Quick review. MorRyde JK tailgate hinges

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Not really, just know it can handle a big dude jumping on the spare tire and not budge.

You mean the 225-lb. gorilla test that was performed with a pre-production tailgate reinforcement + HD/large spare carrier installed?

225lbGorillaTest_zps03lisoqq.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
That is exactly the gorilla I was talking about. ha ha You are a giant compared to me, well in height. ha ha. I got 5 or 6 lbs on ya ha ha.

BCobe

Adventurer
Not going to lie. Seeing the new post of the tire carrier has me a little excited to see how much the whole setup will cost.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any idea what the tire carrier will look like?

Not going to lie. Seeing the new post of the tire carrier has me a little excited to see how much the whole setup will cost.

The complete setup is designed to be very affordable, that's one of the key design requirements. Here are the others:

Design requirements for the tailgate reinforcement:

• Support for up to 40" spares
  • No flexing in the reinforcement and prevent any heavy spare stress from reaching the tailgate.
  • Install without drilling
  • Work with either the factory spare carrier or the HD/large spare carrier
  • Work with the HD tailgate hinges, and all of the hinge-mounted accessory carriers such as the HiLift carrier and the Rotopax carrier and others
  • Maintain factory appearance as much as possible - it shouldn't look like either a huge chunk of metal or a hardware store hanging off the back of the Jeep

Design requirements for the HD/large spare carrier

• Support up to 40" spares
  • Install without drilling
  • Multiple mounting positions - position 1 for up to 37" spares, position 2 for up to 40"
  • Install with the tailgate reinforcement, or install to a stock tailgate
  • Adjustable third brake stalk which accepts factory brake light. Use of the stalk should be optional if the user has a different plan for mounting a third brake light, for example if he wants to mount one in the center of the spare.

The tailgate reinforcement supports both sides of the HD/large spare carrier (some on the market only support the passenger side). It doesn't flex and it ties into the HD hinges and therefore the tub, thereby carrying all of the weight of the spare without causing stress to the tailgate.

The tailgate reinforcement, HD/large spare carrier and HD hinges are all installed in these photos. Very little of the reinforcement is visible.

Gatezilla_zpssztsprkl.jpg

This next photo shows the hinges and the reinforcement installed with the factory spare carrier:

GatezillaStockCarrier3_zpsmpdfquo7.jpg

In this photo the hinges, reinforcement and large spare carrier are all installed. It's installed in the high position (up to 40" tires), if you look closely you can see some of the screw holes that would be used to install it in the lower position (up to 37" tires). The 4 bolts on the side of the third brake light stalk provide for adjustment of the height of the brake light. Also in this photo you can see a grommet in the reinforcement on the left side of the spare carrier, this is the factory grommet which has been removed from that location in the tailgate - there are pass-through holes in the reinforcement so the hole in the tailgate can still be used for things like CB antenna wires. Also there is a hole in the center of the spare carrier where the tire mounts, this can be used to pass wiring through if you would prefer to mount a third brake light in the center of the spare vs. over the top of the spare.

Gatezilla2_zpsfnxhlfwx.jpg

Thanks, I missed that when I was looking. These seem much more affordable than the Teraflex and the clunk on my wife's 2015 JK with 33's when going over certain bumps is starting to drive me up the wall so time to fix that.

MTSN

Explorer
Thanks, I missed that when I was looking. These seem much more affordable than the Teraflex and the clunk on my wife's 2015 JK with 33's when going over certain bumps is starting to drive me up the wall so time to fix that.

No problem. I have the Teraflex setup, and while I like it a lot this option seems to do a great job for considerably less. I personally don't think it looks quite as polished, but if you're saving several hundred it might be worth the tradeoff. It's certainly worth fixing either way to avoid further damage and irritation IMO, and I'm shocked how many people I see running around here with 35"+ tires on the factory setup!

I got the hinges for my wife's JK in the mail today, now I just need to first get a grease gun so I can grease them and then be bothered to take off the spare as I can't imagine you can just leave a 33" spare on an 18" rim on the tailgate while you swap out a hinge and getting that thing off and especially back on again is a royal PITA for just one person.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got the hinges for my wife's JK in the mail today, now I just need to first get a grease gun so I can grease them and then be bothered to take off the spare as I can't imagine you can just leave a 33" spare on an 18" rim on the tailgate while you swap out a hinge and getting that thing off and especially back on again is a royal PITA for just one person.

If you don't have a grease gun, for your first time install you can remove the hinge pin bolts and grease them manually. Once they're installed on the Jeep, it'll be much easier to have a grease gun, but before they're installed you can just remove the hinge pin. And yes, you want to remove the spare before removing the old hinges and installing the new ones.

If you don't have a grease gun, for your first time install you can remove the hinge pin bolts and grease them manually. Once they're installed on the Jeep, it'll be much easier to have a grease gun, but before they're installed you can just remove the hinge pin. And yes, you want to remove the spare before removing the old hinges and installing the new ones.

Thanks, a grease gun is on my list anyway as I definitely need it for my XJ so I'll pick one up when I get the paint for my XJ's diff covers.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy from Sweden

The manual states "Replace with new hinge and hardware provided – use small amount of anti-seize
on bolts when installing them to allow for easy installation."

Anti-seize I can not really translate it to Swedish, what compund is that, can somebody describe it, is it greace, copper paste or aluminium paste.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Howdy from Sweden

The manual states "Replace with new hinge and hardware provided – use small amount of anti-seize
on bolts when installing them to allow for easy installation."

Anti-seize I can not really translate it to Swedish, what compund is that, can somebody describe it, is it greace, copper pase or aluminium paste

There should be a very small tube of grease in the package - it's a special kind of grease to prevent the stainless steel fasteners from "galling" which is another work you probably can't translate... stainless fasteners, if tightened too much, can get jammed in the bolt hole and sometimes become unremovable. The anti-seize grease prevents that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78