The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

Dougnuts

I'm hoping the trim levels are more for those that don't need 21 way power ventilated seats rather than the de-contenting of the off road hardware and capability as mentioned in the article. It would be really nice to have a basic, well built Land Cruiser with the utility and off-road hardware without all of the luxury appointments driving up the cost so much.

Looks like you got what you wanted. All the hardware without the "luxury" bits. I'd want mine to at least have softex and the 12.3" screen, but I'm glad they made a "base" trim for those who have wanted it for years.

nickw

Adventurer
Any intel on axles being "Landcruiser" vs "Prado" based? Guessing since GX550 vs LC600 and GX550 = LC250, we are getting lighter duty platform.....but Toyota is very careful not to throw around the "Landcruiser" name without having the hardware to back it up. Based on the photo's I've seen over on IH8MUD the frame and rear axle looks the same between 550 and 600, front suspension looks a bit lighter duty.

Not that is matters per-se, but lots of engineering insight into what Toyota was thinking by looking at R&P size, spline count, etc.

T-Willy

Any intel on axles being "Landcruiser" vs "Prado" based? Guessing since GX550 vs LC600 and GX550 = LC250, we are getting lighter duty platform.....but Toyota is very careful not to throw around the "Landcruiser" name without having the hardware to back it up. Based on the photo's I've seen over on IH8MUD the frame and rear axle looks the same between 550 and 600, front suspension looks a bit lighter duty.

Not that is matters per-se, but lots of engineering insight into what Toyota was thinking by looking at R&P size, spline count, etc.

Those who got first look at the 250 at the SLC reveal said axles and arms looked the same as those in the 300, but we'll have to await official word.

MotoDave

Explorer
I really like it, and I think they'll sell all they bring to the US.

Cheaper than the GX, as much offroad content as most buyers will ever need, new hybrid drivetrain sounds like it will be a HUGE improvement in mpg over the outgoing 4runner/GX460. Many of us just have one vehicle for daily driver duties as well as weekend adventures, so it does matter.

For my needs the lack of a 3rd row option sucks. I'll wait and see what the 4runner ends up being, I could see it having a non hybrid option that brings back the 3rd row like the GX550.

I find the nit-picking on other forums (ih8mud) funny. All of the guys that paid $90k for 'heritage' 200 series are intent on making sure everyone else knows "Its not a real land cruiser!"

Umbrarian

Observer
C&D are known for typos.
LOL understatement of the decade.

Here is what they thought the LC would be 4 days before it was announced.

With all the visual similarities, it also stands to reason that the Land Cruiser will share the GX's twin-turbocharged 3.4-liter V-6 engine when it launches and an unspecified hybrid engine sometime down the line.

As far as trim levels are concerned, we think the Land Cruiser could arrive with a bevy of options including off-road-inspired TRD and Trailhunter models. Toyota is sure to add more mainstream options like an SR5, Limited, or Platinum for shoppers less interested in a rugged 4x4.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
With considerations of the 4Runner's future, this aligns well with my expectations (more so hopes).
The price is right, the optional trims are right, the looks are right, and the customer persona was nailed.

Although this ticks all of my (and my wife's) boxes, I'm curious what the final 4Runner will be. I can't imagine what the large differentiators will be between the two.
Honestly, I still think the next 4Runner will be the less offroad version of this with a 3rd-row option, no standard locker, not standard 4x4, and a standard Ti4 without the hybrid.
The top-of-the-line 4Runner will probably be priced at the mid-level market of the LC.

SkiWill

I find the nit-picking on other forums (ih8mud) funny. All of the guys that paid $90k for 'heritage' 200 series are intent on making sure everyone else knows "Its not a real land cruiser!"

Well said @MotoDave. I cheekily pointed out in the GX550 thread, where will the "Landcruiser" go in the ExPo forums if we get the Prado, which is what is happening. Is it the Toyota other, or "Landcruiser" forum? I knew where the mud forum members would fall. Whatever, this is a great vehicle but probably won't work for my 3 kids.

I do wish they had done this with the 300 series instead of the Prado, but it looks like a fantastic offering for those that will fit in it. I'll reserve my final judgement until I see it person.

SkiWill

Looks like you got what you wanted. All the hardware without the "luxury" bits. I'd want mine to at least have softex and the 12.3" screen, but I'm glad they made a "base" trim for those who have wanted it for years.

Pretty much. Got an useable middle seat in the second row from what I can tell, which I didn't want and may be a dealbreaker. Hopefully not. I'll take a look when I'm able to do so.

Markal

Where are folks seeing MPGs for this new Land Cruiser? Or what are people basing their estimates on? I’ve seen 27 mpg in this thread, 30 mpg in another forum. That seems high to me but I ain’t no expert.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Where are folks seeing MPGs for this new Land Cruiser? Or what are people basing their estimates on? I’ve seen 27 mpg in this thread, 30 mpg in another forum. That seems high to me but I ain’t no expert.
screenshot-2023-08-01-at-8-36-10-pm-png.900691

Kingsize24

I like alot about it. I see how this will be a big hit for most of the masses of LC users. But the hybrid powertrain is an immediate turn off. The last thing I want on my mind when out remote is an electronic nightmare. I just never see a place where fording water, dust intrusion, and electronics will be an inclusive love affair.

Umbrarian

Observer

For the US market, it is not. An LX300 would have been the "follow-on" or "come-back". This is a re-badge.

Does not take anything away from this. Just set your expectation accordingly. If you want a LC300, get an LX600.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179