Need a real axe

bucketosudz

Explorer
As Superu suggested, the steel that makes up an axe from "Box Stores" and from lets say "Wildland Fire Supplier's" are not necessarily created equal.For the sake of conversation, you can think of it as a knife if you will. All knifes with some attention will cut and poke, but it may not last as long or hold an edge as long. They may be brittle, or bend when accidently struck against a rock or ground. Ask a Forester or Wildland Firefighter or Structural Firefighter what they would be suggest. Council Tool and Nupla are a couple of brands to consider.

Tom and Elaine

Observer
Can't beat the Estwing for weight, ease of sharpening with a mill file and round stone and it will hold an edge unless you are splitting rocks. Weight is minimal, I have carried mine on backpacks ATVs snowmobiles and vehicles for years. It now has a comfortable home in the Tenttrax.Best part you never have to replace a handle. Tom and Elaine

jcbrandon

Explorer
...What do you do with a pulaski?

The head has two tools: One is an ax for whatever you would use an ax for. The other is a grubbing hoe or mattock. It is designed for chopping tree roots. It works great for moving things like rocks out of the ground. Think of it as pry bar, or an ax blade turned 90 degrees -- that you don't mind cutting into the ground.

Here's an explanation on its use in trail building:
http://www.americantrails.org/resources/info/tools5.html

...What do you do with a pulaski?
I almost wrote "Decorate your truck." :)

T-hacha-P

Observer
I would recommend checking out a Fiskars ax. They own Gerber, so the hatchet you have was probably made by them.

Sears sells them cheap
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07183521000P
or you can buy the same damn thing rebranded as a Gerber for not-cheap
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/144

This ax is great: light, controllable, and goes through oak like nothing. No bells and whistles, just a great product. It never leaves my truck.

I got mine at a Sears attached to a trendy mall in the Valley, where there are a lot more people walking around buying Gucci bags than shopping for tools. I made my wife carry the ax. If you ever want flat out stares, walk through an urban mall with a tall hot blonde in a pink dress who is carrying a bright orange ax...

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The head has two tools: One is an ax for whatever you would use an ax for. The other is a grubbing hoe or mattock. It is designed for chopping tree roots. It works great for moving things like rocks out of the ground. Think of it as pry bar, or an ax blade turned 90 degrees -- that you don't mind cutting into the ground.

Here's an explanation on its use in trail building:
http://www.americantrails.org/resources/info/tools5.html

Gocha I knew what a mattock was but the other thing was new to me.

I almost wrote "Decorate your truck." :)
Hahaha that would have been funny.

VikingVince

Explorer

I agree with Fergie. Look at all equipment as if your life might depend on it. (within reason, I guess) The Estwing is a single tang axe...no joint between the axe head and the handle...that joint is the weakest part of any axe with an axe head connected to a handle and if it breaks when you really need it...well....

s7_511060_imageset_01

Cabelas has two sizes of this axe.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I would recommend checking out a Fiskars ax. They own Gerber, so the hatchet you have was probably made by them.

Sears sells them cheap
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07183521000P
or you can buy the same damn thing rebranded as a Gerber for not-cheap
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/144

This ax is great: light, controllable, and goes through oak like nothing. No bells and whistles, just a great product. It never leaves my truck.

I got mine at a Sears attached to a trendy mall in the Valley, where there are a lot more people walking around buying Gucci bags than shopping for tools. I made my wife carry the ax. If you ever want flat out stares, walk through an urban mall with a tall hot blonde in a pink dress who is carrying a bright orange ax...

Hahahahaha :Wow1: I can imagine actually, that's a riot . This would probably suit my need as the hatchet while cheap looking works very well I just wish it was heavier.

Aaron

Something

Adventurer
Will all of these axes rust if kept outside all the time?

I want a good option to mount to the bed of my truck.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Will all of these axes rust if kept outside all the time?

I've got mine mounted in an open truck bed with Quickfist clamps. After a couple of months of winter weather, it started to show light rust on the bare steel portions of the head. I brushed the rust off with a scothchbrite pad then gave it a light coating of spray paint. Figure I might have to do that once or twice a year. But I live in a very dry climate so that may not work for you. The handle is fiberglass so no worries about rust on that.

Something

Adventurer
I've got mine mounted in an open truck bed with Quickfist clamps. After a couple of months of winter weather, it started to show light rust on the bare steel portions of the head. I brushed the rust off with a scothchbrite pad then gave it a light coating of spray paint. Figure I might have to do that once or twice a year. But I live in a very dry climate so that may not work for you. The handle is fiberglass so no worries about rust on that.

I can live with that.
Thanks!

colter

Observer
gransfors bruks axes are the best I've ever used hands down. they're more expensive than most but are worth the money.

Last edited:
X3 on the Gerber/Fiskars

I own the Axe and the Hatchet. They are the best Axes I ever used. Everyone I camp with loves using them also, even though they all have thier own.

Mine stay in the vehicle, so I'm sot sure about the rust.

100_1288.jpg

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998