Need a real axe

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well after much debate in my own brain I decided (with the help of OJ) to purchase a Woodsman's Pal #284 the longer of the two. I felt it small enough for travel and big enough to conquer what I'll need it for. Tree clearing will be left up to my saws.

A

James86004

Expedition Leader
The History Channel show Modern Marvels did a whole episode on axes. It was fascinating learning about historic Michigan axes, modern racing axes, and everything in between.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have had the same wooden handle ax I got at wal-mart years ago. it has worked just fine.

Fish

Adventurer
Fire Axe

Someone said something about asking a firefighter. OK. Here's my two cents. Those who spoke of handle length and head weight are right on.

My high school physics and calculus days are long behind me, but I seem to remember something about force = mass x acceleration. Mass = the head weight. Acceleration is from handle length.

So I offer this Firefighter Axe

An 8 pound head weight. Of course, I don't think I'd want to use this all day...

Seriously, what do you want it for? Limbing? Opening up a roof? Cutting down trees? Building a fireline? (Or extrication) All have different tools which closely resemble an axe.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I actually have this axe mounted on my trailer. The owner came up to me while I was camping with his fire department and saw the cheap axe I had. He told me to replace my axe with one of his, for free. Nice guy and very nice axe as well. It is heavy and durable and I do not think I will need to ever buy another axe again.

Someone said something about asking a firefighter. OK. Here's my two cents. Those who spoke of handle length and head weight are right on.

My high school physics and calculus days are long behind me, but I seem to remember something about force = mass x acceleration. Mass = the head weight. Acceleration is from handle length.

So I offer this Firefighter Axe

An 8 pound head weight. Of course, I don't think I'd want to use this all day...

Seriously, what do you want it for? Limbing? Opening up a roof? Cutting down trees? Building a fireline? (Or extrication) All have different tools which closely resemble an axe.

computeruser

Explorer
I've been pleased with Corona's Forged Michigan Ax with Solid Fiberglass Handle (Model No. AX 70020). It's a good all-around ax, and has held up well to the elements. It's my wedge-bumping ax when felling trees, and rides in the vehicle with a machete for utility uses.

Iltis Ox-Head and Gransfors make very nice axes, too, but I'd feel guilty about leaving them strapped to the outside of a vehicle.

Fish

Adventurer
I actually have this axe mounted on my trailer. The owner came up to me while I was camping with his fire department and saw the cheap axe I had. He told me to replace my axe with one of his, for free. Nice guy and very nice axe as well. It is heavy and durable and I do not think I will need to ever buy another axe again.

Damn, I'm jealous. I don't actually have one, though I purchased three to give as gifts to my groomsmen when I got married!

78Bronco

Explorer
All you need is a 5lb,32" axe and a wedge and you can split anything you want. 8lb axe is overkill unless you are the size of a sasquatch.

Fish

Adventurer
Yep, as I mentioned in the post, I wouldn't want to use that for more than a few minutes. However, for it's intended use, it's great. It's not for splitting wood, it's for chopping roofs or striking another tool. Especially for the latter, F=MxA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior