Ammo can idea thread

jscherb

Expedition Leader

No reason to say sorry, people are always thinking my LJ is a Scrambler :). I take it as a compliment meaning that my custom CJ grille kit is good enough that people think my Jeep is a factory CJ.

McClellanMountain2_zpsiz70qbqf.jpg

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Sorry, I don't have any new information, the last time I talked to them about it was at the show in Colorado. I'll send them an email and see if I can get a status update.

Any response to your status update email?
Thank you.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any response to your status update email?
Thank you.

I forgot about it until you just mentioned it... I did send them an email, I asked them 3 or 4 questions about various topic in the email and they responded to all of the questions except the one about the ammo can trays. They must have missed it that one question, I'll ask again.

jgaz

Adventurer
I forgot about it until you just mentioned it... I did send them an email, I asked them 3 or 4 questions about various topic in the email and they responded to all of the questions except the one about the ammo can trays. They must have missed it that one question, I'll ask again.

Thank you

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I just heard back that a run of preproduction samples is underway. These will be used for fit testing and to create packaging and documentation. We discussed them planning to introduce them as new products at the upcoming SEMA Show the first week of November in Las Vegas, so I'd guess availability wouldn't be far off.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'll let you know if they plan to let any of the preproduction run units out into the wild for testing.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I just heard back that a run of preproduction samples is underway. These will be used for fit testing and to create packaging and documentation. We discussed them planning to introduce them as new products at the upcoming SEMA Show the first week of November in Las Vegas, so I'd guess availability wouldn't be far off.
Heard from the company that the preproduction sample run has been done. I'm trying to arrange to get out there next week so I can verify that everything is correct, hopefully if I check them and they're good that'll help get them released more quickly. Off-topic for this thread but they also told me the StoreGate tailgate storage compartment/trail table is now ready for production.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I made it, it's home-made. I never liked the Jeep factory hardtops, so I designed this one with the features and styling I thought a proper Jeep hardtop should have, made molds, and molded it in fiberglass in my home garage. It's modular, so the side panels are removable; there are both hard sides and soft sides. It's also got a full rear "barn door" for easy access to the cargo area, and it's designed to carry heavy weights on the roof rack, like a roof-top tent.

SafariCab3.jpg

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

After I finished building it, Gr8Tops licensed the design from me (www.gr8tops.com), and they now sell versions of it for the TJ and LJ, although their version doesn't include many of the features I built into mine, like the swappable hard/soft sides.

I know the hardtop is designed to hold heavy weights as is, but what are the odds it would work with a pre-existing roof rack like a Gobi?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I know the hardtop is designed to hold heavy weights as is, but what are the odds it would work with a pre-existing roof rack like a Gobi?

The roof is taller than the factory hardtop, so unless there's a lot of clearance between and existing rack and the factory hardtop, it's unlikely that a exocage-style rack would fit. If you told me how much clearance there is between whatever rack you're thinking about and the factory roof, I could tell you if it would fit or not, but I doubt those racks offer enough clearance.

Why would one want an exo-cage style rack when the hardtop is designed to carry the same weight on an ordinary rood rack?

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The roof is taller than the factory hardtop, so unless there's a lot of clearance between and existing rack and the factory hardtop, it's unlikely that a exocage-style rack would fit. If you told me how much clearance there is between whatever rack you're thinking about and the factory roof, I could tell you if it would fit or not, but I doubt those racks offer enough clearance.

Why would one want an exo-cage style rack when the hardtop is designed to carry the same weight on an ordinary rood rack?

Already have the rack as is and have no intentions of getting rid of it, especially since I had to modify my rear bumper to properly run it. Also, it's very accessory friendly.

I think the current space between the hardtop and rack is around 1"-1.5", however, the rear portion of the rack can be adjusted upwards another 2"-3", originally designed to accommodate a body lift. Since the hardtop does taper down from back to front, I believe the front portion of the rack won't be an issue.

I imagine running this top with my current rack is a bit of a long shot, but I love the versatility this hardtop offers.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Already have the rack as is and have no intentions of getting rid of it, especially since I had to modify my rear bumper to properly run it. Also, it's very accessory friendly.

I think the current space between the hardtop and rack is around 1"-1.5", however, the rear portion of the rack can be adjusted upwards another 2"-3", originally designed to accommodate a body lift. Since the hardtop does taper down from back to front, I believe the front portion of the rack won't be an issue.

I imagine running this top with my current rack is a bit of a long shot, but I love the versatility this hardtop offers.

That might just work, the TJ Safari Cab roof is about 4.5" taller than the factory hardtop.

RDK13

Observer
Awesome hardtop!!! :drool:

As far as ammo can ideas I have M249 ammo cans mounted on my M416 trailer as a place to mount my tail lights and store straps, siphons, and cable locks. I cut the handles off the lids and put eyebolts on the latch side so I can lock them.

Jeep Trailer.1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears