LRover vs LCruiser?

jisa897

Observer
so you plan on shipping it to quebec to start your tripp?

Salut eleblanc!

Oui, we will ship it to Canada. Need to see which port and from where, UK or France as both are easy for us, having family there. Prices are not that bad actually so worth it.

Where r u in Mtl? Do u have some kitting up stuff?

jisa897

Observer
Prado/Colorado

Hi guys,

That's the info I found (wikipedia!)... you were right... of course!
Our cylinder capacity is 2982 CC, so that makes it a GX-TD with a 3L engine: 1KZ-TE!
I've found quite a few for sale in Quebec already so should be alright for parts hopefully.

Wikipedia says: Toyota Land Cruiser Prado is a model designation used in Japan, Australia, South Africa, Middle East, Southeast Asia and Latin America as well as other parts of the world for light-duty, mid-sized four-wheel drive cars in the Toyota Land Cruiser line. They are produced by the Japanese car maker Toyota Motor Corporation. The car is marketed in many other parts of the developing world, such as the Caribbean and large parts of Africa.

In Europe it is sold as simply Toyota Land Cruiser, or with the number series designation (LC 70, LC 90 and LC 120). In North America it is not part of the Land Cruiser range, being instead sold as the Lexus GX 470 and Toyota 4Runner sport utility vehicles (SUVs), with nearly identical body panels and a V8 engine.

The current Prado is based on Toyota's J12 platform. Previous models were based on the J9 and J7 platforms. All models designated Prado feature front independent suspension, ladder frame, and a two-speed transfer case.

The Toyota Land Cruiser Prado is available in GX, GXL and VX spec versions, with either short or long wheel base. The GX is the entry level model, while the VX is the more luxurious version. In most markets it is available with either a 4.0 L petrol V6 and a 3.0 L Diesel engine. In some European countries there are commercial van variants, based on the short wheel base chassis.

Second series (Land Cruiser 90-series Prado model: 1996 to 2002):

In May 1996, the 70-series underwent a makeover and emerged as the 90-series Prado, an independent series. The body was enlarged in and out. The design was heavy-duty, like the 70-series Prado, but with a smaller engine and lighter classification compared to the full-sized Land Cruiser series. Although new in designs, the suspension is similar to those used in Tacoma and Hilux Surf made by Hino.

The 3-door series starts with an R in the series ranging from RZ, RX, RS to RJ while the 5-door line-up starts with T in the series ranging from TZ, TX, TS, to TJ. All models comes with model front double wishbone and 4 linked suspension as well as full-time 4WD. ABS and Field Monitor showing altimeter, termometer and pressure was standard in all the models. Television display and audio set was also optional.

Gasoline engines include 2.7 L (2693 cc) 3RZ-FE and, new in Prado models, 3.4 L (3378 cc) V6 5VZ-FE. Diesel engines are 2.8 L (2776 cc) 3L engine, 3.0 L (2986 cc) 5L engine and 3.0 L (2982 cc) 1KZ-TE.

By June 1999, minor changes were made. In order to follow the new law, fog-lamps were attached to the bumper. In July 2000, a new developed diesel engine, 3.0 L (2982 cc) Common Rail Diesel Injection (D-4D) 1KD-FTV was introduced into this model. With the 1KD-FTV engine, Prado can finally be on par with the Land Cruiser series when it comes to power. In order to avoid thievery, engine immobilizer was available. TX Limited with 8 seats used TX base with roof rail, rear under mirror, wood panel finish, arm rest, optitron meter, base cooling as well as rear heater was introduced into this series. The 90-series Prado was replaced by the 120-series Prado in 2003.

UK Sales
When the Prado was launched in the UK in 1996, it was called the Land Cruiser Colorado and replaced the 4Runner, which had been discontinued from sale. It was called this to distinguish it from the larger Land Cruiser - renamed as the Land Cruiser Amazon - which was already on sale.

It dropped the Colorado name tag in 2003, when it was renamed simply Land Cruiser.

jisa897

Observer
Take a look at Kevin Rowland's truck in the Land Cruiser forum, or in this thread on ih8mud.com- http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/200578-rotw-kevinmrowland.html He is a maniac about storage management and I have stolen a few ideas off his truck having crawled all over, in and around it.

Sorry me too for the multiposts! Also just read page 4, u found the wiki before me! ;)
Thanks Esh and all others for commenting and advising. Invaluable help.

This Rowland's guy's mad, but how inspiring! Would be cheaper than a roofrack + rooftent too I guess. Need to put some friends and family on the case I think! I do like the fresh air though, I guess we could bring an extra normal tent for the warm days!

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
If low cost is an issue then forget about Defenders in NA. There aren't many 110s and while 90s are more plentiful, they're still pricey. You'd be much better off by a Defender in the UK and shipping to NA and home again. Disco's and Range Rovers are plentiful in NA and Disco's in particular will be cheaper than a Land Cruiser. But for what your planning I'd also recommend the LC, say an 80 or early 100

Jim

eleblanc

Adventurer
Salut eleblanc!

Oui, we will ship it to Canada. Need to see which port and from where, UK or France as both are easy for us, having family there. Prices are not that bad actually so worth it.

Where r u in Mtl? Do u have some kitting up stuff?

I'm on the south shore, city called Chateauguay, about 20 minute from downtown. I would guess the best port would be montreal. If you need any help for anything let me know.
Not sure what you mean by kitting up stuff? a place to store your goods?

eleblanc

Adventurer
Hi guys,

That's the info I found (wikipedia!)... you were right... of course!
Our cylinder capacity is 2982 CC, so that makes it a GX-TD with a 3L engine: 1KZ-TE!
I've found quite a few for sale in Quebec already so should be alright for parts hopefully.

Seriously? tell me where, URL?

Jisa, i would highly recommand you go to forum.ih8mud.com and post up a threat in the appropriate forum (diesel section) to try to find out the known regular problems to the truck. Some people there might hint you on some parts you should carry. Then put the parts you want in the truck before coming over.

You really would not want your expedition stalled for a week because of a part that you will have to wait coming in from Japan to america.

And make sure you have "cruiserdan" or best know "cdan" contact with you all the time, he will be your saver when something fails.

Register on ih8mud, post up a thread and private message cdan, tel him you are coming to america with a Landcruiser colorado and ask how parts are available. HE is toyota guy here in America.

But seriously, it is not because there are a few colorado for sale in Quebec that a dealer will help you, in fact they won't be able to help you at all. Your only hope is if you have part number. Cdan will be able to look up toyota database and find the part number for you, then search for it.

Like some mentionned, unless you are going all out for some serious offroad trail you might just not have any problems. But carrying oil filter, air filter, couple of belts might not be a bad idea. check where you are at with the maintenance of the truck, predict what you will need to have done according to the maintenance guide, and carry what ever will need to be replace.

And once your tripp is over, i might has well be interested in your truck!

Last edited:

Gurkha

Adventurer
I have personally met many overland travelers who have come across India in LR and TLC, the ones who had TLC fared far better than LR. There was a famous photographer who traveled with both LR and TLC, his experience was the same. The TLC was trouble free whereas LR had plenty of problems. Part of the reason is LR's poor design, the rear diff is weak and it breaks, also various other issues including electricals etc. TLC would be a much safer bet.

esh

Explorer
ih8mud started in a way with the Cruiser Assistance Club and tech links. Brian offered it on the LCML back in the day. It was quite a personal and detailed list of people all over the world that you could reach out to for help, parts running, a bed, a beer, food, or just a visit.

Not sure it has continued anymore (seemed to run 2003-2006), but you might check with woody on ih8mud.com to see if you could get the old list.

It was an amazing resource, but I can see why it may not have been maintained.

My experience from South America where the most difficult roads are,
TOYOTA land Cruiser, you will find more replace parts, if you are gonna go to Venezuela, you can contact with cruiserheads.com if you came to Perú, pls contact me or landcruiserperú.com, Bolivia is a paradise of land cruiser older, newer there they only use it!!
www.xploreperu4x4.com
FZJ80
FZJFE105
TLCA 17658

esh

Explorer
If they keep running Dakar out there, I would so love to ship my FJ62 down, do some trips, and watch a couple legs one of these Januarys!

gjackson

FRGS
My experience from South America where the most difficult roads are,

Hmm, I'm not going to argue that roads in SA can be bad, but that's a pretty bold statement to make on a site like this. Difficult is subjective, and in the case of roads it's also highly weather and season dependent. What is easy one day can be impenetrable the next, no matter where in the world you are.

That fallacy of this thread is the assumption that there is an ultimate expedition vehicle; the truism is that there is an ultimate expedition vehicle for each individual.

cheers

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
That fallacy of this thread is the assumption that there is an ultimate expedition vehicle; the truism is that there is an ultimate expedition vehicle for each individual.

cheers
Hmmm. I agree and dis-agree...

Despite the fact that we seek to make everything in the world "equal and fair" the fact of the mater is that if dimensions and general specifications are the same or within reasonable a reasonable range of one another, one is most certainly better than the other. For instance for an Expo rig I tend to think that ultimalty the reliability record of a vehicle make and model are far out-weighed by some percieved sence that one vehicle was "meant" for expo travel. If simple emotional responce were the force that made the world go round as it were then people would be tackling extreme off-road trails in Ferrari Enzo's and they'd do just fine... But we all know that a ferrari Enzo's are not 4wd's and therefore are not the ideal vehicle. It is a fact that the 70 Series Landcruiser is the ONLY vehicle ever to circumnavigate the African continent with no mechanical failures. Does that mean that Rovers are junk? Certainly not, but from a purely scientific and facts/findings basis they are not the head to head winner in this case.

I agree that ultimatly the best vehicle for any given person is the one they like the best, but realitsicly, if you remove all personal attachment and opinion one (in this case the Landcruiser) has a superior track record across the globe. That said, if you're not in love with the vehicle you will never be able to convince yourself that it's the right tool for the job and will contuinuously find fault with it.

In the end I don't care what you drive, if you're into 4wd's and like to go out into the wild wild's of the world you're allright with me.

Off subject: I think I'm becoming dis-lexic... Seriously I almost can't type the and and without typing TEH and ADN...So ANNOYING!!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior