My 1999 XJ build thread

cleanEG

Observer
how long did it take you to do lockhart? we are thinking of an overnight trip to kick off our week down there

We started from the South on highway 211 since we were coming up from Valley of the Gods Saturday morning. Once we left the pavement on highway 211 it took us about 2 hours taking our time to get to the fork in the road for Lockhart Canyon. We then took lockhart canyon down to the Colorado River. From the end of Lockhart Canyon it was 7.5 hours to Moab Brewery which included a few stops along the way for photos, lunch, and the views on top of Hurrah pass. Since we came from the South, it was much easier to get down the difficult wash portion of lockhart at the end of the trail (or start if coming from Moab). It was beautiful scenery all throughout but it's very slow going. We were pretty exhausted afterwards since we did the majority of the trail in one day. I'd definitely do it again though.

cleanEG

Observer
Lockhart Canyon was well worth the drive too, just take some of the bypasses since there are some sections with deep deep ruts.
usWl6rJIFTCVTN4HIcccTX8jGRiNBtU8n1KOJYUdTX89ajugBWi-2hRQLChN6k6y2U2bsHsdBWM9=w2526-h1432-no

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
It really should not take you more than 12 hours to do the whole circle. It took us something like 14 but you have to count in the stops to fix Jeeps and to help the kid with the F350, long bed, crew cab get around a few rocks. Winching a friends Jeep off of a rock. Picture stops. Pileing a few rocks for the F350, the stop in Moab for burgers, fuel and some groceries. The cloud burst on the way back to Indian Creek in the dark. You know how much fun it is in a Jeep without a top.
I needed a few beers when we got back to camp.
I hope you got the hint, Indian Creek is our favorite place to camp. I know of a few other places...

Thanks! i will keep that in mind

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
We started from the South on highway 211 since we were coming up from Valley of the Gods Saturday morning. Once we left the pavement on highway 211 it took us about 2 hours taking our time to get to the fork in the road for Lockhart Canyon. We then took lockhart canyon down to the Colorado River. From the end of Lockhart Canyon it was 7.5 hours to Moab Brewery which included a few stops along the way for photos, lunch, and the views on top of Hurrah pass. Since we came from the South, it was much easier to get down the difficult wash portion of lockhart at the end of the trail (or start if coming from Moab). It was beautiful scenery all throughout but it's very slow going. We were pretty exhausted afterwards since we did the majority of the trail in one day. I'd definitely do it again though.
Sweet. i think we are going to do 2 days

cleanEG

Observer
Just enjoyed a day out in Anza Borrego State Park. Took a drive up Fish Creek to Diablo Drop-off and then to the mud caves. Great day to be out exploring the desert!

ZFiuz6QMc4AqxXK0fW_x8--s5CV2bJx7iIkZeJ4_DV8Fi-KE_zacSGz-IoTlrlGYekeLwwXO3hyBnHl8bsR-bOIJtODdzmGswTsAtPFgnTKAh2dxJA80_qwXHWkDgFd271MiwWyGumK_43qIgixPASKBtwgCnM7HMwYL0ngEu1HuMDLrjfpL4IFvTDK69FEphF9lZMG_Lu94eHhBo2707gLswK_ooZfI5RvPrCSTiHE3VzlV0rp9dTAzuP_z1_XBhoCKQEDhi_SrsJwVEuWitP2ZXk9W0TT2azADRZyem4Xw9GweQQX3BE6YQZGGGRgbkPCG_Lq0drr1BJ2Ir8q7fiaa_GJ7hsI6lQVe7Kdj9uycGg7IlxxgX-F3as-jKkjuWomMsdNYR7cuNF32up0hIqfXN5SdGBBiBaJtLQwZUw9ObvGNt_y-gxC2jPCIGoe0DaFspYcLMxQ18S_fZpQlEGx1gTUcEglh-uMmVfJmrRvIx2Ae0Wvd2TWwb4PnV_4CGPUgWB8JT1J0YICCdzR03tQNKOXdSp8qrbf1wX40P58OKuDJ1JiGYY73M6b9HEAVDfON_Oj-MAHDLbw9J0edeiptZfKzE0FOqPLKHysYVv6KwHVY=w2244-h1486-no

Kraqa

I just did the LED bulb upgrade on my interior lights in my ZJ. Huge difference. A hard price tag to choke down at first but what a facelift for the jeep

Last edited:

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Love the LED light upgrades inside. I should look into that. Plus, one of the bulbs behind the climate control is burned out (the fan speed selector) and I need to replace it anyhow.

Cool build!

need-a-bow

I replaced my overhead bulbs and footwell bulbs. Accidentally got 700 lumen bulbs in the footwell, noe its super brite bit all looks nice

monte350

the ones for the manual controls aren't bad. if i remember right, those are #74 and just twist out like a 194 bulb. its the neo type bulbs in the headlight switch and overdrive/defrost pod that suck. they are the same in the ATC system. i've done all my interior lights over with led. the change in brightness is staggering. its almost too bright.

cleanEG

Observer
After slashing the sidewall on one of my duratracs a couple weeks ago it was time for a new set of tires. After doing the lift my plan was to go with 33s so after hours of research I decided to pick up a set of 33x12.50x15 Cooper STT Pros. So far these tires are very quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern. I havent had them on the trail yet, but I'm looking forward to their performance in the desert and rocks.

I also got around to installing a Smittybilt 9500 XRC winch with synthetic rope in the front bumper. I think the next upgrade will be a set of 4.56 gears in the front/rear, home made rock sliders and a gas tank skid.

IMG_20170116_122306.jpg
IMG_20170113_154816.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior