Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
We are planning on putting a topper on this truck. We have one coming from ARE toppers in the next few weeks. Lots of additions to come on this truck!

VATACO

Adventurer
I'd love to see a Kaymar rear bumper setup with a swing away tire carrier and a bin for a 55qt Yeti cooler.

badtoytrd

Mountain Lover
FINALLY!!!! Some real pictures of the Kaymar. I have been wanting to see some in depth pics since the Overland Journal gear issue. Still a bit curious of want the price is going to be for one of these. Great write up and THANK YOU!

hbmurphy

When I see new gears going into an elocked taco, I do like many, think you "should be like me"

- Okay kinda kidding.

But really, I have gone through 4-5 ring and pinions (set up by a top notch guy with Nittro gears - wear patterns indicated proper set up). The weight of these trucks are brutal on a setup designed for a much lighter truck.

You may want to do an e-locker delete mod where you put in an 8.4 (current non- elocker) and outfit it with an ARB. The iron truss on the 8.4 will keep the backlash far more consistent under load. There are many Taco owners that have suffered multiple ring or pinion failures. The nice thing is that there are many people that think the e-locker is worth its weight in gold - you may want to find one of those guys and trade them their 8.4 housing and third member (and get some of the cash they love to part with) before you suffer the same... but then again, you may be one of the very lucky ones that don't suffer from the dreaded clunk of missing teeth. The other real plus is that you will not be stuck on a tight spot where the elocker won't disengage.

Regarding tire rubbing, these tires need clearancing. If you don't mind a good rub, you may get away with not cutting the cab mount but if you want to not worry about it you will do a 'cab mount chop' and get out a knife and or cut off wheel and make the wheel openings a bit larger in the radius from the rear part of the front wheel well. Then you will more than likely use a BFH to neatly bend over the pinch weld. One last thing, when you rip off one of the poorly designed flares, do yourself a favor and forget about the orange and blue clips and the silly *** paper thin connection points and use a tube of GE Black Silicone to put them back on. Just clean, scuff and glue em on. Any excess can be easily removed. Once you do that, you will never have another fender flare rip off.

Regarding the flaps - either remove them or cut them down. If you wheel at all, you will be ripping them off on a regular basis.

Good luck with your future ventures! :)

enzo

Explorer
FINALLY!!!! Some real pictures of the Kaymar. I have been wanting to see some in depth pics since the Overland Journal gear issue. Still a bit curious of want the price is going to be for one of these. Great write up and THANK YOU!

Those bumpers are amazing but once I found out what the price could be (I was told around the price of their FJ bumpers I almost had a heart attack. I'm loving the build so far guys, can't wait to see some new videos.

Ramjet

Explorer
I'm going to have to agree with you Enzo, those bumpers are killer. I do wish I had the cash to go ahead and get one. But it's absolutely the last thing on my list of mods to do.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Glad you guys are liking the build. We have a Icon vehicle Dynamics Suspension coming in next and our ARB bumper with the WARN 9.5 XP winch. Stay tuned we will be updating that stuff this week.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We did a great deal of looking around when it came to this install and there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. First off this snorkel is designed for the R.O.W. Hilux. NOT THE TACOMA. ARB has not made one for this generation Tacoma so a Hilux snorkel that you modify to fit is your only option in way of the Safari Snorkel brand. We turned to CruiserOutfitters.com to supply us with the Hilux snorkel. With the help of Taco Docs instructions and the template that he helped develop for Cruiser-outfitters (which is found on cruiseroutfitters.com site) the install was much less involved. Until we decided to do it differently.
Cruiser outfitters site for snorkels and templates.
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/safarisnorkel.html...

Well done guys!

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I'm curious about the electronics and the camera gear/storage.
Can't wait for that post!!!
Working on loading out my '10 for some similar use.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Kevin, you just wait. We have an awesome setup in the works with our Truck topper coming in. We are very excited about the setup. should be here next week.
I'm curious about the electronics and the camera gear/storage.
Can't wait for that post!!!
Working on loading out my '10 for some similar use.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I started watching your series on youtube and ended up watching the whole season in one sitting, i was so bummed when it was over! Cant wait to see the next season, and the Tacoma is coming along great. I also want to commend you guys on the professional, high quality cinematography, while also "keeping it real" and not trying to be fake actors. Your style makes it so much fun to watch because viewers can relate to going out with their buddies and having a good 'ole time, just like you appear to be having. Keep it up, cant wait to see the finished Tacoma and the next season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger