Jeep Wrangler 2024 Upgrade rumors...

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
There must have been some cooling concerns, they opened up the grille slots for '24 to increase airflow. They are no longer solid like they have been forever.

For sure. Here's a great article on the limiting factor for towing on the Gladiator during development. Not horsepower, not the rear axle, not brakes or anything like that. Also why the diesel with massive torque has a lower tow rating than the gas engines.

Cooling.

I agree that the payload on the Wrangler is just paltry. I would love to hear a good explanation on that from Jeep, I've heard it is because of the rear suspension. Some of the development work they did on the J8 program seems to confirm that as they ditched the rear coil suspension for leaves to get the 1250kg ( 2750lbs!) payload rating.

Yeah, the J8 has rear leafs and a D60.
I have to assume it's also about ride comfort - it would be *very* stiff when empty if it had a ~2000lbs payload.

-Dan

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, the J8 has rear leafs and a D60.
I have to assume it's also about ride comfort - it would be *very* stiff when empty if it had a ~2000lbs payload.
-Dan

Yup, my F350 rides like a tank with it's 3000lb payload empty.

It would be pretty cheap and easy to offer a high GVW package and have the aftermarket cover the spring rate/lift/ride quality side of things.

On new Ram 2500 linked rear suspension, don't they have an air suspension option? That could be an interesting way to deal with ride quality vs load capacity.

85_Ranger4x4

Yup, my F350 rides like a tank with it's 3000lb payload empty.

It would be pretty cheap and easy to offer a high GVW package and have the aftermarket cover the spring rate/lift/ride quality side of things.

On new Ram 2500 linked rear suspension, don't they have an air suspension option? That could be an interesting way to deal with ride quality vs load capacity.

Ram 1500/2500/3500 have air suspension optional. Some fancier Jeeps (GC/Waggy) have it available too.

Air suspension is... air suspension. No fun is had when you have problems in the boonies and your suspension gets deleted.

And in today's world of backorders it can be a bumpy road to getting it fixed too.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ram 1500/2500/3500 have air suspension optional. Some fancier Jeeps (GC/Waggy) have it available too.

Air suspension is... air suspension. No fun is had when you have problems in the boonies and your suspension gets deleted.

And in today's world of backorders it can be a bumpy road to getting it fixed too.

Sure.....but if you want to have a large swing in payload vs ride quality, it's viable. Order some spare bags if you are worried about it. A few million semi trucks make it work for hundred of thousands of miles.

85_Ranger4x4

Sure.....but if you want to have a large swing in payload vs ride quality, it's viable. Order some spare bags if you are worried about it. A few million semi trucks make it work for hundred of thousands of miles.

Actually it seems to be about everything but the bags. Ride height sensors, valve block, compressor etc.

I only see the problem ones but I would rather put up with a rough ride than deal with it personally, especially out of warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears