Jeep Wrangler 2024 Upgrade rumors...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Well I'm bummed. With standard curtain airbags now and increased towing capacity, now I'm wanting one. Ugh...

I think it looks great. All of these updates were needed and help the brand. The Willys always needed a rear locker and will probably suffice for most of us.
I still don't understand why body-mounted mirrors haven't happened yet though.

Overall I think it's great to see the competition pushing Jeep to offer more options, more features, 35s from the factory (37s on the AEV Phase II 20th anniv. Rubicon), etc. etc.

This can only be a good thing for us consumers.

Now we settle in to wait... how many years before they announce a fully EV Wrangler & Gladiator ?

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Some more full-float rear axle and 2024 info....

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Overall I think it's great to see the competition pushing Jeep to offer more options, more features, 35s from the factory (37s on the AEV Phase II 20th anniv. Rubicon), etc. etc.

Now we settle in to wait... how many years before they announce a fully EV Wrangler & Gladiator ?

-Dan

The real question is... Would Dan Grec ever take an EV Jeep on an overland adventure? haha
Without digging into calculations, I can't imagine how long it would take to completely recharge an EV based purely on mobile solar panels. It makes me think of traveling like Mark Watney from The Martian.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The real question is... Would Dan Grec ever take an EV Jeep on an overland adventure? haha
Without digging into calculations, I can't imagine how long it would take to completely recharge an EV based purely on mobile solar panels. It makes me think of traveling like Mark Watney from The Martian.

Huh, I'm about to film the answer to that question for a YouTube video today.

-Dan

HopeOverLandandSea

Well, the 2024 Wrangler for certain does have the door sticker... but I Can't read it.

We need someone to take a photo of this at EJS!

I take that back, I'm 99.9% sure that says 6550lbs / 2972kg
View attachment 772360

And this is a 4xe Rubicon.

What was the JL before this?
(OK I found a Forum post that says the 4xe Sahara was 6400lbs / 2903kg.)

So the new 4xe Rubicon has a GVWR about 150lbs higher than the old 4xe Sahara... but that might just be the Rubicon difference.

-Dan

My 2022 Rubicon 4xe is 6400 GVWR see attached from my door. Sad thing is with my Sky One Touch top, steel bumpers, etc my payload is only 850!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

85_Ranger4x4

Now we settle in to wait... how many years before they announce a fully EV Wrangler & Gladiator?

-Dan

Amen.

Competition is good for everybody.

I want a hemi gladiator though...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Amen.

Competition is good for everybody.

I want a hemi gladiator though...

I'm shocked they have not done it yet.. and reading around the web it doesn't sound like that have a very good reason they have not.

It seems like a no brainer to just add the option for those that want it - surely it has a bigger profit margin that the 3.6

-Dan

85_Ranger4x4

I'm shocked they have not done it yet.. and reading around the web it doesn't sound like that have a very good reason they have not.

It seems like a no brainer to just add the option for those that want it - surely it has a bigger profit margin that the 3.6

-Dan

Probably afraid to totally hose their fleet fuel economy average or something.

The hard part is done, if they can keep a 6.4 happy in a 392 JL a 5.7 would be cake in a JT.

I'd say the only reason Jeep is making changes is to compete with the Bronco. I really wish they would drop all the IT options and offer a plain, basic Wrangler soI can wash the interior with a hose.... Like I used to do on my YJ and CJs.

I'm seeing no reasons to buy anything newer than my TJRs.

Pretty sure you can wash out the interior at least on some trim levels...

SkiWill

It's likely because the Hemi's days are numbered with production ending relatively soon and the new hurricane I-6 taking over for the outgoing Hemi. No sense in completing the engineering and tooling for a motor that's been in production for 20 years and will sunset soon. Better to spend the effort to make sure the new Hurricane I-6 will be a good fit. I have also heard that given the tow rating increase in the gladiator over the wrangler, there were some concerns regarding keeping the motor adequately cooled.

I just wish the payload had increased more on the 2024 Wrangler than 150 lbs. Also happy to hear that side curtain airbags have been installed. That was long overdue. I am also curious as to whether the rear locker in the Willys will transfer over to the gladiator. I used to have a Scrambler and would really love to have a lower spec, high payload gladiator with modern safety features.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Probably afraid to totally hose their fleet fuel economy average or something.

The hard part is done, if they can keep a 6.4 happy in a 392 JL a 5.7 would be cake in a JT.

The modern 5.7 VVT Hemi would have been the perfect ONE engine for the JL/JT platform. I think it would have forced them to use the 8hp70 in every Jeep along with the larger axles though. People would have lost their mind if the standard motor was a V8 in the Wrangler. Then they could have done all the silly options like the 392 or whatever other silliness the wanted to drive enthusiast sales. Alas, it was not to be it seems.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The modern 5.7 VVT Hemi would have been the perfect ONE engine for the JL/JT platform. I think it would have forced them to use the 8hp70 in every Jeep along with the larger axles though. People would have lost their mind if the standard motor was a V8 in the Wrangler. Then they could have done all the silly options like the 392 or whatever other silliness the wanted to drive enthusiast sales. Alas, it was not to be it seems.

For what it's worth, if the base engine in a Wrangler was a 5.7L V8, I would not buy one. Gas is so expensive now, and I want range more than I want horsepower.

Also there's absolutely no way they could do that and meet CAFE standards. There's a big reason they're pushing the 4xe so hard.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
For what it's worth, if the base engine in a Wrangler was a 5.7L V8, I would not buy one. Gas is so expensive now, and I want range more than I want horsepower.

Also there's absolutely no way they could do that and meet CAFE standards. There's a big reason they're pushing the 4xe so hard.

-Dan

I would postulate that in real world use, especially on modded Wranglers, there would be no real difference in mileage IF driven responsibly. The modern Hemi, done right at the factory, is going to have a 4cyl cylinder deactivation mode for steady state cruise. There would be a slight cost increase for the larger parts required by the hemi....and larger parts weigh more....but that is probably the only real downsides in my opinion. Driven like a hoon...sure, enjoy your 10mpg.

I have friends with Grand Cherokees that are returning fantastic mileage with the base Hemi when compared to the V6 options. In some cases, especially towing or loaded, the V8s seem to be doing better.

I agree that the .gov is getting in the way of what would probably work better all around. :ROFLMAO:

85_Ranger4x4

It's likely because the Hemi's days are numbered with production ending relatively soon and the new hurricane I-6 taking over for the outgoing Hemi. No sense in completing the engineering and tooling for a motor that's been in production for 20 years and will sunset soon. Better to spend the effort to make sure the new Hurricane I-6 will be a good fit. I have also heard that given the tow rating increase in the gladiator over the wrangler, there were some concerns regarding keeping the motor adequately cooled.

I just wish the payload had increased more on the 2024 Wrangler than 150 lbs. Also happy to hear that side curtain airbags have been installed. That was long overdue. I am also curious as to whether the rear locker in the Willys will transfer over to the gladiator. I used to have a Scrambler and would really love to have a lower spec, high payload gladiator with modern safety features.

There must have been some cooling concerns, they opened up the grille slots for '24 to increase airflow. They are no longer solid like they have been forever.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

I'm surprised we didn't see the Hurricane during the 2024 refresh. Maybe it is a soft refresh like the 2011(?) wrangler when they just changed the interior and then changed from the 3.8 to the 3.6 the following year? I do think the Hurricane SO will force them into using the larger 8HP70 auto and the heavier axles like with the Ecodiesel. That will be such a solid value if that is available in the base Sport package.

I agree that the payload on the Wrangler is just paltry. I would love to hear a good explanation on that from Jeep, I've heard it is because of the rear suspension. Some of the development work they did on the J8 program seems to confirm that as they ditched the rear coil suspension for leaves to get the 1250kg ( 2750lbs!) payload rating. 3/4 ton trucks with coil rear suspension have come a long way with rear payload capacity in the last few years, which gives us SOME hope. The amount of people running their JL/JT around WAY over GVWR is staggering......and honestly I don't see a TON of issues from it.

11905433.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle