Ammo can idea thread

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was in my local Walmart this morning and saw that they sell new 50cal ammo cans, $12.83. Hard to find them at that price in surplus stores, so for new ones it's a very good price.

Walmart50cal_zps6g4dz6uq.jpg

DesertJK

Adventurer
I'm at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas this week, here's an ammo can idea I saw today. Interesting idea, but perhaps not so great execution, the grid the can is attached to is attached to the Jeep with zip ties, and there's a lot of movement. The can is empty, I'm not sure how it would hold up with some heavy gear in it. But nice idea.

Also on top of the rack there are two military surplus medical cases. Nice.

AmmoCan1_zpsbydlffkz.jpg

THE WHEELS! I had seen these in an article a few years ago, Michelin was calling them "Twheels" Its a flexible outer rim with a spray/molded on tire. No air needed since the outer part of the rim flexes. When the rubber wears off, more is applied. Eliminates flats and tires piling up in trash piles. They are also lighter by something like 40%.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Hey, I recognize that Jeep! That's my calculus teacher's from back in high school husband's Jeep! Caldwell is the name. He had a 4x4 shop in Hendersonville, NC for a while. He was at a local car show this spring, and if I recall correctly, they were military prototype wheels/tires on loan for SEMA. Designed to not use air, therefore eliminating the possibility of flats. Hope he had wheel locks on them, they weren't cheap! He tried to give them back but they didn't want to bother at the time so he was keeping them till they asked for them. Not sure if they still live in the area, last I heard she wasn't teaching this year. Cool Jeep, but if I had to have a car from that show it would have been the mint early 60's Buick station wagon across from it.....mmmmmm.....:drool:

20160402_121624.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
I know these trays are scheduled to go into production.
Do you have any updates on when they, specifically the TJ design, might be available?
Thanks

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I know these trays are scheduled to go into production.
Do you have any updates on when they, specifically the TJ design, might be available?
Thanks

Should have been a long time ago. I'll ask them. I know the holdup has nothing to do with the ammo can holder itself, there are lots of other things going on at the company that are disrupting schedules (good things, but too many good things can be bad for other things, like this product).

I'll tell you what - if they don't have a good answer I'll ask them if they can run a prototype (or two?) through manufacturing just for you.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
BTW the company was showing them at SEMA last month, and they were handing out this flyer showing several other new ammo can holder products plus the StoreGate tailgate storage compartment/trail table (I've blurred out the company info). All should be on the market very soon.

SEMA16FlyerBlurred_zpsodd6pjpk.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
image.jpg

Could you tell me what size ammo can you are using in your LJ tray in this picture? It looks taller then a "fat .50".

jscherb

Expedition Leader

jgaz

Adventurer
As you know I've expressed interest in your ammo can tray design. I'd like to incorporate it with my interior cargo basket that I use for camping.

I originally had the basket mounted to the top of the tub. I believe I posted pics of it in your sliding tray thread.

After obtaining A used refrigerator I was forced to move the basket forward to allow access to the fridge. This makes it less convenient. I'm working on a new mounting design for the basket that will help solve the fridge access issue and also allow use of the ammo can trays.

I'm attaching a picture that shows a std. 50cal can setting on the wheel well. It is shimmed somewhat level. I show a 4 1/4 inch distance from the top of the can to the bottom of the bar I plan for the basket mount. The bar shown is a piece of hardwood used for mock up purpose.

image.jpg

From what I can tell, I don't believe your design raises the ammo can that much higher than the wheel well. Is this correct?

Thank you. I tried to ask this in a private message but was unable to contact you using this method.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As you know I've expressed interest in your ammo can tray design. I'd like to incorporate it with my interior cargo basket that I use for camping.

I originally had the basket mounted to the top of the tub. I believe I posted pics of it in your sliding tray thread.

After obtaining A used refrigerator I was forced to move the basket forward to allow access to the fridge. This makes it less convenient. I'm working on a new mounting design for the basket that will help solve the fridge access issue and also allow use of the ammo can trays.

I'm attaching a picture that shows a std. 50cal can setting on the wheel well. It is shimmed somewhat level. I show a 4 1/4 inch distance from the top of the can to the bottom of the bar I plan for the basket mount. The bar shown is a piece of hardwood used for mock up purpose.

View attachment 381594

From what I can tell, I don't believe your design raises the ammo can that much higher than the wheel well. Is this correct?

Thank you. I tried to ask this in a private message but was unable to contact you using this method.

In my design the bottom of the can (the base of the tray) is 3" below the top of the tub.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Cool thread!
Jscherb, thanks for posting all the dimensions.

My J10 project needs a center console, so I took a Fat 50 and added some tooled leather to the top...... need to install it now.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was in Tractor Supply today and came across their ammo can sale. They've got new 30 cal. cans for $8 and 50 cal cans for $10, through March 12. Based on the few left on the shelves in this store, they're selling well.

TractorSupply_zpsp6syyjvo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior