Fear of the highlift?

MOguy

Explorer
Not sure about your jack but when mine has the handle in the fully upright position and whack it hard enough it unlocks and slides down to the bottom.

When the handle is in the open position it has one or both pins locked into the beam.

Something is wrong with your jack.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Only if it's unloaded (less than 150 pounds).

In the down position, with a load, if you whack it it will start ratcheting down the post one step at a time - flailing the handle back and forth with amazing speed and force.

I know at least two people who have been injured by this when it happened (one of them critically - major facial fractures and lost an eye).

Worth a repost to those that think they know what they are doing. My other concern is that the cranking pressure goes from easy to hard and springy in an instant. Even in normal operation that handle can pop out of your hands. First thing it hits is the operators face. Practice in your driveway once in a while before you need it and don't let freinds, girls or kids near it.
You were warned.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Actually, the more I think about it, dumprat is right. I am afraid of my hi-lift. In the same way I'm afraid of my winch, chainsaw, axe, and other dangerous tools. I'm afraid someone who doesn't know how to use the tools correctly won't respect the dangers, and are going to kill themselves, so nobody touches those tools except for me. I won't even let anyone borrow them unless I know they have experience with it. So I guess I do fear the hi-lift but that doesn't stop me from using it. A little bit fear might be a good thing in a case like this, it prevents you from getting in a comfort zone and ignoring safety precautions.

Last edited:

WSS

Rock Stacker
HiLifts are also good at squeezing stuff together. I carry a readywelder and have used my jack to hold things together while welding, bend stuff back to shape, pull axles back into place to fit a new bolt etc. They make good stands to help support a driveline being welded up.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Remove the handle

One of the first hi lift safety tips I was ever given was to unpin the handle. This allows you to remove it any time you are not actively jacking. In the horrible case that you do drop into an under load auto ratchet condition, the handle will come out and the ratcheting will stop because there isn't enough momentum to make the next climbing pin actuate without the handle in.

I tried this once under semi controlled and mostly non alcoholic conditions. The flying handle is certainly dangerous, but I think less so than the auto ratchet. IIRC, the handle went over the vehicle I was jacking and landed about 40' away.

I've never had a pinned handle since.

Your mileage might vary, try at your own risk, don't hurt yourself, etc...

BTW, the most use I've gotten from my hi lift in the last 5 years was lifting sidewalk slabs to break them up with a sledge. Good fun I say! My neighbors thought I was magic!

lugueto

Adventurer
I tried this once under semi controlled and mostly non alcoholic conditions. The flying handle is certainly dangerous, but I think less so than the auto ratchet. IIRC, the handle went over the vehicle I was jacking and landed about 40' away.

I find this equally as scary as getting whacked by the auto ratchet, if not maybe more. I do have my handle pinned, and unpin it often to use the handle as a lever (super handy). But the thought of the handle flying 40' will keep me pinning it back when in use.

WSS

Rock Stacker
I find this equally as scary as getting whacked by the auto ratchet, if not maybe more. I do have my handle pinned, and unpin it often to use the handle as a lever (super handy). But the thought of the handle flying 40' will keep me pinning it back when in use.

Or.......
Think it through and pull the "un-pinned" handle out while you are not using it. Lay it down next to the jack, insert when you need it, it's not 40' away and not going into free walking mode. Oohh, another option, use a couple pieces of self adhesive velcro on the handle and a jack frame, cut a velcro wrap piece and use that as a strap to hold the handle from contributing to problem. The velcro will give when force is applied if needed in a hurry but not give way to ratchet action.

It's ok to fear hi-lift jacks, but don't fear common sense. If one fears the use of common sense, nothing gets done, best not travel alone. If one fears the hi-lift jack, the likely outcome is respect and knowledge of it's workings.

The truth is lack of common sense and knowledge of an item is the real danger. If you read the internet on how to use a hi-lift, your probably scared. Read the manual and use the jack before you need it (Practice??), your probably going to have success.

I have an unbelievable fear of guns!! Point a gun at me and I'll likely wet my pants and run. It's the business end of the barrel were the bullet exits that scares me, not holding it and pulling the trigger in a safe direction. I think it is the same kind of "liberal" painted fear a lot of people have these days, I am not speaking politically either. I'm talking the liberal application of fear based thinking.

WSS

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
The truth is lack of common sense and knowledge of an item is the real danger. If you read the internet on how to use a hi-lift, your probably scared. Read the manual and use the jack before you need it (Practice??), your probably going to have success.

I suppose we can sum up the entire thread with these three sentences.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
i can't remember what its called, but there is a rubber piece you can slide down that will grab the handle so it won't auto-ratchet, it will just swing up and stop

WSS

Rock Stacker
i can't remember what its called, but there is a rubber piece you can slide down that will grab the handle so it won't auto-ratchet, it will just swing up and stop

Like the red piece on shown?

4109CFD1-6C64-41E4-9C7D-2722B6ADF683_zpswqc606lw.jpg

Anak

Stranger

I suppose we can sum up the entire thread with these three sentences.

QFT!

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I can honestly say, my hi-lift has pulled out more 6" diameter fence posts, than it has recovered a vehicle. I think the one time i had to hi-lift out, i had hi-centered a 3/4 ton cummins, and had to jack it up from the sliders to pile "rock ramps" under all the tires. Otherwise, it stays in a bag in my tool box, and comes out whenever i have to pull fence posts.

boxcar1

boxcar1
A high lift, winch , snatch block, shackles and tree straps are all a must. I can't count the times I have used all of the above at the same time on a tough recovery.
It's a pretty safe tool as long as you take the time to learn how to use the dammed thing.
I guess I'm lucky. My dad showed me how to use one when I was 12 years old.
For those of you who don't understand the use for one on a newer rig with plastic bumpers.... You don't understand or know the proper use of the jack. And a bottle jack? Try that when the truck is up to the rockers in soft clay....
Now on dry pavement and or a fire road , yes the bottle jack wins that argument. I carry both for that very reason.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Like the red piece on shown?

4109CFD1-6C64-41E4-9C7D-2722B6ADF683_zpswqc606lw.jpg
Sorry, no, I don't know why I wrote rubber. It's the little metal spring clip thing, it will grab and hold it. It comes on the hi-lift brand lifts, I think they have a patent

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan