Jeep Wrangler 2024 Upgrade rumors...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Start of an April fools thing?

No, not at all. There are some really interesting possibilities for the mid-run refresh. The new 3.0 Turbo 'Hurricane' SO engine might make it. There are also rumors of a new HD rear axle ( I suspect a variant of the M235 Advantek, and increased towing capacity.

ThundahBeagle

They just saved enough money, shutting down the plant that makes the Cherokee. That's in limbo. Pour that cash into this refresh.

Hard to imagine greater capability out of the box than a Wrangler.

Refined Icon, minor styling cues altered?

I was impressed with the technology in my brother in law's Gladiator. Better than what's in my Sierra.

Advanced safety makes sense these days.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I just want the 2023 with a single turbo Hurricane

...and the 8hp70 automatic and stock Dana 44s the Hurricane would force them into needing would be icing on top. It could be similar to the Sport Ecodiesel where even the base model got all the heavy parts for less than a Rubicon or half the price as a 392!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
signal-2023-03-24-084555.jpeg

It will be interesting to see if the new Spicer PerformaTrak locker will be making it into the Wrangler. They are already being used in the Ram TRX and Ford Bronco. They are an externally shifted locking collar ( similar to how an OX or TJM aftermarket unit works ), which I think would be an improvement. The current units on the market use a small magnetic linear actuator to move the shift fork, but they do say air is also an option.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
View attachment 770523

It will be interesting to see if the new Spicer PerformaTrak locker will be making it into the Wrangler. They are already being used in the Ram TRX and Ford Bronco. They are an externally shifted locking collar ( similar to how an OX or TJM aftermarket unit works ), which I think would be an improvement. The current units on the market use a small magnetic linear actuator to move the shift fork, but they do say air is also an option.

An insider with direct knowledge once told me the lockers Jeep use in the Rubicon have been extremely, EXTREMELY reliable over the years. They basically never have warranty or failure issues (unlike, for example, the sway bar disconnect on the JK Rubicon).

That insider told me Jeep are extremely happy with the e-lockers they use. Based on that, why would they change?

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
An insider with direct knowledge once told me the lockers Jeep use in the Rubicon have been extremely, EXTREMELY reliable over the years. They basically never have warranty or failure issues (unlike, for example, the sway bar disconnect on the JK Rubicon).

That insider told me Jeep are extremely happy with the e-lockers they use. Based on that, why would they change?

-Dan

They said a lot of the same things about the TJ Rubicon 'Fuji' low pressure air lockers too, and then moved on to the electromagnet 'Eaton' style design.

The JK/JL electric lockers have their quirks. The large electromagnet tends to pick up all the metal flake in the diff oil and concentrate it into the carrier causing some issues over time. The current design uses the same pin-ramp setup as the 2-pinion Eaton Elocker also....generally, this means that the locker 'can' unlock-relock when changing directions on the vehicle if the left and right axle have any bind on them at the time.

There are also pretty well documented issues on the control and sensing inside the diff.

If the 'Eaton' design was THAT great, I don't think we would have seen Ford do something different with access to the same product ( they already use versions of it on other axles in their lineup). I don't believe that Jeep owns that design in any way. The fact that Ram is now using the Performatrak diff in the TRX is another indicator that the JK/JL locker design might not be the holy grail for designs. Eaton also has a new aftermarket design that is an improvement over the old version with quicker lockup and no ball-ramp system anymore.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they do go through with the new 'heavy-duty' rear axle for increased tow capacity. My guess is that they will be using something like the Advantek M235 rear axle like in the Bronco Raptor. It would be amazing if they combined that with some of the tech from the Ram TRX M250 rear full float axle, specifically the full float system that uses unit bearings ( similar to the old Jeep Commander design)

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I hope the upgrades are terrible.... I can't have my "wanter" going off again when I have a perfectly good paid-off Jeep in the garage.

If I'd add one thing over the current offerings, it'd be more airbags. The Bronco has curtains, why can't we?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
If the 'Eaton' design was THAT great, I don't think we would have seen Ford do something different with access to the same product ( they already use versions of it on other axles in their lineup). I don't believe that Jeep owns that design in any way. The fact that Ram is now using the Performatrak diff in the TRX is another indicator that the JK/JL locker design might not be the holy grail for designs. Eaton also has a new aftermarket design that is an improvement over the old version with quicker lockup and no ball-ramp system anymore.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they do go through with the new 'heavy-duty' rear axle for increased tow capacity. My guess is that they will be using something like the Advantek M235 rear axle like in the Bronco Raptor. It would be amazing if they combined that with some of the tech from the Ram TRX M250 rear full float axle, specifically the full float system that uses unit bearings ( similar to the old Jeep Commander design)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the current e-lockers are the best thing possible - but remember, it's not about having the best thing possible. It's about having a good solution that doesn't increase the price of the vehicle, or reduce profit. ie. it's a cost balance.

The Wrangler (other than the 392) doesn't make the power or have the abuse of the TRX and the like, so it does not need the same axles.

-Dan

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the current e-lockers are the best thing possible - but remember, it's not about having the best thing possible. It's about having a good solution that doesn't increase the price of the vehicle, or reduce profit. ie. it's a cost balance.
-Dan

I agree and I believe that the only reason Chrysler would change their current offering is if they got a better price from a competitor on a design with similar reliability. I think for the millions of Jeep Rubicon lockers that are out there they've proven extremely reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998