LRover vs LCruiser?

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
jisa897 said:
I suppose now the question should be around which model of Landcruiser?

95-1996-1997 Land Cruiser or Lexus LX450 as the first choice
1993-95 Land Cruiser as second choice
(all FZJ80's with the 1FZ motor)

1998-2008 Land Cruiser and LX470 as another option for cruising the Americas in style

Not sure why LR's are "cool" and LC's are boring... I always thought the 80 was cool. I prefer the 80's styling too.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Correct me if I'm wrong fellas... But isn't he in the UK and capable of then getting all of the trucks we dream of???

To the OP: is this the case or have I misunderstood you. I thought you were posing the question of wether it was better to build and then ship or find and or have one built here right???

If so, the answer is simple (to me the toyota guy) and thine answer is LC78 Troupy... Pretty much one of the most proven expo or 4wd platforms around.

OR, to be fair since you can get the Rovers that would make me change my mind about them I'm just sure: 110 or 130 Diesel Quad cab P/U if you decide to go the rover route. Or even a real Diesel Disco I, that would be SWEET.

[internal monolouge on] O crap I think I just started dreaming of a Rover... Quick, out to my truck for a late night drive... No rovers, no rovers no rovers.... But a Dosco I with a Diesel in CT trim!!!! They could be SOOO.... NO NO NO ROVERS!!!!! Ok maybe just a Series... AHHHHH [internal monolouge off]

Guys I'm confused...

Cheers

Dave

soenke

Adventurer
Originally Posted by 1leglance
great pics and it would interesting to hear comments from you based on what you have learned over the years.
Your current rig shows alot of thought!

yes, I am driving LandCruiser now sorry....couldn´t help it

The first journey with a BJ45 something was different. I did´t have anything to do in the evening, could walk around the camp with clean fingers. Even the screws didn´t need to be tightend. Coming in an oasis I didn´t have to hunt for spares....I got used to that very quickly

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21298&page=2

jisa897

Observer
bigreen505 said:
I have no idea what your budget is

Thanks for all the advice. Still trying to figure out all the models u r suggesting, sounds chinese for now!

Dreaming in LandRover... I can understand! We initially went to Germany to get a VW campervan, and ended up wanting a LandRover badly! Once you see them, all kitted up and ready to go, they r under ur skin!

But restricting our trip to the Americas, and looking at practicality and budget, reading your comments, the Cruiser seems to be winning. We don't want to spend everything on the vehicle (low budget), we only want to get something mechanically sound, strong, not too hard to fix, with available spare parts, low juice consumption, some storing space et voila!

We were even thinking of bringing our little Peugeot 205 accross the Atlantic but I guess the storage space is limited and the off-road (or potholes road) capacity doubtful!

jisa897

Observer
Carnet de passage

haven said:
What about disposing of the vehicle after the trip is over?
Do you want to ship the truck back to the UK from South
America, or will you drive back to Canada at the conclusion
of your explorations?

Chip Haven

Well, first we will be doing the Americas, but were supposed to do the whole RTW so we will see what to do when we get to Ushuaia! We might sell the vehicle or ship it to Asia if we continue.

On the point of selling your vehicle or returning with it, I understand we need to get a Carnet de Passage.

I read an interesting thread here by Don Green (Americas Overland, QuestConnect) - which I can send over as I saved it.

This is also what I got from the Canadian customs:

"If you are not returning your vehicle to Canada, the best thing to do is to go directly to the Customs of the country you will be in with the vehicle buyer. There the proper receipts will be exchanged and the Customs of that country will stamp the last page of the Carnet. That last page is called the Certificate of Location and that will prove to us and to all of the other countries you will have entered with the carnet where the vehicle ended up. You would have to return whatever receipts were given to you along with the stamped Certificate for us to close your file.

In the countries where it says you will need a written undertaking, like Honduras, Panama etc etc. That just means that you will sign a document at the border stating that they know you have your vehicle in their country and they usually give you 90 days to leave their country with your vehicle.

In Mexico you will have to pay a small fee by credit card to obtain a permit and when you exit Mexico they will return this fee to your credit".

Did anyone have a similar experience, or do u generally ship it back?
(perhaps this should be on a separate thread, let me know, I'm still new!)

AndrewP

Explorer
jisa897 said:
bigreen505 said:
I have no idea what your budget is

we only want to get something mechanically sound, strong, not too hard to fix, with available spare parts, low juice consumption, some storing space et voila!

LOL--"only"

We all "only" want the same thing. Unfortunately, sound strong and cheap with storage space, means "low juice consumption" is out.

Any capable expedition vehicle will use a lot of fuel, and the same vehicle in diesel will use 30% less. Right now in the USA, diesel costs about 30% more-so the savings are a bit of a wash.

Your best bet for a minimal $ hard core expo rig is an 80 series with an OME heavy lift. If you want softer core, you could get by a little cheaper. Anything kitted up for travel, whether it's a Land Cruiser a LR or even a Jeep is going to get poor fuel economy.

Post up your vehicle budget. That will allow us to better suggest options for the USA.

Here are the reasons to get a Land Cruiser:

Far better reliability
Less expensive
Larger
Much better parts availability in NA and SA
Parts are cheaper and needed less often
Stronger axles and drive train
Available factory lockers
Stronger frame

Here are the reasons to get a Rover:

Dude-You're English
They look cool kitted up
Khaki Pants and shirts make you look thinner
Pith helmets are still cool
Gin and Tonics served on the tail gate

Now before I get hate mail, I'm joking, sort of...

Like someone else said-if you go with your head, you have to get a Cruiser, if you go with your heart-buy what you love, it's OK.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
AndrewP said:
jisa897 said:
LOL--"only"

We all "only" want the same thing. Unfortunately, sound strong and cheap with storage space, means "low juice consumption" is out.

Any capable expedition vehicle will use a lot of fuel, and the same vehicle in diesel will use 30% less. Right now in the USA, diesel costs about 30% more-so the savings are a bit of a wash.

Your best bet for a minimal $ hard core expo rig is an 80 series with an OME heavy lift. If you want softer core, you could get by a little cheaper. Anything kitted up for travel, whether it's a Land Cruiser a LR or even a Jeep is going to get poor fuel economy.

Post up your vehicle budget. That will allow us to better suggest options for the USA.

Here are the reasons to get a Land Cruiser:

Far better reliability
Less expensive
Larger
Much better parts availability in NA and SA
Parts are cheaper and needed less often
Stronger axles and drive train
Available factory lockers
Stronger frame

Here are the reasons to get a Rover:

Dude-You're English
They look cool kitted up
Khaki Pants and shirts make you look thinner
Pith helmets are still cool
Gin and Tonics served on the tail gate

Now before I get hate mail, I'm joking, sort of...

Like someone else said-if you go with your head, you have to get a Cruiser, if you go with your heart-buy what you love, it's OK.

:clapsmile

Radio

Observer
I don't have too much experience, but what little I have done, and going to the field for work every day, every climate and often with no real roads in my Cruiser... well, Toyota. You won't regret it.
And, if your skipping through Alberta, let me know! It is a wonderful province with much to offer, and you are welcome to 'pit stop' at my house if you need too! We serve beer, homemade wine, steak and all that good stuff!
Just PM me and let me know!
Cheers!

I will start by adding my vote for Landcruiser... I am a huge fan of Rovers, but I have owned Landcruisers since I was a teenager and have a borderline obsession with them (like most Rover and Landcruiser owners have).

Since you are used to RHD you could find a Japanese import diesel in Canada. For example Terra2Imports (I have never dealt with them) buys nice Cruisers in Japan and delivers them to you in Canada... e.g. (Link) A beautiful almost expedition ready '91 HJ61, sorry I drool a little . There are quite a few companies that specialize in JDM imports in Canada. I am not sure what legalities would ensue...

Another option (originally proposed by Doug Hackney or maybe Scott Brady?) is to find an expedition rig that is for sale... a lot of folk finish their American travels in Argentina or Chile and sell their rigs there. The vehicle would be expedition seasoned, ready and tested, if perhaps somewhat beat-up. Just another option.

Good luck and I hope our paths cross while we are underway...

eleblanc

Adventurer
jisa897 said:
Will be leaving Montreal, Qc in April-May. We have some stops to do we can't get away from to visit family on the way (New York, California - don't know how, and Texas). The rest is an adventure!

Thanks to everybody for their advice; it is really helpful as all I get from here is to go for LANDROVERS, probably as they r made here in the UK. Having seen many, those defender 110 tdi 300 were pretty much in my mind day and night, but so difficult to find over the internet in North America, especially at a decent price...

I suppose now the question should be around which model of Landcruiser?

I'm in montreal and you could fairly easy get your hand on a HDJ81 here. Not sure how you would register it tho.

PM for any help about your truck getting it prep and ready.

Here is one, with diff locks.. not too far from montreal
http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...UISER-HDJ81-VX-LTD-53-000KM-W0QQAdIdZ96100195

eleblanc

Adventurer
i can arrange for you to get anything needed imported from the us here in Montreal to be installed. And there is a 4x4 across the road in near my shop.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Found a sweet 60 off the US14 freeway and it's kinda got me thinking diesel swap/dependibility.

I'm a Rover owner by the way.

:rolleyes:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
lostworldexpedition said:
... and have a borderline obsession with them (like most Rover and Landcruiser owners have).
HAHA, see I think this is a great point: everyone thinks the ROver guys are extremely die-hard wacky enthusiasts but in reality Cruiser/Toyota guys are EXACTLY THE SAME... Were all nuts in some ways, I guess the only difference is the hood emblem you're throwing your dollars at eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998