Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

Healeyjet

Explorer
Here is a photo from the back from this morning. The air is out of the bags in this photo so it looks like it will ride quite low but once the air is running it should work as planned. Should!
Wheels and tires should be in Alberta early next week. Then hopefully we can mock up the back end to make sure the cut-out is large enough.

HMT

How much $$$ does the pass through add to a build like this? (Excluding initial truck purchase)

I know there are a million and one variables ... but ... is it a 10% increase? 30%? Just trying to get an order of magnitude.

S2DM

Adventurer
How much $$$ does the pass through add to a build like this? (Excluding initial truck purchase)

I know there are a million and one variables ... but ... is it a 10% increase? 30%? Just trying to get an order of magnitude.

I can't speak for Wards build, but having been involved in engineering discussions for several pass throughs, I can say that the cost is directly related to amount of frame flex. I.E. Pass through for a fuso or Mog being much more complicated than a pass through on a super duty etc. On mogs, you have to allow for 20" of movement.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Agreed on the tires. I believe they are a good choice as well.

To answer a couple questions posted earlier.

HNT asked what the cost was of the walkthrough / passthrough. It is around a $3500 option (Canadian funds of course)

Ozrockrat and Joaquin asked about fitting of large tires. The wheel wells in the camper are designed around a 43" tire. 25" radius and 8" in addition to that. I am reassured that we should be good.

Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
Guido, they are aluminum Hutchinson's. I would agree that they look the same as the MRAP wheels and the new Oshkosh L-ATV. I cannot be certain though but they do look very similar.
Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
The wheels are all the same. There are different spacers for the front and rear. The spare wheel/tire will be without a spacer.

It is tough to get the off-sets the same or reasonably the same yet still maintain a reasonably narrow front end. We will see once we mount the wheels onto the truck exactly how we did. Until then I toss and turn a fair bit at night!

Ward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle