinlandMar2013-4_zps20457203.jpg

SnowploughonLumberjacksCandleBridgeRovaniemiFinlandMar2013-4_zps6eb50aa9.jpg

RovaniemiLocomoticeYardRovaniemiFinlandMar2013-5_zpsf331d45d.jpg

These and many more images on this weeks post HERE on the blog.

Murph.​

WheresMurph

Adventurer
ROVANIEMI, FINLAND, Pt V.

BMWGSAdventureIceRoadFinland-5_zpsa199533d.jpg

Ice Road on the Kemijoki River, Rovaniemi, Finland.​

IceRoadFinland-2_zps49095b17.jpg

I had only been in Rovaniemi about a week.
While out and about one day and feeling a little hungry I began to look for a place to get a bite to eat. So riding around I came across a restaurant at the side of a supermarket.
That'll do.
Off comes the helmet and gloves, and as I'm packing them away in the trunk a car pulls up behind me, a man gets out and I hear " Hello Mr. Murphy".
"Wha?". Who in the hell knows me all the way up here in Northern Finland for chrissakes?.
Timo Happonen, that's who. A member of KARU MC, and he had heard about me through the president of the club, Heikki. He had already been by the club to see if I was there, and finding out I wasn't, promptly turned around to head back home, saw me and the outfit on the road, did a U-ey and followed me until I stopped. If this was Russia I would probably be freaking out and sweating profusely by now, even in -20°.
Can you say Gulag?.
I had noticed a car following me, but didn't give it much attention.
Turns out Timo had been looking for me to bring me by his house and show me some of his collection of old iron. Timo has some nice collections of old stuff, guns, bikes etc, and doesn't really work on newer bikes younger than 1952.
And one of his many pieces was a real beaut, a 1935 Harley-Davidson model VFD with Sidecar. 1 of only 5 produced.

1934Harley-DavidsonVFDIceRoadFinland-4_zps6435a7d5.jpg

So there's an Ice Road here in Rovaniemi, a small one going across the Kemijoki, maybe 1/4 of a mile across, but an Ice Road nonetheless.
In winter once the river starts to freeze they water it and make the ice a couple of meters thick so large trucks can drive across it without fear of crashing through it. It was a short ride from Timo's house, but we took the long way and the day turned out to be pretty nice with some sunshine thrown into the mix.
A good day for photographing a really nice old Harley outfit.

SnowploughIceRoadFinland-3_zps406f6542.jpg

1934HarleyDavidsonVFDFinland-1_zps8ac1d661.jpg

In chatting with Timo about the history of his bike and how it came t be up here in Northern Finland, he gave me some old photos from the 30's when Harley Davidson's
were very popular with loggers.

1934HarleyDavidsonVFDWinterSpecsFinland-9_zps37551ca6.jpg

1934HarleyDavidsonVFDFinland-8_zpsb64a0b90.jpg

LauriKukkaFinland-6_zpsaad02637.jpg

Lauri Kukka. 1900-2005.​

The rest of this post with many more images can be seen HERE on the blog.

Thanks for reading so far,

Murph.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
Hey thanks, appreciate it.

Timo, the owner, has an even nicer H-D that he painstakingly restored, a 1924, having to make most of the parts himself. I'll be detailing it in next Sundays post, stay tuned.

WheresMurph

Adventurer
ROVANIEMI, FINLAND, Pt VI.

"SPRING has Sprung".....

BMWGSAdventurePropaneTorchEngineHeaterMarch2013Bdr-2_zps08cef449.jpg

...here in Rovaniemi, which for me means that this is probably the last time I'll have to light a fire under the engine of the bike to warm it up from -33°C and wait for half an hour before I try to start it.

But in all honesty I'm going to miss winter.

BMWGSAdventureSinettaSnowMrch2013Bdr-1_zpsee4f661c.jpg

Winter just does it for me.

There are so many reasons why it does, from the the thick white blanket of snow that covers everything to the muffled stillness you feel when you're camped out in the middle of nowhere. The air is pure, fresh, clean and sharp.
There is a sense of serenity as the snow absorbs all the usual sounds of nature, an almost eerie silence. It's akin to sitting in a sound proof room in a recording studio.
Colors are much more intense and brighter in contrast to the soft and smooth covering of snow that seems to stretch on as far as your eye can see.
It's also a challenging season. It's cold, very cold at times. My fingers and toes get numb quite often, especially my fingers as I photograph, but it's such a good feeling as I stuff them into my pockets and they start to warm up again. Or I sometimes start the bike and before the cylinder heads get too hot, lay them across them.
I've always loved winter from way back when I was a kid. And especially since we didn't get those snowy winters in Ireland too often, only every 4 years or so, I guess it made me love it more when it did come. So maybe my love of winter is my way or reliving my childhood?. If I had a therapist I'm sure they could enlighten me about that.

Everything becomes more difficult in the cold, and much more difficult living on a motorcycle in the cold in winter. However, due to the fact that it's a challenging season, it also lends itself to being a very physical season for ones lifestyle.
You can't be too sedentary in winter. You need to keep moving in the cold, otherwise you'll just end up freezing to death. Ergo, winter is a season of heightened activity for most people, whether you like it or not. I like this aspect of my winter travels, that it forces me to move, or rather doesn't allow me to be lazy. And I know myself by now. If I can take it easy, I will.

AmericanAstronautDonPettitArtikumRovaniemiFinlandMarch2013-3_zpsb1645a0b.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Rovaniemi I got my U.S.A. fix fixed the other day, a double header actually. The Artikum Museum and Arctic Science Centre here in Rovaniemi were having a lecture and photo presentation by Dr. Don Pettit, an American Astronaut and a really great photographer. On the ISS no less. Who, as far as I'm concerned, has the worlds most enviable photographers position.
Dr. Don has no less than 10 Nikon DSLR's on the ISS and the most spectacular views of planet earth to shoot with them.

ArtikumMuseumandScienceCenterRovaniemiFinland2013-5_zpsa2a58f06.jpg

Attending the Don Pettit lecture on Space Photography was my second visit to the Artikum Museum.
My first visit was a little over a month ago. Heikki, the president of Karu MC bought me a gift of a museum ticket to get a little history of the Lappish culture and see some of the exhibits there. Kiitos Heikki.
Being a photographer with a valid Press Pass I was able to secure an Artikum Media pass which allowed me to roam freely through all the exhibits and photograph them without restrictions. Some of the exhibits, like the Sámi peoples exhibit, were not allowed to be photographed.

ArtikumMuseumandScienceCenterRovaniemiFinland2013-2_zps48496f40.jpg

ArtikumMuseumandScienceCenterSamiExhibitRovaniemiFinland2013-8_zps1e609ece.jpg

ArtikumMuseumandScienceCenterRovaniemiFinland2013-7_zps986f7888.jpg

ArtikumMuseumandScienceCenterSamiExhibitRovaniemiFinland2013-9_zps21ce8142.jpg

SamiBoyCirca1925Lappland-4_zps64030193.jpg

This fantastic photo of a young Sámi boy is circa 1925. Photographer unknown.

There's much more of this post HERE over on my blog.

Happy Easter everyone,

Murph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan