How can I make a higher cot?

Nanabijou

Observer
Take a look at these two cots:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Helinox/helinoxcotone

http://www.backcountry.com/helinox-...hcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6aGVsaW5veDoxOjE1OmhlbGlub3g=

What can I add to the Cot One to make it higher?

Goals: something light weight, not too bulky, sturdy, and simple.

Got any creative ideas?

PlacidWaters - it's funny to read this posting as I've been mulling over the same thing for a while. I was even wondering if I could drill holes through the rails in my Helinox Cot One and use the legs from one of my 28" Roll-A-Cots (though the Roll-A-Cot legs would still be heavy, and not very portable). So a Franken-cot combination of Helinox and Roll-A-Cot was the idea. Something as small, portable, and lightweight as the Helinox, but as high off the ground as the Roll-A-Cot with only four legs touching the ground. One other concern would be the middle joint on the Helinox. Normally, one set of legs are clamped on at that joint. Without the clamps there - I'm not sure how strong that section might be.

My ideal cot would be 30" wide, about 15" above the ground, use only two legs on either end (with wide feet to protect the tent floor), and be small enough to pack in a GIVI case (about 22" long).

Helinox's high cot seems to almost fit the bill (although it has too many legs IMHO) - but it isn't available in a wide version. And their wide cot version is not high enough off the ground. So if they offered a wide (30") version of the high cot - I suppose I'd have to give that one a try.

Mike

Last edited:

six sons

Observer
Perhaps bed risers. Plastic, stackable and light..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 304

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
PlacidWaters - it's funny to read this posting as I've been mulling over the same thing for a while. I was even wondering if I could drill holes through the rails in my Helinox Cot One and use the legs from one of my 28" Roll-A-Cots (though the Roll-A-Cot legs would still be heavy, and not very portable). So a Franken-cot combination of Helinox and Roll-A-Cot was the idea. Something as small, portable, and lightweight as the Helinox, but as high off the ground as the Roll-A-Cot with only four legs touching the ground. One other concern would be the middle joint on the Helinox. Normally, one set of legs are clamped on at that joint. Without the clamps there - I'm not sure how strong that section might be.

My ideal cot would be 30" wide, about 15" above the ground, use only two legs on either end (with wide feet to protect the tent floor), and be small enough to pack in a GIVI case (about 22" long).

Helinox's high cot seems to almost fit the bill (although it has too many legs IMHO) - but it isn't available in a wide version. And their wide cot version is not high enough off the ground. So if they offered a wide (30") version of the high cot - I suppose I'd have to give that one a try.

Mike

You must be reading my mind! I have both the Roll-a-Cot Wide and the Helinox Cot One. Love the comfort of the Roll-a-Cot but I'm tired of putting it together and taking it apart, plus it's a bit heavy and bulky. Love the fast assembly of the Helinox Cot One, but it's too low.

I totally agree with you about the ideal cot. The top-of-the-line Heliniox cot is incompatible with the top-of-the line Exped mattresses because the cot is too narrow. 30" or 32" wide x 15" high would be perfect.

AML

Adventurer
The top-of-the-line Heliniox cot is incompatible with the top-of-the line Exped mattresses because the cot is too narrow. 30" or 32" wide x 15" high would be perfect.

Not true at all.

This is exactly how mine is set up. True the mattress is wider but it is stable enough that is rests just fine on top. I initially used straps to secure the mattress on the cot but found they were not necessary at all. The mattress stays pretty well put on top of the cot.

Nanabijou

Observer
Not true at all.

This is exactly how mine is set up. True the mattress is wider but it is stable enough that is rests just fine on top. I initially used straps to secure the mattress on the cot but found they were not necessary at all. The mattress stays pretty well put on top of the cot.

From what I understand, the 30" wide Exped mattress (e.g., Synmat 12) that Placidwaters likes to use will then hang about 1.5 inches over both sides of the 27" wide Helinox high cot. So the Exped will rest on top of the side rails of the Helinox high cot.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
From what I understand, the 30" wide Exped mattress (e.g., Synmat 12) that Placidwaters likes to use will then hang about 1.5 inches over both sides of the 27" wide Helinox high cot. So the Exped will rest on top of the side rails of the Helinox high cot.

Correct, and that makes the mattress sag in the middle. It can be done, but it's not optimal. Same problem with the Roll-a-Cot wide: the Synmat 12 and Megamat slide down off one of the rails unless you put another layer of foam under them to raise them up to the level of the rails. You have to constantly reposition the mattress. The problem could be less with the Helinox cot because the fabric is tighter.

It would be nice if luxury cots and luxury mattresses could fit together. I don't know of a LIGHT cot that the wide Exped mattresses fit on.

rayra

Expedition Leader
$300? $400?? For a cot?

same general weight capacity as a GI surplus aluminum cot. Which costs $60-70.

The Helinox High is 7-lbs, the GI is 18-lbs. That 11-lbs is worth $300+ ?

Nanabijou

Observer
$300? $400?? For a cot?

same general weight capacity as a GI surplus aluminum cot. Which costs $60-70.

The Helinox High is 7-lbs, the GI is 18-lbs. That 11-lbs is worth $300+ ?

I've used a few military cots for car camping over the years that resemble the GI surplus aluminum cot. They were fine for their price and purpose in my opinion. The issue I had with the army cots is that they were bulky, cumbersome to set up (involving a final crosspiece that needed an axe to leverage it into place), and shed fasteners over time. But they were affordable! Taking a quick look at the GI surplus cot I'm not convinced that it would be any better - and it still appears to be too narrow (27.5") as Placidwaters and myself both prefer a wider cot. When out of frustration I tried a Roll-A-Cot, I was surprised to discover that it was much lighter in weight, packed smaller, came in a wider 32" version, was much easier to set up, had cot material that shed water, was - as I would later discover - much, much more durable - and I could purchase it for about $120. Oh - and it was made in the U.S.A. I felt all of these factors collectively made it a much better value for the money than the army cots I'd used. Granted - the Roll-A-Cot isn't perfect. Placidwaters finds that it's still relatively cumbersome to set up, while the Helinox tension system is much quicker and easier. And you're right - the Helinox IS very expensive. And some seem to feel that the quality, cleverness and ease of set up of the Helinox - while unmatched - is still not worth the price. Unfortunately, it also lacks the height and width of the Roll-A-Cot. The closest the Helinox comes is with their high cot (that is still too narrow in width).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle