My 1999 XJ build thread

cleanEG

Observer
It's getting there. I wish I had everything done to it and the trailer but I kind of work at a pace my finances will allow. When my son's frame cracked I decided to get a different XJ for him and use his old one for my own purposes. Took his axles and up-graded mine in favor of the gears and the 8.25 rather than the Dana 35, Made a world of difference while I was running 31" tires. Now we put the 33" KO2's on, it does OK but will be great once we up-grade again. We are using the body for my camper build as well. The camper is the most challenging project I have ever worked on to date, it is coming along but work is now getting in my way, (also need a new radiator for the XJ).

You have the mechanical skills I wish I had. (Learning a lot since I bought the XJ) and your rig is very clean looking compared to mine. looking forward to your up-dates, (I love seeing what everyone is doing to theirs rigs so that I can glean from them)

Thanks for the compliment! I'm also learning alot and have spent numerous hours on forums researching and learning along the way. I have a good friend at work that introduced me to Jeeps and he's graciously helping me with the gearing install. I had a chance to check out your project and that is going to be so awesome when it's done. It's very unique and I'm sure you will get so much enjoyment out of it!

cleanEG

Observer
4:88's are the way to go. I just rehearsed my Comanche with them when I Locked the front and rear ! Been watching your build for a while now and what a well thought out XJ!!! Keep the info coming :). I've already stole 3 ideas from you !!!! Lol

Thank you! It's forums like this one and a few others that have always helped me with my automotive endeavors. It's great that we have so many avenues online to learn and share information about fixing/upgrading vehicles.

cleanEG

Observer
Started the rear install yesterday, but not quite done yet! I'm also tempted to throw in some Ten Factory 29 spline chromo shafts while I have the axle housing out of the jeep. $180 for new axles and I dont have to drain the fluid all over again....hrm....decisions....

P1050093.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
Finished up the rear today. I decided to hold off on new axle shafts for budget reasons and will upgrade later on down the road. I also added a KJ rear disc conversion with new rotors, pads and brake lines. I'm grateful a good friend (who does lots of gear installs and has the right tools) took the time to help and teach me the installation. Gearing is so tedious! Now I know why the labor is expensive.

IMG_20170611_142200 (1).jpg

cleanEG

Observer
Nice build you have going.

Thanks! I finally finished the rear axle and now have it back in the Jeep. I picked up a used transfer case skid plate from DPG and a new Iron Rock Offroad gas tank skid. I still have to re-gear the front Dana 30 which will be done this Friday if all goes well. To wrap up the armor I had some rock sliders fabricated and installed by the same guy that built my custom roof rack. I have a camping trip coming up in the Sierras near Shaver lake so I really need all the armor for the trail we'll be doing.

jeep-gas-skid.jpg
jeep-rock-sliders.jpg

fightngillini25

Build looks great! I've got a 98' myself. I was just curious as to what setup you're running for your tablet mount? It looks like a ram mount from the pictures. Do you have any pictures of how you have it attached to your jeep?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my 7" tablet in my XJ. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

cleanEG

Observer
Build looks great! I've got a 98' myself. I was just curious as to what setup you're running for your tablet mount? It looks like a ram mount from the pictures. Do you have any pictures of how you have it attached to your jeep?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my 7" tablet in my XJ. Thanks!!

Thanks! You're right about the mount - It's a ram mount and I have it bolted to the dash. I'll snap some pictures when I get home and upload them for you. It works really well with the ipad mini and I've tested it on several washboard roads without any issues.

fightngillini25

Thanks! You're right about the mount - It's a ram mount and I have it bolted to the dash. I'll snap some pictures when I get home and upload them for you. It works really well with the ipad mini and I've tested it on several washboard roads without any issues.
Awesome! Which options did you end up going with for the mount?

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Very nice. Doing a lot of this myself right now. Waiting on my axles so I can finish then and swap em.

What axles are you building? I just picked up a LP D30 w/ 3.73's from a ZJ and this weekend I'm going to Houston to pick up a Ford 8.8 w/ 3.73's and an LSD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman