For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOguy

Explorer
Want to dictate...? I said I don't think people should do it.

As has been put forth, the ability to limit the right to keep and bear arms is extremely well established and confirmed all the way up to Scalia even.

Read up on Constitutional Law, please.

So you are okay if people open carry if they want but you won't do it

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I don't think that anyone should do it, but I have no authority over anyone but myself. I certainly have the right to speak my mind about it though.

Matt.H

Adventurer
The paranoia about rights is strong around here eh? I still don't know where in the Constitution it defines the right to open carry. In fact, case law is well established that there is no right to open carry. It's a privilege granted by some states in some circumstances.
No. The Bill of Rights lays out the prohibitions on government power. The government has since applied the 'reasonable restriction' on the 1st and 2nd for example. Yelling fire in a theater and NFA.

Can we please just establish that there is no "right" to open carry - otherwise it would be universal. The right is to bear arms (widely interpreted as "own firearms").
Actually, outside of New England, constitutional carry is more the norm and you will not usually find case law on what is allowed just what isn't. Open carry would be under constitutional carry.

Open carry is not a right. This is fact, not opinion. Do your research.
Yes. It is.

You have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed upon. There is no limitation on how you do it according to the US Constitution. Laws have been implemented to limit this right. Some states have more laws than others.
This. Constitutional carry.

You're just being a tool. You know damn well I mean any citizen.
Rights are inalienable. Are they not? Non-US citizens can legally carry in the USA.

It's all good... just very confused about how I am infringing on 2A by saying that open carry is bad. Keep your guns, carry them everywhere for all I care. But OC is unnecessarily inflammatory and abrasive 99% of the time.

This statement is the folly of your argument. You feel that others do not consider your feelings when they open carry and that offends you.

I do not open carry 99% of the time due to the tactical aspect of self defense. But I am not going to worry about pumping gas if my revolver is on my hip. Situational awareness is not difficult in that circumstance.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Is New England not part of the United States? Does the Constitution not apply here? The precedent has been set, "constitutional carry" is an imaginary thing.

MOguy, I don't have the authority so it makes no difference.

MOguy

Explorer
Is New England not part of the United States? Does the Constitution not apply here? The precedent has been set, "constitutional carry" is an imaginary thing.

So if you make no difference your opinion is not important? I think it is, even though you are wrong.

Do you think your want for no open carry should over other people's right to open carry??

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
No. The Bill of Rights lays out the prohibitions on government power. The government has since applied the 'reasonable restriction' on the 1st and 2nd for example. Yelling fire in a theater and NFA.

Actually, outside of New England, constitutional carry is more the norm and you will not usually find case law on what is allowed just what isn't. Open carry would be under constitutional carry.

Yes. It is.

This. Constitutional carry.

Rights are inalienable. Are they not? Non-US citizens can legally carry in the USA.

This statement is the folly of your argument. You feel that others do not consider your feelings when they open carry and that offends you.

I do not open carry 99% of the time due to the tactical aspect of self defense. But I am not going to worry about pumping gas if my revolver is on my hip. Situational awareness is not difficult in that circumstance.

Yea you're right

Matt.H

Adventurer

What about the states that do not have licensing, permits or state laws other than Federal Law and the Constitution is that not "constitutional carry"?

There are many who think that N.E. and NY are their own planet. :coffeedrink:

Scott Brady

Founder
Anyway, since the topic is gun carry + overland, what I'd really like is for Mr. Brady to drop the other shoe of that tantalizing hint about gun carrying overseas.

Let's browbeat Scott into giving us the lowdown on that. Who's with me?
10417563_10153095844168275_2582623114384156888_n.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Booyah!

So, um... the carbine is to stop tree huggers from tossing paint onto your fur right?

dlh62c

Explorer
So you are okay if people open carry if they want but you won't do it

Terrorist acts, mass shootings in schools, at businesses, in the workplace and the recent shootings of Police Officers have people on edge. Legal or illegal, right or wrong, open carry can easily create a 'False Positive' effect for the person who decides to do so. You may be open carrying to protect yourself, others and your right to carry, but others may not see it that way. If the Police show up and approach you, its because they received a call that someone was seen carrying a gun.

Homeland Security's 'See Something, Say Something' Campaign

While dated, I found Massad Ayoob's book on Concealed-Carry informative.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12