Ammo can idea thread

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Awesome hardtop!!! :drool:

As far as ammo can ideas I have M249 ammo cans mounted on my M416 trailer as a place to mount my tail lights and store straps, siphons, and cable locks. I cut the handles off the lids and put eyebolts on the latch side so I can lock them.

View attachment 367853

Very creative and nicely done!!

jgaz

Adventurer
Heard from the company that the preproduction sample run has been done. I'm trying to arrange to get out there next week so I can verify that everything is correct, hopefully if I check them and they're good that'll help get them released more quickly. Off-topic for this thread but they also told me the StoreGate tailgate storage compartment/trail table is now ready for production.

Great news! Thanks.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Color question - on Friday I'm meeting with the company that plans to bring the inner fender ammo can trays to the market. I'd like to give them some input on colors - in this first photo of the JK tray I've got the tray mount/molle grid painted black, and the can tray painted o.d. green.

FirstAidMolle_zpskktmznyx.jpg

In this next photo, the TJ/LJ can tray is painted black:

PA19LJTray_zpsqh2jseyb.jpg

There are three choices the company could go with -

- Semi-gloss black
- Wrinkle-finish matte black
- O.D. green

I think the JK tray mount/molle grid should be black (either semi-gloss or wrinkle), and I am leaning towards O.D. green for the trays because that will go with the color of the cans, but I can see an argument for black as well.

What do you guys think?

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
I could see either color, both would be cool. With that being said, I think most people would rather have a black tray if they don't always carry a can in it. Hate to say that cause I'm rooting for OD in my head.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I could see either color, both would be cool. With that being said, I think most people would rather have a black tray if they don't always carry a can in it. Hate to say that cause I'm rooting for OD in my head.

I like O.D. too, but another argument for black is that things other than ammo cans can be carried in the trays, such as an auxiliary battery for a fridge...

FenderBattery_zpskd4f6w3x.jpg

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Man that green is cool.......I bet desert sand would be sweet too. I know it would look sick in my Jeep, the Navy blue with tan top and interior, could rattle can the ammo boxes and mounts tan too...that would be sweet. I might just have to do that with the cans I've got sitting in it right now actually. I can definitely can see that argument for black though, didn't think about that.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I think I would vote for the wrinkle black. I refused to paint my old MB in Olive Drab and now I think it is an overused color for some people. Fine if it actually is an old military Jeep.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I like the idea for the wrinkled black. However despite not being listed, I feel like a dark charcoal would look pretty awesome also in the wrinkle finish

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Had a very good meeting with the company that's doing the ammo cans. They had preproduction samples ready for me to check out; they were already powder coated in black. Left to right in the cell phone photos below - the JK tray mount/Molle panel with a tray; a standalone tray; and the TJ tray. The TJ tray mounts directly, because of the fender shape/size of the JK the separate mount/Molle panel is used.

The parts in the left two photos are semi-gloss black, the TJ tray is wrinkle black. We decided everything should be wrinkle black.

PreproductionAmmo_zpsaycnsjmx.jpg

The tray in the center photo will also be sold as a standalone item - it's got mounting provisions that may make it helpful in many situations. On the back is a Rotopax mounting pattern, so it will bolt up to anywhere designed for a Rotopax mount as many swing-away carriers are, and on both the back and the bottom are Blitz bolt patterns, so it will bolt anywhere a Blitz/military ammo can tray will bolt - also on many swing-aways, but on many other products as well.

They also had near-final preproduction samples of the StoreGate tailgate trail table/storage compartment to review. They've done a very nice job with it.

PreproductionStoregate_zpsuwjfetxj.jpg

All of the above will be shown at SEMA in Las Vegas in just over 2 weeks.

jgaz

Adventurer
I like the powder coated black. If the TJ shelf is released can we/I pick your brain about what latch you used to make the locking straps you fabricated while making the prototypes?

jgaz

Adventurer
I meant to add: The locking strap would make me more comfortable leaving the cans in my LJ at a hiking trailhead when I have the top off. Thanks for the update.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the powder coated black. If the TJ shelf is released can we/I pick your brain about what latch you used to make the locking straps you fabricated while making the prototypes?

Locking straps were part of the original ammo can tray design project - I made several sizes, designed to secure different sizes of can. I thought a lot about whether they should be included with the product and ended up deciding that cam-buckle straps should be supplied, not the metal locking straps, because I wanted to keep the price of the base product as low as possible and I figured not everyone would need locking straps. When I turned the design over to the company, I told them my reasoning, and said that if there was demand for the locking straps they could do a set of them as an upgrade option for the base product, and they agreed. Also, they're pretty easy to make, so I told them I could post details online so people could make their own.

LockingStraps1_zps7zvl5yum.jpg

When the trays are released and you get one in your hands I'll be happy to show how to make locking straps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior