LRover vs LCruiser?

jisa897

Observer
Got it! A land...

...cruiser!

Sorry I haven't been in touch. Been frantically looking and doing my research taking into account your advice and our budget!
Waiting to drive it down tonight before sending the pics.

It is a Toyota LandCruiser Colorado GX Turbo Diesel Manual, 3liter engine 1997 (for a very good price I think, and in very good nic it seems)!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for the advice!

Will be looking at equipment now, firstly roof rack and tent. Any advice is always welcome :)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a dream come true to all of us Diesel-Loving N. Americans (I'm guessing it's a 1KZ-Te or is it a D4D????)... Can't wait to see the pics when you get some up. Congrats on the New Cruiser, I think you're going to be incerdibly happy.

Cheers

Dave

esh

Explorer
I believe he bought a Prado. That would fit the engine type.. 1KZ-TE 3L. Be wary of the less load-carrying capacity. These were designed off the 4runner/Tacoma pickup platform- double wishbone 4-link suspension (though still considered heavy duty).

Also you will find no parts sources for that truck in North America. Not sure if they made it to South America?

If you are kitting in the UK, maybe the south american manufacturers like Hannibal? You want an aluminum rack and then decide where you are sleeping- for a roof top you can do clam-shell style (easy to setup/takedown, takes up your rack space though) or flip-out style (you get half your rack for storage).

jisa897

Observer
Pics of the LC97

Hey guys,

The Lc got home safely last night. Husband flew at 150km on the highway on its way home (I'm a she, by the way!)

Here are the pics (attached).

PS Not too sure I understand the 1KZ-TE?

Looking already at roof racks and rooftop tents, although the back is so huge we might as well snooze there! (of course the 8 seater will become a 2).

Attachments

• Car1.jpg
    Car1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Car4.jpg
    Car4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 111
I believe he bought a Prado. That would fit the engine type.. 1KZ-TE 3L. Be wary of the less load-carrying capacity. These were designed off the 4runner/Tacoma pickup platform- double wishbone 4-link suspension (though still considered heavy duty).

Also you will find no parts sources for that truck in North America. Not sure if they made it to South America?

If you are kitting in the UK, maybe the south american manufacturers like Hannibal? You want an aluminum rack and then decide where you are sleeping- for a roof top you can do clam-shell style (easy to setup/takedown, takes up your rack space though) or flip-out style (you get half your rack for storage).
Jisa897, the 1KZ-TE is an engine that is usually associated with the Landcruiser model you and your husband purchased. I believe esh is right. That is a Prado; however, in Europe the Prado came with 4 engine options... which one did you get?

The Prado is a reliable vehicle and it should do great, but esh is also right about parts availability in most of the Americas. Not a common model in this continent. But I have seen people driving all kinds of vehicles all around the Americas including a Ferrari that drove all the way south on the Panamerican highway (Link). There is a couple driving an FJCruiser right now and the FJ is pretty much a North American model, they have not had any problems... check them out at alongdrive.com.

I also agree about outfitting with Hannibal (from South Africa), I wish I owned one of their awnings.

Please keep us posted on your plans,
Cheers

esh

Explorer
Sorry for the multiposts! :coffeedrink:

Looking at building a simple rear sleeping platform and storage system inside is a great way to go vs a rooftop tent. It is cheaper and uses space more efficiently, and keeps your center of gravity lower. There are benefits to RTTs as well.

You can do a lot with MDF (medium density fiberboard), or carpentry grade plywood and storage bins.

I don't look at expedition portal for these kinds of designs but I expect with some searching you can find search hits for "drawer system" or "cargo storage"-like terms.

Take a look at Kevin Rowland's truck in the Land Cruiser forum, or in this thread on ih8mud.com- http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/200578-rotw-kevinmrowland.html He is a maniac about storage management and I have stolen a few ideas off his truck having crawled all over, in and around it.

If you go this route, you might figure out how close to the roof you can handle to sleep comfortably (need to sit up fully, clausterphobic?), and build a platform across the entire back area up to the front seats (make sure they can still recline as much as you need).

I really like my 1st rough draft of this system and use it for sleeping in the winter on exploration trips. The warmer times is where the RTT excels. Get a nice breeze up there.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
So that Prado has IFS? The wheels look like the 99-02 4Runner rims (5 spoke). Is it pretty much a European 4Runner? Looks, cool, though. Can't wait to see it all dolled up. :D

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. Per wiki that esh posted:

All models comes with model front double wishbone and 4 linked suspension as well as full-time 4WD. ABS and Field Monitor showing altimeter, termometer and pressure was standard in all the models. Television display and audio set was also optional.
When the Prado was launched in the UK in 1996, it was called the Land Cruiser Colorado and replaced the 4Runner, which had been discontinued from sale. It was called this to distinguish it from the larger Land Cruiser - renamed as the Land Cruiser Amazon - which was already on sale.

It dropped the Colorado name tag in 2003, when it was renamed simply Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader

Well, the parts issue MIGHT be true of the Diesel motor, but the GX470 and the 4th gen 4Runner (or third maybe???) are esentialy the exact same truck underneath. That would be the "PRADO" in other markets so I don't think the parts issue will rear it's ugly head. Add to that the fact that ANY Toyota dealer should be able to get the parts and you're set to jet... lest we all forget that it's a Toyota so all this talk of needing parts is a bit over blown anyway, it's not gonna break down... Now if it were a... never mind ;)

Cheers

Dave

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Well, the parts issue MIGHT be true of the Diesel motor, but the GX470 and the 4th gen 4Runner (or third maybe???) are esentialy the exact same truck underneath. That would be the "PRADO" in other markets so I don't think the parts issue will rear it's ugly head. Add to that the fact that ANY Toyota dealer should be able to get the parts and you're set to jet... lest we all forget that it's a Toyota so all this talk of needing parts is a bit over blown anyway, it's not gonna break down... Now if it were a... never mind ;)

Cheers

Dave

It looks like the engines offered in the 97 LC Colorado trim is the same as a 3rd Gen 4Runner/1st Gen Tacoma (2.7L & 3.4L), which then I would guess everything else would be similar.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It looks like the engines offered in the 97 LC Colorado trim is the same as a 3rd Gen 4Runner/1st Gen Tacoma (2.7L & 3.4L), which then I would guess everything else would be similar.
Yeah, that was what I was searching my pea brain for... It was the 3rd gen then and in other markets the also came with the 1KZ-Te... Damn other markets and their damn diesel engine options -shakes fist- Or better yet Dman N. America and our LACK of Diesel engine options...

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior