The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I sure hope it looks better than the renderings that magazine shows for the front-end. It looks like a poorly executed Chi-com knock-off.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
It's hard to imagine a role for the LC in the current Toyota lineup:
4Runner - GX - Sequoia - LX

If it won't be the 300, the only real possibility is it falling below the GX as the same SUV with Toyota badging.
That seems in-step for Toyota's SUV action in the US market. But then again, The FJ is a niche vehicle that sold for many years, the Supra is a niche vehicle, and even the Corolla GR caters to a small crowd. I think Toyota may actually know that they need a new flagship vehicle like what the Wranglers and Broncos are to their companies.

If this track of mind is correct, we could be in store for something really cool.
I can imagine a few scenarios:
1) LC Prado is the new 4Runner TRD Off-Road / TrailHunter trim
2) LC Prado is something unique like the FJ Cruiser aimed at the Wrangler and Bronco, and the 4Runner is standalone (same platform as the GX) but closely resembling the Tacoma and retaining the Limited Trim
3) LC Prado is just a rebadged GX, looks and underpinnings, maintaining a level of luxury, and the 4Runner is standalone aimed at the Wrangler and Bronco.

If something different, I can't imagine where that leaves the 4Runner. Its sales are huge so there's no dropping it and the Highlander is just behind it with FWD bias and IRS.

AggieOE

Baby EV Cruiser?
View attachment 782950

That's an interesting idea. Maybe the LC will be all-electric. I can't imagine it'd be this Compact Cruiser but it may be a Non-Compact Cruiser which, no-doubt, would put the price much higher and possibly back to Rivian and Hummer territory.

I think most of the enthusiasts would hate this but maybe the Toyota Finance department doesn't.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think most of the enthusiasts would hate this but maybe the Toyota Finance department doesn't.
It's a possibility. Why let GM have all the fun ruining heritage nameplates?

I think most likely is it'll just be a rebadged GX.

I wouldn't be opposed to a revamped FJ Cruiser.

I was very very close to picking up a 2008 Trail Teams edition 6MT back in 2011 or so.
Brought it home for the weekend to try out and just couldn't make it work.

AggieOE

It's a possibility. Why let GM have all the fun ruining heritage nameplates?

I think most likely is it'll just be a rebadged GX.

I wouldn't be opposed to a revamped FJ Cruiser.

I was very very close to picking up a 2008 Trail Teams edition 6MT back in 2011 or so.
Brought it home for the weekend to try out and just couldn't make it work.

That's funny! We looked at one too and same reaction. The rear doors and blind spots were deal-breakers.
It wouldn't take much to turn a new FJ/LC into another success with a larger market share.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That's funny! We looked at one too and same reaction. The rear doors and blind spots were deal-breakers.
It wouldn't take much to turn a new FJ/LC into another success with a larger market share.
Yep, we thought it was a little too tight for a family of 4. Then to have to tow a tent trailer too...

Ended up with a Suburban instead.

1078691_10201310563113649_79273165_o.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-12 144926.png

If it’s not a 70 series….
I gave up on Toyota USA in 79 when the BJ40 appeared in Canada but not US. They’re worthless IMHO.
Too bad they didn’t continue with 70s (other than the mine pickups) in Canada; I’d have a Troopy with 2H or 1HZ etc in my front yard.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I had two FJC's, a 2008 TT auto and a 2012 TT manual. Fun to build and wheel with but the blind spots and rear suicide doors were awful. I am in the "meh" crowd in regards to the barn door, it doesn't bother me but I am not a fan either. I could see something along the lines of a more modern FJC with a 4-door option to compete with the Bronco and Wrangler but who knows.

In Asian countries, Lc is really hyped but in the middle east, the Patrol is more superior. I just hope they retained the V8 engine instead of the new V6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior