My 1999 XJ build thread

mtlove91

Jelly. How are the 33s on stock gears? Is it doable? Ive probably missed those duratracs most from that jeep.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I have 32's on 3.73's and while not optimal, not terrible. Power is okay except above 4500 feet, mpg is around 14-15 combined surface/freeway.

cleanEG

Observer
Jelly. How are the 33s on stock gears? Is it doable? Ive probably missed those duratracs most from that jeep.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hows it going Todd! The 33s on stock gears are manageable around town if I keep the transmission in 3rd, but for sure it's sluggish. My plan is to add 4.56 gears to both axles in the next 6 weeks since it's not too much fun to drive with all the added weight of the front/rear bumpers, winch, roof rack, cargo drawers,spare tire, armor, etc. If I didnt have the extra weight, it wouldnt be as bad, but its not ideal. The duratracs were good, but with a 2ply sidewall I really wanted something more puncture resistant and the Coopers fit the bill. So far, they are great tires on the highway and in the mud (tested recently with all the rain). Not sure how they would be in the snow yet or out in the rocks/desert but will find out in March when I make my next trip.

How's your jeep doing?

cleanEG

Observer
I have 32's on 3.73's and while not optimal, not terrible. Power is okay except above 4500 feet, mpg is around 14-15 combined surface/freeway.

Not bad! I think I have 3:55s but I'm not entirely sure. I think it's the weight of the accessories and the tires that are adding to the stress....

cleanEG

Observer
Recently broke one of my motor mounts on the driver side while wheeling in the desert. Decided it was time to throw in some heavy duty mounts and chose SFR (stinky fab racing) mounts and motor mount plates. I've heard of factory motor mount plates breaking off bolts in the block and decided the heavy duty plates with several mounting locations would be a better fit. Upgrade once and be done. Gearing will be done in the coming weeks when I can find a free weekend to install then with a friend.

IMG_20170415_101039.jpg
IMG_20170415_103632.jpg

Last edited:

cleanEG

Observer
Finally getting around to re-gearing the rear Chrysler 8.25. While I'm at it, I'll be adding an ARB rear air locker, new bearings, seals, etc. Rear axle will be brand new!

IMG_20170526_131231.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
Those motor mount are good idea, had a friend break off his engine bracket, caused all kinds of problems!

That's exactly why I just bought the set. Much beefier than stock brackets and I don't enjoy trail fixes or risking a motor dropping towards the unibody.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Decided to go with 4.88s since I am heavily weighed down when I go on long trips. I also dont daily drive this vehicle so gas mileage wasnt a concern ;)

I have axles w/4.56 and ARB lockers I plan on putting into my XJ. Mine has a 5 spd. I have 33" KO-2's no plans for larger tires and will be pulling a home made trailer, I am hoping it is steep enough to make taking the mountain passes a little easier on the rig. I don't daily drive mine either. Right now it has 3.55 gears and the 33"s it lacks the ump right now. Hoping to take it to Moab in the fall.

cleanEG

Observer
I have axles w/4.56 and ARB lockers I plan on putting into my XJ. Mine has a 5 spd. I have 33" KO-2's no plans for larger tires and will be pulling a home made trailer, I am hoping it is steep enough to make taking the mountain passes a little easier on the rig. I don't daily drive mine either. Right now it has 3.55 gears and the 33"s it lacks the ump right now. Hoping to take it to Moab in the fall.
That should be comparable to an auto trans with 4.88s from what I've heard. I have the auto trans and also don't plan on going larger than 33s. Everyone I have met that went larger had to upgrade to beefier steering components and axles since it was much harder on them. Sounds like you have a sweet setup 😁

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JandDGreens

Adventurer
It's getting there. I wish I had everything done to it and the trailer but I kind of work at a pace my finances will allow. When my son's frame cracked I decided to get a different XJ for him and use his old one for my own purposes. Took his axles and up-graded mine in favor of the gears and the 8.25 rather than the Dana 35, Made a world of difference while I was running 31" tires. Now we put the 33" KO2's on, it does OK but will be great once we up-grade again. We are using the body for my camper build as well. The camper is the most challenging project I have ever worked on to date, it is coming along but work is now getting in my way, (also need a new radiator for the XJ).

You have the mechanical skills I wish I had. (Learning a lot since I bought the XJ) and your rig is very clean looking compared to mine. looking forward to your up-dates, (I love seeing what everyone is doing to theirs rigs so that I can glean from them)

Happykamper

Explorer
4:88's are the way to go. I just rehearsed my Comanche with them when I Locked the front and rear ! Been watching your build for a while now and what a well thought out XJ!!! Keep the info coming :). I've already stole 3 ideas from you !!!! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior