2015 GMC Canyon

deadly99

Explorer
Switching out the springs on the Icon coilovers became a relatively big job. Getting the old springs off was relatively easy. The new springs I bought from Icon were a stiffer rate...but also quite a bit longer (to my surprise). The spring compressor we had available was barely able to get the new spring compressed enough to fit the lower collar back on. The length and spring rate meant re adjusting the top collar. Had it about 25 mm showing, ended up with 10 mm showing and got an extra inch of lift.

During the process I gave the shocks a good servicing. The driver side top shock mount was siezed. Got it moving again with anti sieze spray and soak then relubed it with grease. One of the nuts on the UCA ball was crazy loose, tightened it back up. Regreased the balls. One of the reasons I bought the Icons UCA's was the covers for the balls....well I only had one through the winter and that ball is pitted like crazy and will need replacing in the next year (****ty). Seems they trap debris (slat, dirt) as opposed to keeping it out. The passenger shock shaft has a rust pit in it (arg), but at least its at the end of the shaft...still annoyed. Suspect a rock pitted it then a cheap chrome plate is beginning to lift. This sucks as its a major job (for me) to take it apart and replace the shaft. Maybe next year...being the bottom of the shaft it will do minimal seal damage...I hope.

Cleaned all the components, applied spray grease to the 3 spots on the uca's, grease into the uca nipples, and greased the shock shafts. Good to go for a few more months....this whole process wasnt done enough (my neglect) and the damage is obvious. Fair warning yo everyone who buys aftermarket uca's and shocks...they demand regular maintenance...

The ride is much, much better with the new springs (stoked) and the truck sits just a touch front high (perfect).

Four hours, myself and a buddy who is a wizard mechanic. Not a trivial task by any means, in particular the new adjustments of the top collar to get a desired height due to the difference in spring length and firmness.

Pics to come.

deadly99

Explorer
A few spots I neglected...

88.jpg

The top circle is where the drivers side seized. The two circles below it require grease in the nipples, this was done regularly. The circle in the center was lubed regularly, but as mentioned in my previous post I wont be using the caps Icon provided as they did more harm than good (you can see the damage..the other side that didnèt have a cap during salt season looks brand new). The bottom circle was an area I had neglected, no damage was done but it is now added to the maintenance routine.

Added some red bling to the calipers, stoked as it looks nice and everyone deserves red calipers once in their lives :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

A few photos from the process

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I've had it on the road now for a couple of days, very happy with the end result. The extra lift means zero rubbing even at full lock. The firmness of the new springs makes it feel like it did (maybe even a bit tighter) before the winch and bumper were installed.

I have a mean wheel shake when driving slow and turning right, I suspect I knocked the alignment off doing some high speed offroad hooligan stuff two weeks ago. Dropping it off for an oil change tomorrow and will get it re aligned at the same time.

RR2016.jpg

46+- k on the odo

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Funny how we always run into these snags as we experiment with our trucks Deadly. Its a trial and error process that is an on going ride down the beaten path. What you learn from doing your own repairs and fixes are worth their weight in gold. It gives you the ability to know what your vehicle is capable of and how to repair it even out on a barren track in the sticks. I persoanlly would have covered the top of your adjustable towers in some anti sieze and then shrink wraped it. Then I would have sap straped it big time. Probably would have worked to keep everything intact but then again probably too gheto for your fine rig. Cheers, Chilli..:ylsmoke:

Feileod

Observer
Just bought a 2016 Z71 Duramax Colorado and I have been making my mods list. This is a horrible tease! That is the first well laid out, practical, and attractive (IMOP) winch bumper I have seen yet (there aren't many to choose from) annnd its aluminum!!! Nicely done.

Your fabricator needs to build a few of these, the market is there.

Last edited:

jpop8807

Observer
Gorgeous truck I absolutely love the midsize market. I notice many of the really nice trails I find are just too narrow at times for a nice full sized....hence why i have a beater.

I recently bought a 2016 Canyon with the All Terrain Adventure Package and the 2.8T. I am loving this truck. It replaced my 2005 Colorado that had a 5" lift and 31". I am blown away with the MPG and how smooth/quiet it is. I have read over this thread about 3-4 times, your truck is killer. I am racking up the mod list as we speak. I noticed you added a leaf to the rear. What brand or kind did you get. I am looking at doing the RC leveling kit, add a leaf, Fox shocks front and rear, Icon UCA and possible the 1.25" body lift. Do you think I will have issues with running 285/70R17's (32.7x11.2").

Thanks!

deadly99

Explorer
You cant have the RC level kit and aftermarket shocks, either or. If money is a concern a 2 inch level is pretty decent. UCA and shocks will certainly add performance, at the cost of regular maintenance.

Add a leaf was from autosprings.

I have my Icon shocks at three inches and I have a 1.25 inch body lift (RC) and 32's fit perfectly (with wheel spacers (2 inch Bora, hubcentric). 33's wont fit. I had 32x10 inch with the RC 2 inch level...with one inch spacers ad stock wheels.

To fit larger tires you'd need a 5-6 inch lift or have some roll the front fender and do some major reshaping of the wheel wells (front).

As my truck sits, I have about 12-13 inches of clearance to the front diff. Decent enough for what I use the truck for.

YMMV

Like you I am loving this truck. Super quiet and smooth in the cab.

deadly99

Explorer
5.jpg

Added an A.R.E z series cap and a Frontrunner slimline 2 rack. I have another slimline 2 in the garage waiting for me to install (over the cab). A 40 inch lightbar and Frontrunner mount will be added to the rack. The 50 inch curved in this photo has since been removed.

Accumulating items to mount to the racks. Rotopax and traction ramps already purchased. Thinking some low profile Pelican cases are next. I have height restrictions (I park in my garage every night). Hoping to have all my recovery gear, camping gear, etc permanently mounted up top so the back of the truck is empty for daily driver tasks.

Used the winch the other day, worked like a charm.

Outter tie rod is waiting in the garage along side uca bearings, waiting for new uniballs and bushings for the uca mounts. Rebuilding the uca's...this time around I'll be more diligent with the maintenance. One of the front shocks took a ding (rock?) and a flake of chrome came off. Rust has started (sucks). Its at the far end of the shaft so will only come into play at full compression...countdown before it wrecks the seal I suppose. Getting them rebuilt is going to be a huge pita as its my daily driver and mailing them from Canada to Icon or one of the recommended service centers wont be a quick turn around. Hoping this isnt an issue until next year.

Got a trip up north in two weeks...lots to get done before then.

Planning has begun for next years trip....Alaska, BC or Utah seem to be the lead choices. Planning for 4-5 weeks

57, 000 on the odo.

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
Deadlly99,

Looking sharp. I seriously considered a matching rack on the cab to go with the one mounted to the shell. In the end I decided on an expedition trailer which will have it's own rack and plenty of storage space for most of my gear. I used the generic Rotopax plate mounted flat on the back of my rack which worked out well to keep the height down for fitting in the garage. I just have to make sure I snug down the caps on the Rotopax so they don't leak. Only the smallest of cases would fit and still allow my truck in the garage. Turned out to be a bit too small. I have a couple of Pelican cases but I also picked up an old, fairly large army surplus medical chest. It's aluminum and air tight. It fits the gear I consider essential when going off road and I just accept I have to load it up when I need it.

-Curtiss

deadly99

Explorer
Deadlly99,

Looking sharp. I seriously considered a matching rack on the cab to go with the one mounted to the shell. In the end I decided on an expedition trailer which will have it's own rack and plenty of storage space for most of my gear. I used the generic Rotopax plate mounted flat on the back of my rack which worked out well to keep the height down for fitting in the garage. I just have to make sure I snug down the caps on the Rotopax so they don't leak. Only the smallest of cases would fit and still allow my truck in the garage. Turned out to be a bit too small. I have a couple of Pelican cases but I also picked up an old, fairly large army surplus medical chest. It's aluminum and air tight. It fits the gear I consider essential when going off road and I just accept I have to load it up when I need it.

-Curtiss

I still have 3+- inches of antennae above the rack...not a lot of space so I'll have to be creative

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
I still have 3+- inches of antennae above the rack...not a lot of space so I'll have to be creative

I don't even have a lift, just a level kit and I put the "shorty antenna" on. I've got about 4 inches from the top of my rack to the garage door bottom. I might be able to adjust the door to go up a bit higher (maybe an inch or so) but even so there was no way my Pelican cases were going to fit. I know you've seen the pics before, but for other's to reference...

IMAG0436%25255B1%25255D.jpg

-Curtiss

Phxdsrtrat

Observer

I really like that Front Runner rack. One of the best I've seen actually. Mine is a Garvin Wilderness rack. I've been using Garvin's products for many, many moons. Way back from my Jeep days which is what they really specialize in. So I stuck with them since their track rack which I had on my ZR2 for 15 years looked as good when I sold the truck as it did new. However, I can tell you that low profile rack is awesome. I checked out their site and will likely use their load bars on my trailer. Pricey (Garvin is too) but quality does cost a buck or two.

-Curtiss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger